Author Topic: Convert two piece paddle to one piece?  (Read 2662 times)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Convert two piece paddle to one piece?
« on: December 07, 2018, 04:40:07 AM »
I got a really good deal on a brand two piece CF paddle. The seller warned me about being careful with the adjustment closure - too lose and it slips, plus one of the screws could back out and get lost quicker than I might think. But he also warned me that too tight can crack CF. I mentioned the idea of maybe converting to a one piece and he said some people do.

So, I wanted to get opinions on whether or not it is a sensible thing to do and if it is, whether or not it is something I could easily do myself.

ETA - I am just under 5'8", so I could remove some of the length of the top piece before converting it if it is easy to cut. Between that and removing the closure, I might take another ounce or so off. Not all that significant, but more than 5%.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 05:39:39 AM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Convert two piece paddle to one piece?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 05:53:30 AM »
provide brand/model and pics, and yull get best advice.......

not from me, of course--but from the zone brain trust...........
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 06:22:59 AM »
provide brand/model and pics, and yull get best advice.......

not from me, of course--but from the zone brain trust...........
It's an off brand import - Epoch Power is the graphic on mine but it is the top one (or top two - I think the first two pictures are the same model):

http://epoch-power.net/index.php?c=product&id=340

Weight as shown is about 1 lb. I have been told that a lot of board makers/vendors use this as the CF paddle included in a package deal.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 07:01:32 AM »
Depends on how tight the adjustable part fits in the shaft, one option is to use hot glue to and do away with the adjuster clamp.
I did it once when my clamp failed so I removed it completely and just hot glue the two parts.

Between this, and cutting some of the shaft you might be able to reduce quite more than 1oz. Make sure to have 2 or more inches
overlap between the parts and seal the joint after gluing either with heat shrink tape or electrical tape.

There are plenty of threads here about hot gluing paddle parts, pretty straight forward after once twice around the block.
in progress...

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 07:18:45 AM »
burchas--wanna steal my zre?--too stiff for me, not so big on the oval--i believe it's epoxied to 73", but ive been told the epoxy can be freed up--it is gathering dust in my garage having been used one for, like 3 waves--i would absolutely let you steal it!

call it a miniature, private bklyn blowout.........
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 08:11:26 AM »
burchas--wanna steal my zre?--too stiff for me, not so big on the oval--i believe it's epoxied to 73", but ive been told the epoxy can be freed up--it is gathering dust in my garage having been used one for, like 3 waves--i would absolutely let you steal it!

call it a miniature, private bklyn blowout.........

I have done a lot of work with epoxy. I am not that good with fiberglass, but I have done it with success building small boats that were a little rough but seaworthy. Anyway, epoxy is very difficult to remove from anything but plastic and aluminum, especially in a sleeved joint that had a small gap. I would be interested in knowing how it gets freed up if you are able to. Being 5' 7.5", I do know that I will kill resale or at least really limit the population of potential buyers if I cut it and glue it. I don't expect to sell it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 08:25:46 AM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 10:31:53 AM »
You could join the the two pieces using carbon fiber sleeves...I've used these to repair broken shafts.

https://www.sollercomposites.com/CarbonSleeves.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA0ajgBRA4EiwA9gFOR62hUDLMC8vSP9TxXeiidMpwm3sCT9zisI4eLROzoLa3WOIRFwkQkBoCwdMQAvD_BwE

But, it will never be as good as a one piece paddle.  I would hang on to the adjustable, because (among other things) as your paddling style changes it will help you determine good fit for your next paddle.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 11:38:49 AM »
plenty of zoner posts describing how to free up epoxy where paddles have been glued with it

hot glue is the best--when i ordered the zre, i thought id asked for hot glue, but it came in epoxied--didnt want to have a stress fest, so i left it alone...........

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 12:13:21 PM »
Yes, EB if it's quick cure (5min) epoxy it wil part with heat.  Either dip it in a pot of boiling water (the DavidJohn approach) or carefully apply heat with a heat gun. 

But, if it's regular epoxy, it will not come apart.  So after a reasonable attempt, stop.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 12:47:10 PM »
Yes, EB if it's quick cure (5min) epoxy it wil part with heat.  Either dip it in a pot of boiling water (the DavidJohn approach) or carefully apply heat with a heat gun. 

But, if it's regular epoxy, it will not come apart.  So after a reasonable attempt, stop.

IME, many but not all 5 minute epoxies can be separated with heat. It depends on how much true epoxy versus polyester (or other filler) is in it. They add polyester because curing straight up pure epoxy in 5 minutes generates a crazy amount of heat. But some are "real" epoxy and do get crazy hot if you have more than a thin layer (even that gets hot but it dissipates into whatever you are gluing together.)
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 12:51:00 PM »
But, it will never be as good as a one piece paddle.  I would hang on to the adjustable, because (among other things) as your paddling style changes it will help you determine good fit for your next paddle.

Good points. The sellers comment about cracking CF if you tighten the adjuster too much just gives me a little anxiety.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

krash

• Rincon Status
  • Old fugger who loves to fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 06:42:55 AM »
If you have the length you like set and don't adjust it... go for it.

Remove the adjuster hardware, make sure you have 4 inches or so of overlap, sand the mating surface with like 80 grit for better grip, mix up some 5 minute epoxy if in a hurry or I'd use Gflex thickened epoxy adhesive, slide the pieces together twisting for good coverage, make sure the handle and blade are aligned and let it slip.

You will likely have a air-tight seal and may/will get air pressure resistance, pushing the ends apart, when pushing the parts together so be prepared to hold the pieces in place until the epoxy hardens.
Old fugger who just likes to fish

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal