Author Topic: JL Foil Sups flood market?  (Read 6121 times)

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: JL Foil Sups flood market?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2018, 04:52:26 AM »
Yep, we are all  thinking of, or planning "our next one".  At least I am anyway.  My first experience with my first Fugly build was a little disheartening.  At 6 feet x 30 inches it felt very small.  On small waves it seemed to work just fine but I much prefer my 7'4" SIMSUP for larger waves.  The fugly feels less stable and I realize I need to spend far more time learning how to use it correctly.  In flat water, it seems more stable than the SIMSUP but throw in some chop and wave action and things change quickly.  So now I fantasize about a board somewhere in between.  Smaller side bevels, smaller rear bevel. a more traditional plan shape.  Between making a new extra large wing, a new board and other adaptations.  I may be a little busy in the foreseeable future.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2019, 03:39:30 PM »
What do think of the 1st gen JL to compare to the 2nd gen JL foil boards for a beginnerI? I understand the new rails and tail makes it better. Also, do closely match the board volume to your sup surf with foil board at less lenght about the same width?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2019, 11:02:17 PM »
The reason foiling is so challenging is that there are so many moving parts. even talking about board stability is complex, because the question becomes "stable doing what???'" My new 6'11" is super stable sometimes, but in oily rollers it wobbles around so much it about makes me sick. It won't catch a wave in a straight paddle as easily as Mr. Fugly. but if I push one corner down as the wave lifts the tail and slice into it with a little pump it will catch a much smaller wave than fugly can. It's a weird sport. I'm glad it came around when I could still have fun with it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2019, 05:55:37 PM »
I agree with what PBill says above.

I have the 1st Gen JL Hovercraft, obviously it doesnt have all the bells and whistles (tapered tail, beveled rails, etc) of the next gen model.  But having said that i am not sure those design efficiencies would have helped me learn to foil any more quickly than the 1st gen.   With foiling, there are so many moving parts to learn and ideally having one component (board) be stable/constant helps you to focus on learning to foil.   6 months later i am ready to confidently move onto a smaller board.  I still enjoy riding the board tho, very comfortable.

BTW, i dont seen any other JL sups flooding the market here in so cal.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal