Author Topic: Possible foiling banned in the U.S.  (Read 5594 times)

SURFFOILS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Possible foiling banned in the U.S.
« on: November 26, 2018, 03:34:50 AM »
Has anyone else heard the rumour that foiling could be banned or limited to specific areas due to the danger to other water users ? I heard it in Ca.
 It’s a kinda left field rumour but it does have some substance in that foiling is globally and exponentially popular and has few constraints on its useage.
 There’s very few injuries but there is a small scare factor with the mast and wings.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Possible foiling banned in the U.S.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 05:05:51 AM »
I don't think foils belong at normal crowded surf spots but they shouldn't need to be banned.

The great advantage to foiling is that you can get away from everyone and have plenty of perfectly good foiling waves all to yourself.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 06:33:04 AM »
I remember when SUP went through the same growing pains. Surfers wanted them banned, claiming they were dangerous. The coast guard wanted them classified as vessels, requiring the user to wear a life vest. Foil will survive as long as the people riding them use common sense. Number one rule is don’t foil near surfers. Surfers hate everyone so it’s a good idea just to stay away.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 10:09:19 PM »
I have not heard of this.

I have no articles or news returned from searching on “foil surfing ban California.”

I’m afraid this is fake news. I also have to call attention to your mention of the mast. That part feels pretty specific my man. What gives? If you heard this for real,  post up the source.

I will share one important difference between foils and SUPs. In Malibu (and OC, and Hawaii from what I see on social media) the most influential surfers (dare I say coolest?) are foiling.

No ones banning foils at Malibu while Sarlo and the boys are riding them. SUP never had the best surfers promoting it. Also, there are so few foilers that there’s no way it’s even visible to the lifeguards.

Now... e-foils? Totally not going to be banned from the surf because they already are. If you heard about a ban, that’s what you heard. No need to ban them they are already illegal in the surf zone, as are all powered craft.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 10:35:18 PM »
But as to the popularity let’s talk about that. I’m sort of fascinated by this as I think the hype is way beyond the reality. I’ve been checking out some of the major brands social media followers. It’s almost staggeringly tiny. Most of the popular foil accounts on Instagram have 5,000 followers or less. All the brands have maybe 1,200, other than GoFoil (39k) and Naish (9k) who were early to the game and well promoted. Axis, Signature, F-one, all have under 2,000 and some under 1,000. You know that way more people follow them than own a foil from them.

I really think there are less than 10,000 foilers in the world. Maybe even 5,000. Pono, Beasho, you guys are good with the numbers. Where do you two put the worldwide population? I’m gonna say that CA has less than 1,000 foilers (500?) based on what I see in the water and random things like the west coast foil club having under 7,000 followers while being super influential online in this tiny niche. The UK foiling account has 220 followers.

You can drive 30 miles of coast in LA County and there’s 3-4 people foiling on a Saturday. Maybe OC is different  but I’m not seeing people out up here and everyone in the lineup is like, “I saw a guy one time” like it’s Bigfoot or a UFO.

Also, we see nothing in the classifieds and if you follow the path on here, guys are upgrading all the time as foils come out. There’s nothing on craigslist and we’re 2 years into this thing. The Chinese guys on Aliexpress are showing tiny sales numbers too. If the cheap knockoffs aren’t selling a lot then it’s not a real business yet.

SURFFOILS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 12:37:49 AM »
Hi SCB, I think it’s more of a litigious reaction to the clear potential of what happens when foil meets child.
 Not that it’s a ‘clear and present danger’ but it only takes one example to make a precedence that law should have pre-emptied.
 I got the word from a CA foiler.
 It’s the sort of thing that could be fake news but could be the rumblings of a decision that ends foiling in public recreation areas.
I hope not.
 As for the popularity, while  there’s an amount of people who foil or make their own foils and post about it,  there’s also a lot that foil but don’t post or wish to share.

You guys never heard of me until a year ago and yet I’ve made over 300 foils over 13 years.
Im currently in discussion with one of the guys here to make a foil for Mavs so I believe there’s a lot of interest that’s not showing on the radar, because it’s happening in the background.
And I’m sure surfboard manufacturers would be looking to improve their customer base by expanding into new territory with technology they already understand. Witness how many new foil makers have popped up in the past 2 years ?
Are they all new companies or spinoffs of similar industry players ?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 12:50:42 AM by SURFFOILS »

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 10:57:03 AM »
I see more and more people foiling, especially prone foiling in southern california. Sano is the place, but you are far away from surfers so it is all good.

The bad thing is that most of them don't use leash... Most of those guys are very good and the waves are small but if anything happens one day, it might be very bad for foiling. I actually did foil without leash but only when I'm by myself on tiny wave but still I don't think it is good, I actually bought a 5' comp ultra thin leash that is great for foiling.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 10:59:19 AM by frenchfoiler »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 06:46:35 PM »
Totally see it growing but really, on a big day, how many people out at San O, which is the biggest spot in SoCal? And then how many out on your usual sessions. I’m curious if I’m just not seeing folks or if it’s still as rare as I think.

It’ll grow but I think we’re a long way from regulation.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 07:10:45 PM »
SurfFoils--I love your posts and I'm certain we'll be buds if we ever meet, but that's pure deflection, dude. It's OK, nobody cares, you probably heard some random nonsense, the world is totally full of shit these days. Probably always was, but these days it's gets stuffed in our face every day.

As for foiling growing. I'm sure each area will go through a spurt. Here in Maui, it seems to have peaked at a relatively small number. Lots of foils on Craigslist. Lots of good surfers trying it, doing OK, and then deciding they like surfing better. I love it, I'm hooked, but I don't think it's for everybody, it's probably not even for 1 percent. The big growth will probably be prone foiling. Good shortboarders can really rock at it, and the boards they are using are microscopic. Big Mike, who makes me look like Wally Cox (I think he's 6'8" 280) is getting a 5'11" foilboard. He, like all the good shortboard folks, is turning harder, going faster, making more waves, and generally ripping while the longboard/SUP refugees struggle more than a bit. The good SUP foilers like Kathy Shipman, Dave and Ausin Kalama, RR, Junya, etc. make SUP foiling look as good as it can, but honestly, it's not a spectator sport.

I just don't see it being more than a tiny niche. I've been wrong before (understatement) but unless it suddenly becomes a lot easier, a lot cheaper, and a lot safer all at the same time, it's gonna be dinky.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 11:48:57 PM »
its not just a rumor at malibu Surfrider anyway...foiling is on the way out....by next summer the lifeguards expect to have new rules in place by the city council or whoever it is that decides these things....

there are about 6 of us that foil.malibu regularly this past summer and we were very caredul and conscious of our appearances and behaviors in the water...we contacted every new guy  we saw and made sure they understood the  rules  etiquette  and were competent on the foil and under control...self.policing...

it didnt matter....nobody got hit...nobody got close.... nobody was ever in danger.... but there are lawyers lawyers lawyers everywhere at malibu and everybody is a whiner....   they go so fast...  thats like a big knife blade... what if they run somebody over they will get cut in half..
 bla bla blah...

the whiners have spoken and the lifeguards are terrified ... this is socal after all where everybody is just aching for a reason to sue someone or everyone...

.. :(

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 08:41:36 AM »
People in Malibu just got jealous how much fun you guys were having. Maybe some of the surf schools are also complaining because you're foiling in their territory around kiddie bowl between 1st & 2nd?

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 10:19:15 AM »
I've only seen 3 people foiling in Lajolla.  I did not see it happen but heard the lifeguards kicked some out at LJshores. Was not a crowded day.   I don't doubt this as the lifeguards used to kick out kayakers, and SUPs there too about 8 years ago. 

I haven't surfed at San O for years but we all know the locals banded together to get kayaks and waveskis banned, and eventually led to the OK /KO rule and exile to Old Mans, last I was there that applied to anybody with a paddle; i don't doubt some influential prone boardies are unhappy with newbies flying cutting tools through the breaks. So I could certainly see it happening in California.   Likely  they could  be regulated out of major surf breaks if anything happens.

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 10:47:58 PM »
There's a bill here about to pass on Maui banning all foil assisted craft with the use of a paddle.  It's included in prop 551 and buried deep.  Those SUP foilers gonna have to learn to stand up again.  Here's the link....  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMIsNaJqZ8M

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 04:44:13 AM »
The number of foilers  are indeed low.  Going on 2 years now and have only now, finally,  bumped into a foiler while out there.  That occurred in RI, not even in my home state of Maine.  With all the negatives to foiling( cost, learning curve) I just cant see a rapid rise in participant numbers here in New England.  It'll be such a slow increase that other surfers may just have the time to become comfortable seeing them.  Unlike what happened with SUP surfing.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2018, 07:47:32 AM »
The number of foilers  are indeed low.  Going on 2 years now and have only now, finally,  bumped into a foiler while out there.  That occurred in RI, not even in my home state of Maine.

Let me guess . . . You met Paul ::)  He is my East coast FOIL Amigo. 

I pulled up to the lot in early June and there was a foil board on the ground behind a huge van. 

"Let's go foiling I yelled" and we became fast friends.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 07:52:27 AM by Beasho »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal