Author Topic: Maui Biathlon  (Read 1384 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Maui Biathlon
« on: December 02, 2018, 08:58:19 PM »
Tough Maui Biathlon today, but fun. I love the opportunity to do this.

Foiling at Ka'a from 7:00 AM to 10:30, and then a marginal downwinder from Thorn Beach to the Andaz. The foiling was a lot better than it looked from the beach. I got a lot of nice waves on the outer reef, and rode them for a long distance (for me). I had one really hard get-off that involved my paddle slipping down and getting caught under the front wing. I just wasn't paying attention to it. Of course the paddle resisted movement and the wing had lots of power behind it. I'm surprised I didn't break the blade, but it just slammed me hard and fast into the water head first and stunned my shoulder. I thought I might have torn something, but it loosened up and was OK.

The downwinder was the tough part. I think that was about the slowest Andaz run I've done, though I didn't track my time. There were plenty of bumps to be had but I couldn't connect many. I don't know if it was me or the marginal wind and swell. Anyway, I should sleep well tonight.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Maui Biathlon
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 07:00:08 PM »
Another Maui Biathlon today, but the quality was reversed. I waited too long to head to Ka'a to foil, the wind was on it. I gave it a go anyway and got a few good rides. but it was short and brutal.

With all the wind it seemed a South Side downwinder was feasible, and indeed. it was. By 1:00PM when I met up with Bill Boyum and Steven Ross it was howling. We went the extra few miles to Polo beach and it was rocking the whole way except for the last half mile where the wind died off and the rebound off the rock walls made the bounce around like a bongo board. I usually like the crazy end of a Polo Beach run, but without wind, it was too nuts and a did most of it on my knees. Fine day though, great conditions, good fun and good friends.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 09:19:44 PM »
Were you on your foil on the Kihei run? I noticed the wind was looking pretty darn good on the cams. Wished some of that wind would show up on the weekends so I could enjoy it.  :(

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 09:58:24 PM »
No, my downwind foiling has been a bust so far. I was on my Bullet 17 V1, as always.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal