Author Topic: Winter SUP surf - wetsuit glove review  (Read 10995 times)

supthecreek

Re: Winter SUP surf - wetsuit glove review
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2018, 05:54:32 AM »
Stoney ---> booties:

Zippered booties for sure!
That's the "Creek easy" way

When I am dead tired... it's 15* and windy, last thing I want to do is throw my back out, struggling to pull off some stupid tight wetsuit boot.

I went zippered years ago... I simply step in, step out.

My feet are as warm in my 5mm zippers, as they were when imprisoned by standard booties.

NOTE:
only downside to my 5mm NeoSport boots:
the zipper has become looser over the years, so my left boot unzips in heavy wipeouts... so I have to zip up again.

If I was going to be here all winter, I'd buy a fresh set.... but I'm going full Monty Snowbird again soon  ;D

They also come in 7mm for even more protection.

NEsurfSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2018, 07:40:21 AM »
Creek:  watching your video I was getting OJ flashbacks.  I guess they should have removed the water damn (latex gloves) from that demo. 

But otherwise, great review and advice.......as always.
One piece "electric" Creek 9'4"
Two piece Sunova Creek 9'4"
CoreVac Cannibal Blade 8'8
Angulo surfa 9'8
Naish Mana 10'
Red Sport 11'
2014 Naish Glide 14'
Werner nitro
Black project three part paddle

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2018, 08:10:37 AM »
creek--i know well the punishing imprisonment of booty bondage, and the injury risk one assumes doffing and donning--(and I dont like the bondage--tho nothing wrong with it for those who do..consentingly!.....)

but those things look like they instantly fill with water, and become sloshing ankle/foot weights....

now most booties do ultimately leak, tho my dipped 5mm oneill originals stay pretty darned dry
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2018, 09:34:42 AM »
Creeker:  I picked up a pair of these (Flashbomb) gloves in 5mm a month or so ago just to have for deep winter conditions (Jan-Mar).  Not sure when/if I'll need them but reassuring that I've got them and stoked to see your review to confirm my hopes of these being a good glove choice. I supported my local shop and paid $49.00 for the 5mm.

I think I've posted in the past about my 3mm (XL) Quick Silver's that I've been using for the last couple of years.  LOVE these (pic below).  They're holding up well no rips/tears/etc., and slip on like a pair of garden gloves.  I used these gloves from last Oct thru right the spring in water temps in the 30's and 40's and never froze the digits. Grip is great too.

I went out this morning and my feet got a little chilly after a hour or so in my 5mm boots but my hands in these remained warm....of course my feet were in the water and my hands just in the air for the most part.  Still in my 4/3 suit this am with local water temp 48F.....NOT looking forward to going back to the 6/5 front zip!!!

Stay warm all!  8) 8)

Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

supthecreek

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2018, 01:09:13 PM »
creek--i know well the punishing imprisonment of booty bondage, and the injury risk one assumes doffing and donning--(and I dont like the bondage--tho nothing wrong with it for those who do..consentingly!.....)

but those things look like they instantly fill with water, and become sloshing ankle/foot weights....

now most booties do ultimately leak, tho my dipped 5mm oneill originals stay pretty darned dry

Eastie, the zippered boots have a water shield inside the zipper.
Easy on/off cuz the barrier is accordion style... but keeps flush minimal.

Plus there isn't a ton of room for excess water in the boots.... but I like a little, so it can warm up and insulate my foot.

NOTE:
Wetsuit boots do NOT work well for winter flat-water paddling.... totally different boot for that.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2018, 08:13:11 AM »
hear ya creek--prolly the accordion helps
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2018, 04:45:58 AM »

Eastie, the zippered boots have a water shield inside the zipper.
Easy on/off cuz the barrier is accordion style... but keeps flush minimal.

Plus there isn't a ton of room for excess water in the boots.... but I like a little, so it can warm up and insulate my foot.

NOTE:
Wetsuit boots do NOT work well for winter flat-water paddling.... totally different boot for that.

I'm seconding what Creek said about the boots. I used to use 5mm boots for cold water paddling. Now I'm using 7mm.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

supnsurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2018, 10:13:18 AM »
Jim, are the Hyperflex the same as Neosport ?
Rawson 8'8" Impala

L41 8'8"

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2018, 10:15:06 AM »
Rick,  I got the 5/3 version of those Ripcurl's last year.  I was not sure I would be able to hold the paddle with them when I first put them on.  I am able to surf with them.  Helps that I have large hands.  The wrist seal is great on these.   WARM !!
JP

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2018, 11:05:06 AM »
I own a pair in a small. The gel helps to paddle and keeps them from shredding. WARM!😎
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2018, 11:39:17 AM »
my best gear is all Flashbomb.  Its worth the price.

also cant speak to their booties......but Hyperflex gloves are the WORST gloves on the market.  I had 2 pairs fall apart literally in 3-4 sessons.  Stitching failed both times.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2018, 11:59:05 AM »
i have always been an oneill loyalist, and love the TB, but i noticed xcel is now using japanese limestone nanoprene in their drylock x model. so when i recently replaced my 3/2, i got a drylock x. it's great. not sure which i prefer: my psychofreak 4/3 with TB2. my oneill pyrotech 5.5/4 is TB1 (there is now TB3), and 5 yrs old, quite worn. so its time has come.

i ordered LT and XL of both the xcel drylock x 5/4, and the oneill psycho tech TB3--4 suits! Gonna try em all on, keep one, return three. Seems kinda cheesy of me, but how else to get it right?

and i agree with jim k. wetsuits are like cars: a  2019 camry (23k$ new) is way more pleasing to drive than a (50k$ new) 2005 530i---ie even the cheapest wetsuit fabrics offered now perform light years better than the "best" most expensive of 10 years ago--prolly overkill that i buy top of the line suits, but im old and get cold, so i coddle self in this case...............

flashbomb looks nice too--at first i was skeptical about the interior fuzz, (none in TB interior), but the drylockx has it and it seems fine--i will let you know what i end up choosing...3/4 suits arrived a moment ago, but i gotta run to the endodontist--fun
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2018, 02:41:55 PM »
I have a ten year-old O'Neil Mutant which I have to wear but hate. Eastbound, you just inspired me more to replace it. I'm drooling over those new SUPSKINS.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2018, 12:28:49 PM »
icky--if you can wear an o'neill xl, the pyrotech 5.5/4 i am replacing would be an uptick from your mutant--it's yours--let me know if itll fit you

and anyone else, for that matter, pm me--youll be shocked i am replacing it--has years left in it for sure--oh....and ive never peed this suit--just couldnt do it--the suit is pretty watertight, so it'd be me and my pee--no go that!

i decided to buy the xl in the oneill psychotech 5.5/4 (essentially the same suit, newer, with TB3, 2 generations improved technobutter)

after the pita of trying all four on, the o'neill stood out--who knows how they'd compare when wet, but not an option to test that way

net, the oneill TB3 felt stretchier, lighter, slid on easiest, and has this kind of gummy feel to it that seems great--same feel as the TB2 in my 4/3--it aint fuzzy like the drylock x, or the flashbomb, but neither is my pyrotech, and i have never been cold in that suit, down to 15F air temp, and god know what water temp--so i tried to stay and decided to stay.....
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2019, 08:56:11 AM »
I bought the 5/3 RipCurl Flashbombs 5 fingers and my hands froze in 35F air / 38F water 10mph winds.  I bought XL as I have thick fingers. I have noticed that my hands go numb quicker as I get older (50). Also, my grip on the paddle felt really off from the get go. In the middle of the palm they gripped well, but the fingers were slipping a lot.

When I switched back to my NRS gloves in mid-session, there was a night and day improvement. My grip and control of the paddle improved dramatically. It literally felt like a different paddle. Also, for some reason my hands were warmer. Water got into the glove, as it doesn't have any sort of dam and has quite a short sleeve, and my fingers stayed toasty. Is this because the small amount of water that gets between the neoprene and my body heats up?  Either way, I can't recommend these gloves enough.

https://www.nrs.com/product/25039.02/nrs-maxim-gloves-closeout

If anybody in NYC wants a brand new 5/3 pair of Flashbomb's, message me I will sell them super cheap.

ps., I also had some 5mm o'neil lobster claws, and my lonely finger also got numb. Switched back to the NRS and the same thing. Toasty.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal