Author Topic: Tips needed for discretely fitting in the line up.  (Read 10375 times)

bigmak

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tips needed for discretely fitting in the line up.
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2018, 02:04:05 PM »
Hey Will,

Just wondering where you're at on the Central Coast?  Morro Bay/Cayucos area or Pismo?  I live up in the Bay, but I learned to ride waves down there and still am down there at least a few times a year.  Seems there's always plenty of areas to surf in Morro Bay and not have to be in a crowd, particularly further north towards Cayucos which is where I prefer to go out, although right near the Rock and the Cayucos pier it's always ridiculously crowded.  Same at the pier in Pismo, but there's always Shell Beach and down by the dunes, right?  I've also gone out at spots in MB where there's a group or two of older guys out SUS'ing with no young groms around. 

This discussion is also funny for me as someone who bodyboarded before SUS'ing.  I never surfed prone.  While body boarding is more popular in SoCal and Central Coast (where my custom Toobs board was built), hardly anybody sponges in the Bay Area. Twenty years ago when I first moved here to the Bay, I felt like an outcast on my sponge and tried to make myself scarce.  My friends who surfed seemed embarrassed to be seen with me.  Also had to get used to surfers constantly heckling me for sponging, mainly because I sat inside and got all the waves they were too far out to catch.   

I'm often times the rarity on my stand up at my local breaks, although there's still quite a few people who SUS up here.  I tend to paddle out on my knees because I'm lazy and stay on my knees until I see sets rolling in.  Otherwise I'm literally towering over people.   I've noticed that now in my 40's with lots of grey in my beard, people don't talk shit to me much, but it also helps that I'm 6'5" @ 280.  I've definitely gotten a bit of stink eye near the Rock in Morro Bay, but nobody had the balls to say anything to me.         
Custom Kronos 10'x33
Custom Foote 10'4 x 34
Fanatic Allwave 9'10 x 33
Starboard Avanti 11'2 x 36
Joe Blair 11'3 x 38
Naish Glide GTW 14'x30

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2018, 03:31:38 PM »
I'm thinking you've probably already tried it, but back when I lived in Pismo (where I'm pretty sure you're close to), back before SUPs, it would become packed on both sides of the pier on good days.  I'd go way north of the pier, like more than 100 yards north, or more if needed.  I always seemed to find some good waves, alone, there are some sand bars along there that aren't obvious when looking at that area from the beach, but they are there.  I'd often end up out in front of the Kon Tiki, just me, or sometimes with a couple of my close friends.
Palisades was also a good alternative if St. Ann's and Sewers was crowded, but I'd deal with the crowd at St. Ann's if it was good, that was my spot.
It takes a quiver to do that.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2018, 03:41:53 PM »
 Hi Mark

I live near Pismo and I'm referring to the Pismo Beach pier and reefs at Shell beach area.  These spots have gotten very crowded.  I usually surf Oceano dunes area but when it gets to big I head for the reefs. It's 1 hour north to Morro Bay and 1.5 hours south to Santa Barbara. I much prefer to surf close to home.

I have made a decision. I'm just going to surf the local reefs a lot more this winter. Crowds and attitudes is just the norm here now.   8)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2018, 05:38:35 PM »
What Creek said. except for all the experience stuff....:)

I'm laid back on the water for the most part but I'm not out there to fit in or please anyone but myself. I stand up and paddle almost constantly, standing is the reason I'm out there. On my knees or prone does nothing for me.
I'm considerate  by nature, on the water or off. I try do be as my Mom taught me. Do unto others and all that. I'm definitely not a wave hog but when I get one that's mine...it's mine. But please don't fuck with me....especially just because I'm on a SUP. Very happy to live on the east coast where it's less of a problem but so tired of the anti-SUP shit still. Zero patience for it. Glad it so rarely comes my way.

Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2018, 12:08:03 PM »
if I lived in Cali I would wear a TRUMP T shirt and MAGA hat just to pissemoff more!  :D

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2018, 12:55:54 PM »
At 6'7 there is nothing I can do discretely. Evening sitting in the lineup, I look like I'm standing.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2018, 01:19:53 PM »
Just showing up regularly at any place helps too. Familiarity seems to diffuse uncertainty in people.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2018, 01:52:36 PM »
Just showing up regularly at any place helps too. Familiarity seems to diffuse uncertainty in people.

Good tip. I agree.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Stev0

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2018, 04:07:03 PM »
Be confident but make sure you only take your fair share, do not take every wave just because you can. Show that you're actively leaving waves by sitting on your board ( kneeling looks like you're more of a beginner). Keep away from an obvious surfers peak. Surfers tend to follow SUP'ers for some reason - I think it's sometimes because we can see sets coming and tend to find the best point to catch a wave , but there's certainly an element of hostility- don't let it wind you up - its just like crows buzzing a bird of prey, so just keep moving. Avoid confrontation - nothing is guaranteed to ruin your day more.
I've been Sup surfing regularly at a very hostile surf beach for  12 years. Following these rules I've only been involved in 3 verbal exchanges over this time - all of which ruined my day.

ospreysup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2018, 10:13:26 PM »
All good stuff! I'm still waiting for someone to show me their deed to the ocean! I am very fortunate to have several sup friendly breaks but regardless  I'm not giving in until someone shows me that deed.I have only had one run in and  I'm not sure about all the appearance stuff of kneeling vs. standing  but I wear Sup Surfing as a badge of courage. I remember when I started sup surfing hearing in an interview, I think with Dave Kalama, "the best surfer is the one having the most fun."  So I don't want a run in and I am sure to do the right things, paddling around, giving waves away that are mine, saying hello and alerting the proners to an approaching set  but I am also always sure to have the most fun. I really think thats why proners get ticked because we can have fun in so many different conditions. So sometimes (when I'm in the mood which is rare) that means being "a big dog", sometimes I paddle a few blocks down and get a smaller wave all to myself! Maybe I'll go get an outside wave that you can only catch on a sup and sometimes I'll get a late take off on a wave everyone let go. But I'm not letting anyone steal my fun because I'm on a SUP having fun! I gave that away in my one run in....it will not happen again!

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2018, 03:27:28 AM »
runins are to be avoided

even if you shut a dbag down, it detracts from, or may even ruin any positive psychology (STOKE!) that can be enjoyed...........

funny to read a lot of what i do---like, often if a dbag says something, i point at my ears and shake my head---so funny.....

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2018, 05:35:39 AM »
I've been watching this for awhile

I kinda approach this a little different.
BEFORE I paddle out I look at the conditions, Crowd and who/where they are lined up
Then I decide on EXACTLY how many waves I'll catch (I also consider my time frame due to shop hours/ personal responsibilities)
Then I paddle wide sit down reassess my waves projection and just flow with the group Not wave hogging but when it rolls to me I take it (making sure I don't screw it up) I knee paddle out (its easier and safer for EVERYONE) I sit on my board till I'm ready to catch a wave (makes me less of a standout) When it looks like one is coming my way I stand up and catch it
Missing waves is a NO NO!

I also have a kind of weird relationship with the lineup.
Since I'm the retailer promoting all aspects of SUP in my area.
Surfer/SUPers/Life gaurds/ grandmothers and every other "Tom, Dick & Harry" come up to me (on the beac,h on the water, when I'm half dressed on the street afterwards) and say "You gotta tell "That guy" to ......."
OK I make polite, quiet & discreet "suggestions" to SUPers who are really out of their comfort zone and have always been received well. But in most cases I respond "THIS IS NOT MY OCEAN I'm not going to try to legislate it"
Even other retailers in other surf spots want to tell me to legislate a surf spots I only rarely surf.

Moral of the story:
Be considerate, catch what you paddle for ride it as well as you can, Be safe and stay out of other people BIZ.

Sorry for the rant

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2018, 06:29:36 AM »
Right on Jim!  My philosophy is, if I miss a wave in a full line up, its get out of the way and back to the end of the line.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2018, 08:08:57 AM »
if i miss a nice one (that was, in fact, mine) and others have deferred, i not only go to the very back of the line, i might even slither away from the main peak for a self-imposed timeout

sadly, many dont practice this--i am amazed at guys who miss a wave, where everyone lets them have it, and then they just figger they'll go and grab the next one, since after the miss they are finally in good position---why not?? .........dbaggage

and i stay off the main peaks when it's crowded--slide by a grab a setter now and then, but dont linger----and when the proners are so tight they could be holding hands, i just go elsewhere---why mess with their polyamorous romance?
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

socalgremmy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2018, 09:28:31 AM »
I appreciate all the advice on this thread.
Am not 6'7" at 280# (more like 5'10" and 185#), but would stand up to those lay-down stinkeyes if I could just advance to a proficient level of SUS'ing and feel more confident.
Problem is, on my Sunova "Creek" 9-1, in anything but very glassy conditions, I fall in alot and miss alot of waves. After 8 months, I'm still pretty unstable in chop. Granted, riding waves, I love it. But, it's definitely not a stability machine, nor was it advertised as such. I was hoping for both: stability and performance.
It makes hanging out in the lineup uncomfortable, so, I hang out to the sides and get the leftovers.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal