Author Topic: Tips needed for discretely fitting in the line up.  (Read 10374 times)

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Tips needed for discretely fitting in the line up.
« on: November 23, 2018, 09:08:25 PM »

Where I live has gotten very crowded with surfers in the last 4 years.  Most of the time there are only a few stand up surfers out but plenty of lay down surfers.  I have noticed a down swing of stand up surfing in my area in the last two years.  There are only a few spots to surf so traveling to a less crowded location is out for me.

I'm polite out in the water and always try an spread the stoke.  I give a lot of waves away, let entire sets go by and try and be patient.  I've been surfing many years and I do get some good ones.  I've shied away the last couple of years from the crowded spots on good days and chose to surf closed out beach break waves instead.  I really have to psych myself up for surfing in these crowded areas but it's the sign of the times here in California.  I've decided this winter I'm going to try xtra hard to fit into the crowded line up and sup surf it more often.  Sup surfing the closed out bigger days that I used to has become dangerous and no fun.

I usually surf the crowded spots when the winds pick up, tide isn't right or when it looks less crowded.  The stink eye I get and the bad vibe just paddling out really affects me when it happens... but it's just the way it is here.  I'm a lifelong surfer with a bad neck and dodgy right shoulder.  That's why I enjoy sup surfing so much.  It doesn't hurt my body.  I would continue lay down surfing in these crowds if I could but thats out. I'm coming to the Stand Up Zone for any good tips while sup surfing in the crowds.?

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Tips needed for discretely fitting in the line up.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 09:45:03 PM »
You're doing all the right things (letting waves go,etc), so at a certain point, you've just gotta develop some thicker skin.
When they see that you can surf, it helps. I'm respectful, but not Mr Nice Guy and let them have all the waves.
Don't let them develop a bully mentality whereby you're nice, they take advantage, and vicious circle.
If they make a bone head move (e.g. drop in on someone, or miss a wave), I let him see me watching--put him in his place.
Stand up for your right to surf there.
Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 05:50:18 AM »
Hi Will

This is a good topic, because many folks experience the same concerns.
So I will write the long answer.... cuz it's as complex, as it is simple.

Simple:
Being a life long surfer, you already know the drill.
Just surf as you always did as a proner, without over doing your SUP advantage.

Complex:
Less SUPs in the water is a good thing.... if they were increasing, the anxiety from surfers would get worse.
I road trip a lot (frequently hours from home)
I always go to good breaks
I like it best when I am the only SUPster at a break

There are always "A"team breaks and "B"team breaks
I tend to leave the best "A" team breaks alone.... but will surf the best of the second tier breaks
Usually that breaks down to... super hollow are tube riding spots, that the best surfers prefer.
Points and reefs that break softer, are where most of the "B" team surfs

One thing you have to realize is that 80% of surfers in a "B" team line up aren't very good, and don't get a lot of waves.
Most of the good guys are decent people, so all you have to deal with is a few D'bags

Surfing is a "Big Dog" sport, so in order to compete at the peak, you must earn your place in any line-up, same as you did as a surfer.

That almost NEVER happens by being polite and giving away too many waves that you are in position for.
Etiquette is a fallacy that almost never happens in the surf world.
No one knows when it is your "turn"... it's always their turn.

Status is achieved by being respectful of the rules, but using all your wave and conditions knowledge to find waves you can "claim" by being in the best position, and go for it!
Don't backdown... surfers love that and will use that against you..

In the very infrequent times that someone gives me shit, just for being a SUPster, I paddle right to them and tell them to shut the fuck up... they usually just paddle away when you call their bluff.
Line-up politics aren't for the feint of heart.
It's been exactly the same for the past 54 years as a surfer.

I always traveled alone, to the best breaks in the world.
Sunset Beach, Pipeline, Hossogor, Noosa, Burleigh Head, Ragland, Swami's, Blacks, the Ranch, San Miguel, Sebastian Inlet...
doesn't matter, it always been the same... prone or SUP

My SUP tactics in a crowded proner line-up, at a good break:

Paddle out wide
NEVER be in the way. Period.
It happens... but really go out of the way to stay way clear of the rider on the wave.

survey the crowd... learn who's who.
There is always a dividing line between the chargers and the also-rans.
I will pick a spot where the biggest sets will swing wide of the main peak, where that surfers can't get to fast enough.
Usually outside of the also-rans
I don't worry about the also-rans and will take the best set waves....
just be aware that the also-rans will always scramble for the shoulder and get in your way.

After a I grab a good set wave, I might move right inside of the main peak.
Note: Surfers tend to push each other further outside to claim the best waves
That frequently means they get too far out to actually catch many waves
I simply snag some smaller inside ones they miss
(you have to know how to stay out of the way, when main peak guys get a set)

Then I'll go outside main peak and grab a prime set wave.... then I'll move back over to the "swing wide" spot again
Move around the break... so no one feels your presence for too long.

Pick good waves... and  make the most of them.

I don't get the whole "Wave count" thing.... I have always been a "set surfer".
Quality matters far more than sheer numbers for me.

When I am established at a break:
I am usually the furthest guy outside.

I have a video of a proner from New Jersey (who hates SUP) saying:
"You're the most invisible SUPer I have ever seen.... you don't bug anyone, but you get more waves than anyone in the water"  ;D ;D

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 06:59:40 AM »
Not much to add to Creek's post, great information.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 07:51:25 AM »

Surfing is a "Big Dog" sport, so in order to compete at the peak, you must earn your place in any line-up, same as you did as a surfer.

That almost NEVER happens by being polite and giving away too many waves that you are in position for.
Etiquette is a fallacy that almost never happens in the surf world.
No one knows when it is your "turn"... it's always their turn.

Paddle out wide
NEVER be in the way. Period.

Pick good waves... and  make the most of them.

Great stuff Creek!  Thanks for taking the time to put all that out there.  I couldn't agree more regarding taking waves when you are in position.  Especially here in SoCal where there are so many good longboarders who can catch just as many, if not more, waves then me.  I take my time paddling back out and will even pick off a couple on my way back out if nobody is on them, but once I'm in position I take what comes to me.  And most importantly, when you are in position and grab a nice one...don't f@ck it up :)

The only thing I would add is that I also sit down in the line up quite a bit.  Lot easier to chat people up when you're not standing over them or paddling circles around them.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 08:37:34 AM »
When I’m at a proper spot I tend to go a little narrower, same length.

Ride single fin, too many fins calls attention to you.

Don’t use traction, wax only.

When paddling I try to use both sides and not favor one over the other. Also try to be a bit lower on my board.

Paddle placement is unusual too I keep it sort of tucked. In between the seats of my car.

Ok, just kidding. Creek really covered it. But I will say that if you can prone surf at all, showing up a few times and just sitting in the lineup prone does actually help me out here. When I do paddle, people say hey and note it but they know I won’t hog.

The note about not giving ground is right on too. You have to get in the mix from time to time and don’t miss waves when they come. People pay attention.

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 08:38:39 AM »
I live in HB and surf the pier mostly or just north.  They hate sup's here. 
My tactics are to mostly prone paddle.  I could paddle out in any size beach break standing up  but it seems less obtrusive if i just paddle.out laying down. 

I dont sit outside and paddle around standing up.  I sit a little on the inside, wait for the second wave of the set and jump to my feet quickly and drop in deep in the pocket with only one or two stokes of the paddle.   I can usually kick out and grab the wave behind it with afew strokes pulling wide of the pocket.  That takes me out of the line up for a good 15 minutes and ill paddle back out on my stomache.

Sometimes people dont realize im even sup'ing.   If im getting a lot of stink eye,  ill throw my paddle out to deep water and catch a few really deep prone paddling, i purposely take off behind the foam ball and pump around and call off the stink eye'er. 

It works for me,,,im 6'3 240 and really dont give a fuck about much,,,including getting hurt,,,so that helps as well,,,hahahha

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 08:41:38 AM »
Taking off deeper prone is awesome and hilarious. What a great way to set your position. “Dude, you dropped in on me!” So good.

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 08:54:13 AM »
Where in California are you surfing?   California has more than 850 miles of Coastline.   It's hard to believe there are only two spots to surf where you  live.  Two famous named breaks with crowds I believe, but the beauty of the paddle is it lets you go anywhere on the coast efficiently.  If you have to paddle out on your belly and pretend you don't have a paddle, just skip and do the lay-down/proner thing.  Windandsea, Steamer Lane, etc ...  Some breaks you are not going to fit in no matter what, it just doesn't matter, there are more good spots than where the herds congregate.  The herds formed years ago based on public parking availability.  The best breaks that you have to hike or paddle to in California, you won't get any stink eye when you show up.  If you show up at your local break  both when it's bad and when it's good and people know you surf in control and don't hog waves, or paddle for waves you are not going to get,  you won't have much of a problem. 

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 09:13:59 AM »
I personally live a couple blocks up from the pier,,,i dont like to travel, i have good waves with a 5 minute walk,,,it makes more sense, to me, to fit in and get my waves without the stink eye and paddle battle.   

Standing over everybody, feels kinda dorky

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 09:33:54 AM »
nuttin!

always a pleasure to hear from you, man

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 09:56:02 AM »

Wow!  These were great responses!  Never thought about throwing the paddle out the back and prone surfing my sup.  I'll give that a try.

Thanks Creek.  I would have never been able to put into words what you wrote.  It's mostly what I practice in the crowded line up now.

seadart.  I live on the central coast and grew up surfing this small pocket of medium to good reef surfing spots that break in the winter.  It's a good hour or more north and south to catch another surf spot.  I'm in goodfornothin's camp.  I'll just sup surf these few spots close to my house and deal with it.

Hats off to you goodfornothin!  I've surfed Huntington pier many times back in the 70's and 80's.  It's a rough crowd.  Excellent idea prone surfing a few waves on the sup!

I'm not bragging but a few years ago while sup surfing this crowded spot I was paddling back out after catching a wonderful wave.  A prone local I've known for years said to me," Don't you ever surf like you used to?  What a waist of talent."  He was pissed off.  His attitude is typical of some of the locals here.  They are greedy and don't want to share waves with anybody.  As I'm older this selfish, non sharing of waves attitude sickens me.

IRideYellow

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 12:02:49 PM »
I have given up trying to fit in at Santa Cruz breaks.  I put my ear plugs in and do my thing.  For me to understand what someone is saying they have to be close and loud but even then if I see their lips move I just smile and point to my ear and shake my head.  Its a great way to disarm them and it forestalls any more engagement.  You just never now who is the asshole at a break.  It could even be me :)
Starboard WidePoint 8'10, Sunova 8'10 Speeed (Sold), Wardog  7'10 Jammer,  L41 8'8 S3 (sold), Naish Mana 10 (sold), 3 Wavestorm 9'6

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 07:56:09 PM »
at my local break I usually paddle out an paddle  around  say hi to a few strangers   then paddle out side  sit   for a set and then  cactch a few.  usually works  pretty well.   at 65 I am not going to get into it with any one  just not worth it  and not going to back down  just gonna surf but I do try and be low  key.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2018, 07:10:48 AM »
at my local break I usually paddle out an paddle  around  say hi to a few strangers   then paddle out side  sit   for a set and then  cactch a few.  usually works  pretty well.   at 65 I am not going to get into it with any one  just not worth it  and not going to back down  just gonna surf but I do try and be low  key.

That is exactly how I do it. Saying hi to people is important, I do it even if they ignore me.  I like to keep moving, catch a few inside, then outside and always let a few go and try to wait my turn. I surf at a point break so it's easy to sit inside and catch the waves they pass up or miss, then I slowly move out through the pack. I'm often the only standup. They generally accept me as equal, but this is New Hampshire where everyone is courteous and polite.    :)

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal