Author Topic: Is regular SUP surfing dying and foiling taking its place?  (Read 8729 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Is regular SUP surfing dying and foiling taking its place?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2018, 06:08:42 PM »
^^That doesn't slice into your leg or knock out your teeth.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2018, 06:39:49 PM »
Well yes, but I don't get the sense that we are seeing a ton of gruesome injuries from the current generation of foils.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2018, 12:40:54 AM »
Not quite as wicked as thin kite foils, but still plenty of injuries. I'm limping around from getting whacked in the thigh two days ago. Tomoko is out of the water for a month with a sliced leg. Lots of stuff to hit, and while they aren't blade-sharp anymore, still unforgiving.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 12:59:41 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2018, 01:30:51 AM »
Foiling, maybe oneday?

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2018, 09:34:39 AM »
I love SUP,  but I have zero interest in trying anything like foiling that might injure me and end my paddling days forever. Life is WAY TOO short.
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

devon_sup_surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2018, 03:13:38 PM »
I think one of the following criteria are required for sup foiling- and they are all pretty narrow/rare

experts who have mastered many other forms of watersport and just want to learn something new

those who see it as the best tool to use in certain conditions (either in crappy surf where they can link shirt wave period swell together and glide above the chop, or where it's busy and they can avoid surfers by riding unbroken waves far out back/ahead of surfers

Both the above is rare. Add the danger factor, the difficulty, the expense and extra hassle of transport I can't see it being a huge thing IMO.

I also think it's easy to confuse two largely independent occurrences

1) decrease in sup surf (if this is true)
2) increase in foil

I don't think the two are particularly related.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2018, 07:59:08 AM »
SUP surfing is in decline simply for the same reasons all other new sports eventually fall in popularity.  How far it will decline remains to be seen but I don’t think it’s going to go the way of rollerblading.  It will probably reach a comfortable medium and stay there.  As others have said in previous threads, the novelty of surfing with a paddle as worn off for some and they’ve returned to regular prone surfing.  Foil on the other hand has a VERY narrow scope and only the most athletically inclined will master it.  SUP surfing would likely see the decline it’s going through with or without foiling.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2018, 03:49:20 PM »
SUP surfing is in decline simply for the same reasons all other new sports eventually fall in popularity.  How far it will decline remains to be seen but I don’t think it’s going to go the way of rollerblading.  It will probably reach a comfortable medium and stay there.  As others have said in previous threads, the novelty of surfing with a paddle as worn off for some and they’ve returned to regular prone surfing.  Foil on the other hand has a VERY narrow scope and only the most athletically inclined will master it.  SUP surfing would likely see the decline it’s going through with or without foiling.

it depends where you are in the world.
Were I'm at sup surfing is on the up.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2018, 06:45:31 PM »

Cool!  Where are you?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2018, 07:11:23 PM »

Cool!  Where are you?

San Diego.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2018, 09:37:34 AM »
Surf SUP is definitely UP in SNJ I even see new faces in the cold as we head into winter here

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2018, 10:12:22 AM »
I see a decline in SUP surfing by those that were into SUPs only because they'd SUP when surf was small. A lot of the short boarders I know that use to SUP now ride Costco Wavestorms when its small.  In my area, the summer is when we have smaller surf and there are now a lot of very good surfers on Wavestorms.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2018, 12:51:36 PM »

Cool!  Where are you?

Australia mate  ;)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2018, 04:47:03 PM »
I see a decline in SUP surfing by those that were into SUPs only because they'd SUP when surf was small. A lot of the short boarders I know that use to SUP now ride Costco Wavestorms when its small.  In my area, the summer is when we have smaller surf and there are now a lot of very good surfers on Wavestorms.

It's a sick thing, but I love surfing Wavestorms.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2018, 05:09:10 PM »
Haven't seen any foiling here in North Carolina. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 05:54:28 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal