Author Topic: Oahu - south shore winter foiling?  (Read 9589 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Oahu - south shore winter foiling?
« on: November 24, 2018, 06:05:40 PM »
Asking Oahu folks (Robert from Blue Planet?) Is foiling possible or maybe even fun on South shore in the Winter?

I love the quick trip and easy hotel access of Waikiki but never really make it in Summer. Has foiling opened up the South shore in Winter for fun?

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Oahu - south shore winter foiling?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 07:24:32 PM »
Are talking about literally foiling Waikiki Beach or just the south shore in general? I've been foiling out in Ewa weekly at least, so I imagine there is enough surf to make it work, as long as you pick a spot that's deep enough.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 07:42:17 PM »
South shore is cool but specifically Waikiki. I see a lot of videos off of the canoe club and just wondered if that area was workable in winter or if the outer breaks around Waikiki are.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 07:55:37 PM »
There always seems to be a little something on the south shore but it's lighter in Winter.  The breaks in Robert's video look like SS to me, but I don't know what time of year.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 09:56:51 PM »
Thx Pono, yes, those vids are right off the Canoe club. I had a ball today in knee to thigh waves I might chance it and just work on my tan if it’s useless.  I can always run east or North if I want to boost my adrenaline.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 04:26:13 PM »
Big surf on the North Shore of Maui today, bigger tomorrow (26 feet at Ho'okipa). Ka'a Point was fun today, it was big early, and then got smaller, which was sort of a surprise. I thought it was the tide making it smaller but I was reading my watch wrong. It's from the NW which means spots like Ka'a are sheltered quite a bit and so it's variable in ways you wouldn't expect. If the tip of Molokai is refracting just right it gets big, if not, not.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 06:27:38 PM »
Yes, you will find foilable waves on most days in Waikiki, even in winter.  There are some great waves on the West side for foiling and that's where I went the last couple of days, it was well worth the drive.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal