Author Topic: Sources  (Read 3784 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Sources
« on: November 20, 2018, 12:04:48 PM »
I need a new challenge. I'm going to finally start on building a board. Going to try something a bit different...or at least with my limited knowledge I think it's different. I didn't get much usable wood from the arborvitae I was thinking of using (rotted cores) so I'm going to use a combination of polyiso foam boards and cedar.
I need some rolls of glass and some epoxy. Greenlight the best place to go? What about vac bagging supplies

Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Sources
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 12:38:06 PM »
You might want to check Jamestown Distributers here in Bristol RI.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 03:18:33 PM »
Awesome! Looking forward to seeing build pictures.

I would treat yourself to nice resin and glass cloth, surfboard grade all the way around and not boat grade or 'mystery' grade.

I am not sure how the Greenroom (not Greenlight) people are doing in the Carolinas but I really like their Old#7 epoxy resin.  I have a 2 year old sailboat project with #7 that is still looking fresh and it is stored outside, no tarp and no varnish...except where I have damaged the unglassed wood and then it weathers immediately. The glassed portions of the boat look great.

I would not hesitate to use Resin Research either, about 1/2 of my dozen board projects were done with Kwik Kik.

http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 07:50:39 PM »
If you’re looking for basic E glass, check Thayercraft.com. Steve has good prices, all include shipping, and everything ships fast.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 09:24:56 PM »
Use a dust mask with polyiso. In theory, the dust is not particularly toxic. I wouldn't test the theory. I like Resin Research epoxy. The fiberglass cloth you use will depend on your technique and application. I don't use E-glass, just S-glass and carbon, but then I've never built an entire board, just modified the heck out of some. I'm going to start playing with Innegra. I'll probably build a foil board next summer.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 09:52:04 PM »
Love this man. It’s easier if you’re older. Patience is a virtue for sure in building.

I’m west Coast so if you can find closer suppliers, do it to save on shipping (especially resin) but I use Fiberglass Hawaii and Fiberglass Source out here.

Can’t wait to see what you cook up.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 03:31:38 AM »

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 06:16:45 AM »
i bought a quart or so of quik kik a few years ago--do all repairs with it--best ive ever used--sands easily--rock hard--adheres well--glasses out nicely for final coats
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 07:34:28 AM »
I like Foam-EZ for materials, good luck Stoney.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 08:28:01 AM »
Greenlight the best place to go?

They are right down the road from me so I've had the pleasure of dealing with them in person.  Great guys and very knowledgable.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 03:52:11 PM »
This should be interesting. I'm on the fence using the alternating materials.  I'm thinking it would be tough shaping it. I may just go all wood. The idea of alternating was to reduce weight with the polyiso and mitigate delam concern of polyiso with the wood. Not sure its worth it and it will look a bit weird. I know I'd enjoy working the wood more.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 09:37:39 PM »
Stoney, I like your idea of Red Cedar, and maybe Bass or Balsa stringers. 4 or 5 stringers. You can get blocks of EPS closer than you think. There's a place I buy architectural foam details from and they have 1, 1.5 , and 2 lbs blocks and slabs. I can pick up enough scrap to build a board for little to nothing. Call a building material supplier and ask them who make architectural foam details that's near by you. Like http://insultech-eps.com/ . You can cut the stringers to the board rocker outline and hand shape the foam to the stringers. The foam is way easier to work with than foam. The foam has no grain so you don't have to worry about that. It all the same density too, which makes it easy to sculpt. 1.5 lb is the best to work with as far as hand shaping goes.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal