Author Topic: Trip to Washington state  (Read 2652 times)

supnsurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Trip to Washington state
« on: November 16, 2018, 08:05:37 AM »
Im taking a trip up to Washington , any surf/sup spots i can check out ?  Thanks
Rawson 8'8" Impala

L41 8'8"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Trip to Washington state
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 08:17:46 AM »
Lots, but the Washington coast is fairly remote. Seatle seems like it's right on the ocean, but it's Puget Sound. Take a look at the spots Magic Seaweed reports on, Cape Flattery, Crescent Beach,  La Push, Long Beach, Ocean Shores, and Westport. These are the most popular and most accessible. But it takes time and effort to get to them. For example, Seattle to La Push--which is more or less directly across from Seattle on a map, is a four-hour drive.. A beautiful and interesting drive, but yeah, four hours. I think the closest ocean surf to Seattle is Westport, which is a two-hour drive and probably more like three. Washington surf spots are generally uncrowded.

But Puget Sound and the huge lakes offer a lot of opportunities to mess around on a SUP. The last time I stayed in Bellingham I poked around on Lake Washington and had a fine time.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 08:24:47 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 09:45:48 AM »
What time of year is the trip planned for?   
My go to for training (and I use that term loosely) is Lake Union. Flatwater sure, but in the middle of Seattle, so it’s entertaining.
I can hook you up with a flat water board if you’re interested.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 10:31:41 AM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Tyler M

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 09:46:02 AM »
I Surf at Westport near the jetty at Westhaven State Park. It’s a 2 hr 45 min. drive from Seattle. It’s the most popular spot in the state. I occasionally see other SUP surfers there on the weekends or on small, clean days. It’s rarely crowded, especially when the swell is over 5 ft.

There are many public access points north along the Straight of Juan de Fuca. As mentioned it’s a long drive, but a NW swell can bring rideable waves to points that are more than 75 miles from the coast.

Flat water or river SUP are more accessible all over the region.
L41 or Infinity boards around 100 liters

supnsurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 05:50:58 PM »
Ok, thanks guys, we will be driving up going through Oregon and then to Washington for a few days , maybe Canada if time allows.  We will be going next week.   thanks I will check Westport for sure and hopefully some others.   thanks again 
Rawson 8'8" Impala

L41 8'8"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 09:48:12 PM »
If you drive up the coast you can hit the best spots. It's a great drive. Before you reach Canada you bump into a huge Indian reservation and have to turn inland. All good. Lots of places to take ferry rides too. If you want to go into Canada these days you need your passport or an enhanced drivers license.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal