Author Topic: 3 piece travel paddle  (Read 2725 times)

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
3 piece travel paddle
« on: November 15, 2018, 10:05:00 PM »
I currently use a fixed length Chinook Thrust 92 paddle which I LOVE.

I just bought a 3 piece Chinook 82 Thrust SUP travel paddle for a trip to Maui. My SUP discipline is SURF. I have not used this paddle but am worried I will not like it. I admit I am spoiled by the fixed length paddle.

This 3 piece paddle may be OK for flatwater paddling but seems to be less than ideal for SURF.

Seems this SUP paddle will leak at bottom joint and fill up with water in surf (e.g. when surfer & paddle are tossed around in and under water).  Might be OK for non-waveriding but seems that it will fill up with water in waves.

Most of the problems I ANTICIPATE are at lower joint. I think I could use electrical tape for bottom joint and also for the the  button that holds the bottom section on. Maybe I could silicon seal the lower section while I am on location away from home and then crack it apart for travel to back home.

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 10:16:33 PM by liv2surf »
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: 3 piece travel paddle
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 11:23:49 PM »
Is the shaft not filled with foam, mainly? Yes, it will fill with water. But hopefully the water will drain out too. Quickblade used to make an adjustable paddle that actually had a small hole in the shaft near the blade, to let water drain out (with the shaft full of foam).

If it’s just for surf it shouldn’t matter too much. More of a problem with 3-pieces usually is the protruberance of the bottom joint dinging your rail. Most 3-piece paddles are sold with iSUPs in mind, so they won’t ding. But with a fragile hard board they can be deadly.

For this reason, I have a 3-piece Quickblade which has flush joint fittings (not clamps or pins etc, it goes together with an Allen key) so I can wrap electrical or self-amalgamating tape round the joints, and then it is completely watertight. But the paddle was crazy expensive.

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 08:53:57 PM »
Hi Area,
We seem to have a different opinion about SUP surfing. You said 'if you are just surfing it doesn't matter...."" To me nothing is more important that surfing and I hate water in my paddle. I care more about water in my paddle than I do about chips on my rail. I may have been able to use electrical tape on the lower join... but the upper joint will leak anyway. Your comments crystallized my thinking. I am returning my 3 piece and painstakingly packing my one piece Chinook Thrust 92 for air travel.
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 12:06:54 PM »
Apparently all multiple section shaft paddles (3 or 2 piece) have an inherent susceptibility to leaking. I bought a Naish 3 piece on sale a few years back and discovered that it leaks like a sieve. When used in the surf it means occasionally taking it apart to drain it. Little harder to do in downwinding conditions. 

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 03:09:49 PM »
I am returning my 3 piece and painstakingly packing my one piece Chinook Thrust 92 for air travel.

You might want to look at a 3 piece paddle attached by a hot glue. Easy enough to put together and even
easier take apart. All you need is a small heat gun and a hot glue stick ($12 on Amazon for both) and you're good.

I've been taking this paddle with me on the plane. Currently using this paddle as my primary paddle.

Blade 18", shaft 42", handle 20" and I have 4" adjustment room to play with according to my ride.

This specific one made by ZRE paddles was about $400 or just under. Now with Black Friday you might be able
to get a better price.

in progress...

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 07:05:12 PM »
Hi Burchas, great suggestion.  Yeah, I would like a hot glued 3 piece. Only thing is I love my oval shaft paddle for rapid automatic correct positioning of blade for surf.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 09:24:23 PM »
Hi Burchas, great suggestion.  Yeah, I would like a hot glued 3 piece. Only thing is I love my oval shaft paddle for rapid automatic correct positioning of blade for surf.

I hear you. This paddle shaft is indeed oval. I wouldn't have it other way myself.
in progress...

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 10:07:08 PM »
Glad to hear ZRE is oval.

On the ZRE adjustable length paddles. Is the top part also hot glued. Probably not, to allow simple and on the fly adjustment. I guess even if it isn't normally, it could be. I just don't like water inside my paddle (or wobble). And for SUS, the paddle is frequently submerged which would lead to water entry via the adjustment interface (....especially on an oval I think).

I'm also intrigued by your cross manufacturer hybrid paddle.  I'll look up this thread again... I think I saw it. The Chinook oval shaft goes to round near the paddle blade. I would think this would simplify making cross manufacturer hybrid paddle.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 10:10:35 PM by liv2surf »

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 10:38:51 PM »
The top part could have an adjustment clamp as far as I remember,
I just opted for hot glue throughout.

The blade connection to the shaft Is also oval, if your round blade
connection  fits inside the ZRE shaft you could add some material
on the connection and sand it down to fit snug so it would be water
Tight like my modified Quickblade V-Drive blade is.
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal