Author Topic: Any ice skaters? Thin ice fun  (Read 3444 times)

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Any ice skaters? Thin ice fun
« on: November 15, 2018, 05:44:54 AM »
Just ran across and decide to share. When I was ice fishing I was always told you should not go on the ice that under 8 cm / 3" ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3O9vNi-dkA
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Any ice skaters? Thin ice fun
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 07:03:25 AM »
Thanks, Addict.

Ya, well... that was 'Black' ice.  Shee'it ...'just keep moving.  I iceboated on Lk Mendota and Green Bay.  We would have killed for that rare event. Green Bay was too deep, outside of a few bays mid-peninsula. I rented before we bought in Door County and these massive blocks of ice would heave themselves in the yard. Someone called the CG on me once because I had my boat on stands in a little bay in Fish Creek and the wind broke up the ice.  I was out in a rowboat to haul it back to shore - 'was a lot of money. I told them I didn't need help.

There were large shallow bays around the southern great lakes that got sailing ice; there must be some meteorology?  There was even a small crew of iceboaters near Annapolis MD back in the 80's.  There was one year you could walk across the Chesapeake Bay near Annapolis.  Those days are gone.

I liked that guy's skates!   I threw away a pair lace-up speed skates about 5yrs ago - they, along with our XC skis became dust collectors. The weather has changed - there's not been any pure cold around this area for years. Fronts come thru with a blast of wind and mixed-precip ...'just crap it up.

He also reminded me of the knuckle-draggers with snow machines.  There were trails from tavern-to-tavern and you'd hear packs of those mobile-chainsaws in the middle of the night.  Occasionally, one would enter Darwin's waiting room, like our friend on the river — they'd go in while rounding a bend and the current pulls them into an area without an opening. Oooops!

Thanks again, that was beautiful ice.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 03:44:43 PM »
That was awesome. I love the sound of black ice cracking under me.

Every year around thanksgiving, ever since I was a kid, it has been a ritual for me to go out and test the ice on the pond next to my house. It's just like in the video. Some people think I'm crazy but the reality is that black ice is very predictable. All it takes is experience. The ice will tell you if it's not thick enough to hold you. You just have to understand the language.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 11:39:59 AM »
Very cool.....used to do that a lot as a kid. Lots of hockey on cranberry bogs.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 04:08:42 PM »
That's fun. I walked across a lake in Wisconsin once that started cracking with every step. spooky stuff. It didn't start making those spooky cracking sounds until I was halfway across.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

singingdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 04:30:12 AM »
That's a "holy grail" event up here. Every few years we get black ice that is just thick enough to skate own, but you can go for miles. We use the same set-up: speed skate blades that clip onto nordic skate boots. A few years ago we were chasing huge school of perch that we could see through the ice.

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 12:40:44 PM »
 Funny enough, I was thinking why this video resonated with me, then I remembered when a few years ago I witnessed similar ice condition on the small lake where I used to live back then. I found a video on my phone. what would be a good way to upload it?

And it was not on the vide but I saw some small rat-sized animal swan literally under my feet. that was cool too. 

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 03:45:47 PM »
Funny enough, I was thinking why this video resonated with me, then I remembered when a few years ago I witnessed similar ice condition on the small lake where I used to live back then. I found a video on my phone. what would be a good way to upload it?

And it was not on the video but I saw some small rat-sized animal swam literally under my feet. that was cool too.

Yes, I've seen muskrats swimming under the ice while out walking on my pond. They can actually stay under indefinitely by collecting air from bubbles under the ice which I've seen them do.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 06:34:40 PM »
If she had a paddle I would've put this in a different thread, but since it's ice related...

https://youtu.be/h2iWzc_gIWw

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 02:43:33 PM »
She was not a first one, I'm sure not the last one either... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd7c5tQCs1I

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 11:31:58 AM »
This got posted on my FB page the other day, this guy belongs in the cartoons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYbF8xDnPxk
It takes a quiver to do that.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2018, 03:50:26 PM »
Ice is fun stuff.   8)
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2018, 10:22:53 PM »
This got posted on my FB page the other day, this guy belongs in the cartoons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYbF8xDnPxk
that's "Dude like hella", internet youtuber and that's up near me in Alaska. He moved here.... Wonder if he stayed and was in the earthquake?

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 04:45:43 AM »
It's like he has never seen ice before. Most people have been skipping rocks across ice since they were five years old? Who hasn't done that?
Either that or he's on shrooms and having way too much fun.   ;D

« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 04:53:36 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal