Author Topic: Taking off the foot straps  (Read 5705 times)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Taking off the foot straps
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2018, 10:24:15 PM »
///both ways of riding have their pro's and con's and none is more "righter" than the other, it's just what suits you and what you want to do.
^^^ Exactly this ^^^

I've foiled both ways, and simply prefer the feeling of having a front strap, and the ability to pull up in it when the feeling hits me; but I've also gone w/o straps, and liked the feel of moving my feet around a little more...more like I'm "surfing" the foil.

So now I've gone to a hybrid of that, with a front strap, and nothing in the back for the rear foot (ie. I don't have a kick pad or arch bar over the mast), and really like not feeling obligated to keep me rear foot around some stomp pad or arch bar that's back there "just because" everyone else has one as the only reason I had one previously.

Now move my rear foot all over the place depending on how the board is flying, and where and how I'm going to be moving/turning it in the near future.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2018, 09:13:11 AM »
an argument for straps

I’m glad you posted this photo because it is a good argument for both sides. In the photo the straps show how the rider can maintain control when an over-foil occurred. It also illustrates that had the rider had his feet in different positions, perhaps the board would not have over-foiled in the first place. I have used straps since day one and I understand the benefits. Doing a few sessions without straps really opened my eyes to what was possible when one has the ability to shift the feet midflight.

I have a friend that telemark skis. I have another friend that uses hard boots. I don’t think I could tell either one they were doing it wrong. Regardless of how many sessions they had.

I’m still deep in the learning curve so what do I know? 

Foil on
For sure, there is no right or wrong way.  SanoSlatchSup: Using nothing under the back foot works for someone with experience but for someone starting out, I highly recommend using a tactile marker to help position the back foot.  Evan, the photo I posted is not of overfoiling, I intentionally popped up off the top of the wave to get airborne and was able to pull it off, which would have been impossible for me without footstraps, the video of this wave is in the video below at 11:35 where we also discuss what we like/ dislike about footstraps.  The straps also really help when banking off whitewater or anytime the foil gets "wobbly".  Otherwise, I like the feel surfing without straps as well, it feels less restrictive and the takeoffs are easier and there is nothing wrong with going strapless.

https://youtu.be/0acB8F74k54
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 09:23:00 AM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2018, 04:25:43 PM »
I detailed my latest footpad install here, photo below.
I have been super happy riding without footstraps.  Just one more datapoint, but I have no problem pumping onto a unbroken wave and I can turn harder than I want to.  So I see no good reason to put on straps.  Totally respect those that chose to, but I chose not to.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2018, 05:48:08 PM »
For sure, there is no right or wrong way.  SanoSlatchSup: Using nothing under the back foot works for someone with experience but for someone starting out, I highly recommend using a tactile marker to help position the back foot.
Agree w/ the underlined, those "starting out" would best be served with a rear strap or "marker" initially...but those with some experience might find the freedom of movement for increased adjustments of the board with the rear foot more beneficial than simply keeping it stuck in one spot for the most part. That's all I was really suggesting...try it, ya might like it.  :)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal