Author Topic: Glass factory/shop in the North East?  (Read 3558 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Glass factory/shop in the North East?
« on: November 13, 2018, 06:47:38 AM »
I need to off-load few projects and looking for a good factory. Preferably with in-house CNC for blanks that can handle up to16 foot boards.

in progress...

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Glass factory/shop in the North East?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 10:43:47 AM »
i would also be interested in this

thx in adv for any info
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 11:19:40 AM »
I would ask these guys first, if it's not them they may know a somebody that would

https://greenlightsurfsupply.com/
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 11:26:10 AM »
I think Bob Blair at Speedboard has a CNC
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 11:47:52 AM »
I need to off-load few projects and looking for a good factory. Preferably with in-house CNC for blanks that can handle up to16 foot boards.

If you get a CNC operator who knows his stuff, they can break your file into 2 boards. A front and back piece. Each one just has to extend 6" longer. You then make a mitered cut and glue the two pieces together. The miter helps align the pieces. I've done a few unlimited that way. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 03:48:37 PM »

If you get a CNC operator who knows his stuff, they can break your file into 2 boards. A front and back piece. Each one just has to extend 6" longer. You then make a mitered cut and glue the two pieces together. The miter helps align the pieces. I've done a few unlimited that way.

Right you are. My current board was done that way, works very well so even cnc that cuts a 14' should be fine. Too bad the shop that did it no longer exists :( That seems to be the trend unfortunately.
I'm seriously thinking about learning to glass my self... it's either that or get use to riding inflatable from Costco
in progress...

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 08:05:46 PM »
Burchas, I really like glassing myself. Fun but sometimes messy project.

Once you get the sanding down (2 or 3 boards) even that isn’t too bad. I say try it but start with something smaller first. I did a 7’5” SUP and that was right to the limits of what I’d do for a start. Making yourself a nice 7’6” mid length prone board (or one for a kid maybe) would be a great first project.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 04:44:08 AM »
when i watch a skilled glasser (check the jimmy lewis vids) i get the feeling that glassing is like taping/skimcoating drywall--like, i can do it, and i can get a good result, but i will require many more passes at reapplication and sanding than a pro would---add in that i find epoxy scary toxic-any cvontact with skin and i get weird itchy rashes, along with very itchy nose/sinuses --much better handled by a pro who gloves/suits up and ventilates properly
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 07:12:30 AM »
I'm fine with doing repairs and such but whole boards....? I do want to shape a couple but I think if I go to all that work I want to make sure the finish is perfect... :P

I'm interested in doing bigger stuff of my own...cowboy suggestion is exactly what I was thinking of...building a board for my granddaughter. I'm also going ahead with building a wood board but not sure yet how I'll be finishing yet.

I am going to re-glass an old 14' Snark sailboat sometime soon. Freecycle find...like I needed another project. OK shape except for the exterior shell and some foam repair/replace. While I have it apart I'm going to reinforce the transom, bow and strakes. I may carve a dragon bowsprit...:) I need sails and rigging. Thinking of building a wooden mast and boom and glassing but may just look for aluminum replacement. Everything I glass I'm going to vacuum bag.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 07:18:54 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 07:34:37 AM »
Thank for the tips. Contacted some prospects, see what comes up.

I think the next step is the to learn how to finish the foam out of CNC and maybe learn how to hand shape a blank
just to cut the CNC out of the equation and do away with just a contract glass job.

For now I consider the CAD shaping and foam finishing as the most fun part of the job and probably the most critical
to ensure your shape is going to be how you want it to be (sans rocker).

I'm wondering how many here encountered fucked-up rockers on contract glass job?
in progress...

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 08:01:31 AM »
If you do go that route, this might help...

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,18700.0.html

It's not overhead to me!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 08:07:56 AM »
Let us know if you find a NE CNC. If I had my brother or UKs fabrication skills I'd love to build a big one but in the absence of that....:)

I enjoy the CAD part too of course. I am thinking about getting a CNC kit to build but it's going to be smaller one for use in woodworking.
Bob

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 11:52:36 AM »
Let us know if you find a NE CNC. If I had my brother or UKs fabrication skills I'd love to build a big one but in the absence of that....:)

I enjoy the CAD part too of course. I am thinking about getting a CNC kit to build but it's going to be smaller one for use in woodworking.

I will post updates about the CNC

I'm surprised your brother doesn't throw shaping parties (I heard it's a thing these days) 8)

If you do go that route, this might help...

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,18700.0.html

Thx TD (also stands for Turbo Drive ;)) I forgot about this one.
I'm now looking for rentals in Capo beach, I want Danny Brawner working on my board as well ;D
The lesson I've learned is I want to have double door garage, I couldn't take in more than that.
Might be the epoxy fumes still left on that thread or just got overwhelmed ( more likely), i'll  have to revisit.
in progress...

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 12:05:09 PM »
Epoxy doesn't smell and you don't feel like your getting high either. Now poly is a whole different world of glassing. It only takes about 5 minutes, and I'll feel it the rest of the day. The laminating is fairly straight forward as long as you follow the right protocol. The sanding sucks and you'll spend most of your finishing time sanding. This is where I'll sort of gown-up and get the whole shop air cleaners running. Along with a HEPA vacuum. It's a mess. If you V-bag right, there is usually less sanding. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 12:12:47 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 12:16:49 PM »
epoxy has some subtle but bad effects--some are deadly allergic to it from the getgo---others develop terrible sensitivity after continual exposure--so, it doesnt have the telltale of the solvent fumes (unless you use Additive F, which I do) but it's definitely offgassing some bad shlt when curing, and shdnt contact skin or any other body parts.

i am sure solvents are the worst, but epoxy aint innocuous
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal