Author Topic: Decent SUP travel Bag  (Read 5554 times)

alexf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Decent SUP travel Bag
« on: November 12, 2018, 08:53:42 AM »
I'm Looking for recommendation of a SUP travel bag that is decent quality and 8-10mm thick, for a 9ft 27inch custom SUP, which is capable of taking the board with fins on . There are many options for short and long boards but it seems for SUPs the main brands only do cheaper day bags and some of the better quality brands only take boards with no fins on. Suggestions please. thanks. I tried Dakine, Prolimit, O&E, Rhino, FSC, and others?

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Decent SUP travel Bag
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 10:11:26 AM »
I've got a SUP Sports bag that's pretty industrial.  They're a site sponsor, and should have an add you can click on and get to their site quick.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 12:35:03 PM »
It's funny — I was just thinking about this subject. I have a Pau Hana labeled bag for my Pau Hana Ricochet which just bit the dust. I think bags are an easy thing to go cheap on, but most of the bags closer to $100 are pretty much crap. That aforementioned bag lasted barely two seasons.

I also have an FCS bag which is pretty good. It cost close to $250 for a 14' bag, but that's what you're going to pay quality. My Epic adjustable bag is about 12 years old, and it still works fine.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

JVM

• Halifax Paddlesurf
  • Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Halifax Paddlesurf
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 01:09:06 PM »
8-10mm might be ought on that size. Most seem to be in the 5-7mm range. Try getting a FCS Flight Bag but it will need to be oversized to accommodate the width and thickness.
DEALER FOR--------------------------------
INFINITY BOARDS
ONE STAND UP BOARDS
SUNOVA SUP
AXIS FOILS
VISSLA
ISURUS
BLACKFISH PADDLES
BLACK PROJECT FINS AND PADDLES

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 02:19:09 PM »
Unless the fin is glassed on, I would remove it.

Vitamin Blue makes some awesome bags.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 03:54:46 PM »
+1 for Vitamin Blue. Frank is the man and will make you a quality bag that is custom fit for your board cheaper than any of the big names. I’ve had several bags from him, including some that would handle a board with the fins still on. He’ll double up the area that the fins touch and out a layer of the same outside canvas on the inside for that area. Definitely worth giving him a call.

alexf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 01:51:09 PM »
Thanks guys

FSC flight bags doesn’t seem available for the sup, the long board versions wont take a sup even a 27. The SUP sports bag looks impressive and good design. Vitamin Blue custom bag option sounds like a great option  ;D

supnsurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 06:16:14 PM »
Yes Vitamin blue, Frank is great and they will ship right to you. Their bags are the best I’ve seen
Rawson 8'8" Impala

L41 8'8"

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 10:01:56 PM »

Ok guys here is a pitch: Lets just trust each other and state what bags we have. Its all good. Let's make it easy for OP to find his bag.

So I got a bag from a member here (I think) and it was great. I dunno what bag it was tho. :/ I have never used it to travel with airlines so I cannot help with that.
I used my thick double board Naish bag to transport 3 boards and it has been fantastic (2 SUP and a surfboard). Though I suspect its a slight tad random since transporting tiny surf boards I added a ton of extra padding on did not go as well.
 When transporting SUPs add cardboard on nose, rails, and tail. It's just the way to deal with it right. Might have to do with the destination too. 

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 04:48:53 AM »
I've got a SUP Sports bag that's pretty industrial.  They're a site sponsor, and should have an add you can click on and get to their site quick.

I have a SUP Sports bag as well.   It protected the board pretty well when it flew from my roof rack and hit pavement.  However my board is going to outlast the bag because the zipper is not good for the application.  Too fine toothed in my opinion.  Problem with the zipper not closing.  I did contact SUP Sports and they told me where to find new zipper pulls.  Replacement of the pulls worked great for a few weeks,  now it is splitting behind the zipper as I close again. 

JP

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 08:22:55 AM »
So, I've yet to find a better zipper system than YKK...
Having air traveled many times with SUPs, I also haven't had one single zipper issue...
I've also been air traveling with surfboards and sailboards in bags scores of times over the last four decades...and, have had way fewer issues on bags with YKK zippers than otherwise...

I'm thinking that when a board flies off of a rack and hits pavement...it's probably not good for long term zipper (or bag) health...YMMV...;-)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 08:24:30 AM by SUP Sports ® »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 09:20:11 AM »
There was no impact to the zipper.  The zipper splits in many different places.   You can't win with zippers and salt water.  This bag has plastic pulls,  which do not corrode.  Zipper seems perfect,  but I suspect the zipper is wearing the plastic out.  Why the second one only lasted a short time, Not sure.  Identical YKK pulls.    JP   

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 09:33:48 AM »
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...all zippers benefit from occasional preventative maintenance...not just when there is a problem...

Even the best components will wear down if not properly maintained. Occasional, minimal upkeep will extend the life of your gear.

You wouldn’t buy a car then neglect to wash it or change the oil, would you?

Zippers are a common fail point on backpacks. Even YKK zippers, regarded as the best brand (and the one that we use), will benefit from upkeep.

You can extend the life of even the best zippers with occasional maintenance and responsible use.

Be gentle with your zippers and never force them closed or past a snag. Clean zippers with water and soap after any extended trips to remove dirt and salt. To prevent future problems, apply a zipper lubricant after cleaning.

https://blog.tortugabackpacks.com/backpack-zipper-maintenance/
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 09:52:10 AM »
I scored a new Pro-Lite 9'0'' airline bag for about $200 to accommodate my 8'0' sup. Thing is bomb proof and it was my first dedicated sup travel bag. You're gonna wanna go one size up for a 9'0" sup. I didn't even pack the boards w/bubble wrap. Just used their day bags.

Great bag and it has a dedicated pocket for a paddle too so you don't hafta put it in the w/the board(s).

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Lite-SUP-Rhino-Travel-Bag/dp/B00TIXST1W/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2018, 02:19:04 PM »
Pro-lite looks great. But it needs a carrying handle in the center.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal