Author Topic: Tomopics  (Read 3646 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Tomopics
« on: November 11, 2018, 07:31:44 PM »
Tomoko Okazaki is a really cool little Japanese lady who rips at everything she does. I just love her. but she also is quick to whip out her camera and take pictures of her friend doing silly water stuff.  I almost never know she's shooting, she's very sneaky. Just a little waterproof point and shoot, but since she's usually right in the action it's up close. Here's a few shots she sent me from yesterday at Thousand Peaks.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 07:37:49 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Tomopics
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 07:49:25 PM »
That’s pretty awesome PB!

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 11:28:13 PM »
Looking good Bill!
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 06:19:57 AM »
Love the smile bro...glad you're having fun.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 06:39:31 AM »
The smile is EVERYWHERE!

Good to see you're using a front strap.  The front is KEY to controlled takeoffs in small, big or when you are behind the wave and need to catch up to it aka pumping.

I am now a fan of the BACK strap for turning. 

What we are finding is that once you takeoff the front foot is really just modulating the pitch of the board but when you get better all the turn comes from THE BACK FOOT.

And for the turning to work well you want to be LOCKED and LOADED with your back foot.  Nice and Snug, weight the front foot and then crouch into the turn. 

BOOM! 

You'll start accelerating through turns - For real!

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 09:14:10 AM »
So cool, Bill!  It must be great to be back in the waves!

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 08:55:53 PM »
Right oooon!  Love the smile and looking good!
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 09:33:52 PM »
Well done bill! It could be just me but I’m more impressed that someone who’s 70erish yrs. old has learned to do something that is new than a 20 yr. old. I expect a surfer with youth and resources to be good at just about any sport. I would also  stay clear of foot straps bill. With all the knee issues you have it could lead to a career ending injury if you fall wrong.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 01:57:10 AM »
Well done bill! It could be just me but I’m more impressed that someone who’s 70erish yrs. old has learned to do something that is new than a 20 yr. old.

Me too!  It ain't the average guy who will go through that process.   Flying high, Bill.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 09:07:25 PM »
Well done bill! It could be just me but I’m more impressed that someone who’s 70erish yrs. old has learned to do something that is new than a 20 yr. old. I expect a surfer with youth and resources to be good at just about any sport. I would also  stay clear of foot straps bill. With all the knee issues you have it could lead to a career ending injury if you fall wrong.

I'm going to swap them out for hooks tomorrow. Learning a new sport is a lot easier when you still have the same dipshit 19 year old in your head making all the choices.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 09:16:34 PM »
Great pic's pono. Looks like you're back in your happy place. No wiring or welding required.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 11:36:32 AM »
Beasho or others, can you expand on this?  I am on my 18th or so session, i feel confident going straight and now want to start going down the line. What is the best or what are some of the techniques when you are up gliding to turn the board down the line?  My surfing skills always kick in when i want to turn and that always ends up like a rodeo show.

What we are finding is that once you takeoff the front foot is really just modulating the pitch of the board but when you get better all the turn comes from THE BACK FOOT.

And for the turning to work well you want to be LOCKED and LOADED with your back foot.  Nice and Snug, weight the front foot and then crouch into the turn. 

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 12:40:51 PM »
One way is to keep you back foot forward and off the mast, which will prevent the board from flying. Position the board so the nose is aiming in the direction you want to go. Once you begin traveling down the line, and you feel you are in control, slide your back foot over the mast and take off. In short, get things under control and traveling as intended - then take off. With time you will be able to take off sooner and sooner.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal