Author Topic: Infinity new deal  (Read 11527 times)

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
Re: Infinity new deal
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2018, 09:32:19 PM »
Looks awesome.
Please report back how that rail edge works for you.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2018, 06:34:44 AM »
My board also has a Greenough release edge shaped into the bottom. This is something I've been developing with Ry Harris. We've made a quite a few boards, and now have it adapted to work for SUPs. It's faster and looser, and makes it easier to sink the rail. All positives for surfing performance.

I'm stoked that Dave Boehne let me put this into the New Deal. Best of all possible worlds in SUP design. And another reason why it's so nice to order custom from Infinity.
Amazing! Do you use a greenough 4a fin in the center? What size fins do you like for that board?

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2018, 06:39:12 AM »
I recently got a custom New Deal.
I highly recommend ordering a custom New Deal, for your dims and ability.  The price is still reasonable, and you get exactly what you want.  Infinity excels at custom boards. It's in their DNA.
Do you think that a custom is as strong and ding resistant as a production board? I have a couple of production New Deals and I have though about getting a custom size, but been a little hesitant to get a custom because of my impression that one has to compromise on either weight or toughness.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2018, 07:50:22 AM »
The production boards are both lighter and stronger. I chose to compromise on both my New Deal and my RNB.

The dimensions on my longboard are 9'6" x 31".

Next option 10 x 29. Maybe fine maybe not. I would rather be a little wide and stable in larger waves - and Winter waves - than the oh you'll be fine and figure it out point of view. And the performance gains from the absurd low weight, IMHO, more than offset the slight increase in optimum width.

And the production boards are WAY more durable. I have owned my New Deal for a year and a half and it looks brand new. No chips, no dings in the grindy shorebreak of CC and the rocky reefs of many locations.

No affiliation just appreciate a great board and awesome construction.
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2018, 10:11:17 AM »
Gorgeous board and I bet it surf's like a dream!

I recently got a custom New Deal.

9'6 x 29" x 4.5" 130 liters.

I wanted a more sustainable board, so I ordered it glassed by Earth Technologies in south Los Angeles.  This board uses bio-epoxy resin, vacuum bagged carbon, and a cedar veneer deck. See my attachment photos. The whole board weighs 15 lbs.

kwhilden

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Surf
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2018, 01:05:45 PM »
Good question on the durability and performance of production vs. custom.

Anyone who thinks production boards are both lighter and stronger than custom is plain wrong.  Everything depends on how the boards are built. Also, production boards that are made too stiff and strong don't necessarily surf as well because flex and response play a big factor in how nice a board surfs.

Infinity production boards are really high-end, using the best materials and construction techniques. Dave Boehne has told me about his prototype process, and how he found a way to make a production board that feels as good as a custom while surfing.

My custom Infinity board built by Ryan Harris from Earth Technologies is equivalent in weight and strength to Infinity production boards, because it's made with similar production standards.  My 9'6 New Deal has vacuum bagged carbon wrapping the rails, biaxial fiberglass, and full length cedar veneer on the deck.  The finished board weighs about 16 lbs.  Looks beautiful, and has my exact custom dims and the experimental Greenough Edge (which works amazing). It's a big win, in my book.   

I also have an 8'6 Edge SUP from Ry Harris that weighs 14 lbs. It has vacuum bagged biaxial carbon and a ballistek deck.  Ballistek is Ryan's proprietary material that extremely ding resistant.  Better than any production board I have owned. This board absolutely rips. You can see it here: http://earthtechsurf.com/boards/h2sup/edge-sup/

Now having said that, a custom board made with standard fiberglass construction, like a typical surfboard, will likely be a bit more fragile and ding-prone. My boards are high-end and more expensive. Your mileage will vary depending on budget tradeoffs and how careful you are with your boards. However a less expensive custom SUP made by an experienced laminator will still rip and have great performance and durability. As long as you take care of it. 

Personally, I love the ability to make a custom order, and get a board that is different from stock models. That means something to me. 

If you choose a production Infinity, that's great too. Their production standards are extremely high and their stock boards are really good by comparison.

Regarding fins... my fin setup on the New Deal is a 2+1.  Using a 7" Futures performance center fin, and True Ames 3.25" sidebites.  I've found that smaller fins work better because the Greenough Edge provides so much additional speed and drive. 

« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 01:12:08 PM by kwhilden »
Sustainable Surf

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2018, 02:12:14 PM »
My observations on weight, strength, durability were meant to be specific to Infinity Production
boards compared with Infinity Customs.

These comments were made based on several Production boards and  Infinity custom boards.

The board from Earth sounds awesome, but is quite different than a stock Infinity custom.

They are also working on a relationship with Varial who are working on the custom strength and durability issues.

Unfortunately, they (Varial) have restrictions on size - great folks called 'em up asked for sales and had a tremendous conversation.

Have had some interesting customs that were not disposalable and still really light.

Ed Angulo shaped Cannibal Core-Lam glassed.

Also a King's using 1.0 foam and secret sauce.

Innegra also, but it will suck up any excess resin.
Has to be hand held and usually bagged.

Let us know how the Earth Infinity holds up over time!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

kwhilden

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Surf
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2018, 02:52:12 PM »
The board from Earth sounds awesome, but is quite different than a stock Infinity custom.

Let us know how the Earth Infinity holds up over time!

It sounds like you have a lot experience with various Infinity boards. Nice.

The beauty of a custom is that you can order whatever you want, which includes how a board is built. I'm personally always interested in board construction methods, so that's part of what I "customize".  I suppose that's pretty obvious to everyone on this thread. :)

Earth Technologies is leading innovation with their glassing techniques, to make light, strong, high-performance SUPs that also have a reduced impact on the planet.  They do "stock" builds as well, but their custom high-end stuff is unique and special, in my opinion. I always try to have them glass my boards.

I've had six or seven SUPs from them over the past years. They have all been super durable. Most of my surfboards too. You can see some of their builds in that Wardog advert on the left as well. :)
Sustainable Surf

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal