Author Topic: Wetsuit Suggestions - Mix of SUS and Kiteboarding  (Read 6104 times)

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Wetsuit Suggestions - Mix of SUS and Kiteboarding
« on: November 10, 2018, 11:48:13 AM »
I'm in need for a new 4/3 or 5/3 basically for everything my 3/2 doesn't cover, which is typically late December to mid-February (upper 40's to mid-50's water temps). Just curious on a few things:

-I've typically used Rip Curl/O'Neill suits, I had one kite-specific suit with more smooth skin on the chest to block wind better, but.......frankly I'm paddling more in the winter. Any thoughts on surf-specific vs. others.

-Integrated hood or not? I need a hood, I've tried the neoprene beanie, and as soon as I have to dive under a wave it's done. So, I'm either getting an integrated hood or regular hood.

-Ideally it would dry quickly and be flexible/light.

I'm not trying to spend a fortune (Patagonia range - $500 or so), but a solid suit that will last.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Wetsuit Suggestions - Mix of SUS and Kiteboarding
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 12:43:06 PM »
I kitesurf all winter, I personally think the Xcel Drylock 5:4 is the best out there, put on a light dingy racing spray top to stay warmer when windy, I do this on the coldest of days. 
YouTube

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 04:00:40 PM »
Xcel makes a separate Dryloc hood too which is good if your suit doesn't have an integrated hood.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 11:58:36 AM »
Hi APPST

I have been a fan of Patagonia and then got a 5.5/4 Psychotec 2. I love this O’neil Suit. Warm, dries quickly, light and flexible. It is a well made suit and seems durable.

Bob

Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 02:22:50 PM »
My 5.5 vissla got me through the winter last year as a beginner. New England and long island. (I fell a lot.) It has an integrated hood. But is a reasonable price and made at the same Japanese factories as other brands. Hands and feet got cold but not my body. Very warm though if you are paddling and not surfing.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 03:51:38 AM »
Hi APPST

I have been a fan of Patagonia and then got a 5.5/4 Psychotec 2. I love this O’neil Suit. Warm, dries quickly, light and flexible. It is a well made suit and seems durable.

Bob

Second voice for O'Neil. I own variate of their suites in different thickness including psychotech 5.5/4  - very stretchy and very light. I prefer have a hood attached , once purchased  Mutant (removable hood attached with zippers)  and returned after one use as the back zipper was getting separated.
p.s.I don't kitesurf, so not sure of what specific requirements it could affect.
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 06:10:16 PM »
I have a ten year old + Mutant 5/4 that is still intact, although not so stretchy anymore.   Got a new 5/4 mutant last year.  Having the no hood option gives the suit so much more range.   In order or warmth I have 3/2 full suit,  ancient Mutant, New Mutant, and Ripcurl 5.5/4 flashbomb.   I couldn't get away with not having something in between the 3/2 and Ripcurl.  Mutant fits the bill. 
JP

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 12:32:02 PM »
Yeah, so update to this thread. I tried on a Flashbomb with an integrated hood, and I have a feeling it would become a pain when I don't want to wear it.

I'm actually sending my ONeill Psychofreak from 2 years ago (that I was going to replace) to O'Neill to replace the knee pad. My local surf shop told me that was an option, so for $20, this wetsuit is fixed. It's not the stretchest thing ever, but it's pretty warm and a chest zip.

I'm definitely buying a separate hood though.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 01:03:55 PM »
You said dry quickly and flexible/light.

Rip Curl has a new more elastic flashbomb heat seeker 5/3 (or flashbomb 4/3 w/ hood) which sounds like a great mix of flexibility and warmth (and quick drying).

I tend to use a warmer suit for kite suit than SUP (for same conditions). I would overheat SUPing. But that's what a quiver of suits is for.

It's funny. I thought I'd seen the new Flashbomb heat seeker in 5/3 w a hood but I'm not finding it. I must be mistaken. For the warmest suit a hood is such a must. And I noticed the new 5/3 instead of the usual 5/4 thinking how much better it was for range of motion.

For range of movement the Rip Curl eBombs zip free have been amazing. Flashbombs are less elastic but the latest seems better. They definitely add warmth and are good for something like kiting where you may only fall occasionally coz they dry so quick.

I broke my collarbone beginning of summer so I'm a klutz again at getting it off. (don't have full range of motion yet). My friends with zips tease me but they have no idea how much better the zip-free is once on. Both for paddling and kite.

Kiting is a tough call for winter suits. Ideally rubber exterior would be best to cut the wind, but too fragile for kiting. I use a windbreaker over on cold days.

If you haven't tried the new fashbombs or eBombs find a place and go try one on. Youtube the technique to get in and out if you don't already have one - it's not 1/2 as bad as one presupposes.

Edit to add: oops, we posted at same time.
What I like about a hood is it's easy to take on and off when hot or cold. I use an inner .5mm lycra sleeves w hood but that would negate the flashbomb lining which shoul dbe next to skin.

oh, and $20 is hard to argue with. Good call.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 01:07:27 PM by yugi »

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 07:31:34 AM »
actually dreading putting on the 5:4 for the first time this season later today  :'(
YouTube

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 08:17:16 AM »
Like yugi, I wear a warmer suit for kitesurfing than SUP, due to wind chill.  I've tried slick skin options but found the best thing that worked for me was a fuzzy (fleece lined) shirt (or leggings) under my suit.  The air pockets it creates helps me stay warmer.
For kitesurfing, when it gets really cold, I started wearing a paddling splash jacket over my suit.  My hands used to freeze, but with this my core stays warm, so my hands stay warm.
Another thing that helps is to wear an impact vest.  For kitesurfing I wear one by promotion, for SUP I wear the Oneill Gooru.  When it is cold, I may wear both for kitesurfing, makes the harness feel very comfortable.  The Oneill Gooru feels like wearing at least an extra mm of warmth around the chest.
We lose 30% of our heat through our head.  In the winter a Gath helmet helps you stay warm.  Wearing a hood inside keeps the ears warm.  When it is really cold a full hood that covers the artery on your neck makes a big difference.
Located in Northern California, when it is chilly, typically wear a 5/4/3 (surf model) for kitesurfing, and a 4/3 Ripcurl Flashbomb for (SUP) surfing.  Warmer seasons coupled with a farmer john and 3/2 with a normal rashguard.
I don't like overheating while on SUP, it makes me sweat, which eventually leads to cramping. 
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 10:29:46 AM »
That new RipCurl Flashbomb heatseeker 5/3 looks sweet. I really like 3mm on arms and shoulders for paddling and kite since arms are free to move. But have 5mm on legs to stay warm. Prefer 3mm arms and a windbreaker. Plus if one overheats on a sunny day it's so easy to adjust layers.

I've got one of those windbreakers with a hook-hole I slap over the harness.

Once water is below 50F/10C I always wear an impact vest anyway. At least when it's howling.

Jonesing now for that 5/3. Damn you.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 10:35:03 AM by yugi »

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 05:45:50 AM »
O'Neil & Ripcurl make fine suits
But if you are looking for an arms up suit (easier for KS & SUP)

I'd highly recommend the HYPERFLEX VooDoo wind They are a jersey company so they KNOW COLD water they have integrated hoods I can get you a KILLER ZONER DEAL on this if you are interested

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 06:51:55 AM »
Am a WARM owner of the Rip Curl FB Heat Seeker 6 4 Zip Free.

There is a review by a Scottish Kiter who got one from Cleanline in Oregon.

And a review from some clown called SharkBoy..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2018, 07:15:16 AM »
O'Neil & Ripcurl make fine suits
But if you are looking for an arms up suit (easier for KS & SUP)

I'd highly recommend the HYPERFLEX VooDoo wind They are a jersey company so they KNOW COLD water they have integrated hoods I can get you a KILLER ZONER DEAL on this if you are interested

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

I had the Voodoo, and while it had some nice kiteboarding-specific features, it felt pretty heavy and cumbersone compared to my Rip Curl/O'Neill suits. Granted that suit was 5 years ago, but I just remember jumping into a ONeill suit and it being much more flexible, etc.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard