Author Topic: Concept Sunova: Big Boy Bombora  (Read 13851 times)

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Concept Sunova: Big Boy Bombora
« on: November 09, 2018, 06:48:24 AM »
Thought this would be fun and appealing to the big boys out there, and after seeing that beautiful Sunova "Nozza" Search, it got me thinking. Thought I would post here and see where it goes.

My Specs: 6'3", 230#trunking, 53yo, decent all around waterman. I've sent Bert, Tino & Rick an inquiry with my ideas/mods on a custom using the 12' Search 12x30"x4.5" 179L as a starter. I want a 12' board to access Pt Breaks  that are a couple miles out, want it to be a good paddler w/glide and max stability that can surf 2' to 10'. I look fwd to Bert's feedback.

Below are my suggested mods:
~ 5 Fin setup. want to run Quad and Single fin
~ Bump width and/or thickness to add stability & volume for my size. Q; does added rail curve help turning?
~ Round pintail
~ Maybe add a little nose kick?
~ 2x leash plugs and a nose GoPro/FCS plug
~ Updated new and improved carry handle?

I've checked out the Atlantis Venom & Jimmy Lewis Bombora type boards to incorporate into the Search design. Look fwd to everyones thoughts.

Wonder if there's anyone else out there who would be into a board like this?

Cheers,
JB (RbGar)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 07:06:05 AM by rbgar »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Concept Sunova: Big Boy Bombora
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 07:52:46 AM »
In my experience, dropped rails are a big deal on larger boards. They tend to get thick in the middle unless they are a potato chip, so they don't turn well from the middle if the rail isn't thinned. I tend to stay closer to the center than some surfers, so that might be a bigger deal for me than others, I like to wander to the nose as much as possible. My favorite big board, the Foote Triton 10'6", has dropped rails that rise quicker than the front rocker. Hard to describe and hard to even photograph. I think it's the reason why the board turns so well, though Bill Foote doesn't say so. It's a challenge to get any technical information from Bill about his shapes.

My other favorite big board is the SIC Ku Nalu/Starboard 12'2" and it's more modern stepchild, the SIC 11'7". The best thing about this board is it's paddling speed--it's practically a race board. Part of that is the how narrow it is, and how straight the rails are, but I think the speed comes mostly from the rocker, which the 11'7" shares, but it's much wider, so the rails are more curved. The 11'7" is a little slower, but not much, and if I were taking a big SUP to the outer reefs, that would be my choice. Good stability, good paddling speed, turns better. The Ku Nalu turns from the tail--the straight rails tuck in to a squash tail so it turns OK if you stand well behind the handle, but doesn't do much from the middle and it sucks as a noserider.

For your list:
I like quads as well as thrusters, but I wouldn't care to paddle a quad for two miles.  Single fin is fine for downwind and racing but won't turn well on a big board. I'd make sure that whatever fin setup you choose will still work as a thruster.

I doubt you'd need much more than 30 inches. Length adds stability, it just does it more slowly than width. Maybe 31, but more than that and it will be a tub.

I don't know what a round pintail is. A real pin will help turn, but takes away a lot of roll stability. I'd probably go with a squash tail. Adds a little stability, stretches out the tail curve. Doesn't turn as quickly, but I think on balance it's a good solution.

Nose kick will slow the board a lot and turn it into an eleven footer--maybe even a ten. You might like it in a steep wave, but everywhere else it will be a liability.

I'm hot sure what carry handle Sunova is using now. If I were specifying a custom board I'd have them duplicate the SIC handle, which is the best way to control a big board I know of. I can load my 17 Bullet in wicked Hood River crosswind gusts, by myself, with crap shoulders. It really makes carrying a board super easy.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 08:24:39 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 08:35:24 AM »
The One World SUP Series is a proven board in this genre...we've built a number of custom big boy iterations with a 5 fin box option...
We built NightWing a custom scaled down ECOBOARD version not too long ago...with Robert's SUP Grip handle...

https://supsports.com/standup-paddle-boards/one-world-series/
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 08:37:38 AM by SUP Sports ® »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 08:44:24 AM »
ah the wing machine

nice orange

sic handles are in fact excellent--they do take up some space, so not sure with smaller board--only one i ever held was on a 14' v2
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 09:29:15 AM »
"access Pt Breaks that are a couple miles out"  Jee'z, Gar, I'd want a 3/4" leash with two connections - and have pre-positioned a Whaler with a snack bar. If you were closer (I know you can't be.) you could try my Venom.   You got Warren's attention, and I'm sure Bert's mental gears have activated his salivary glands.  Good for you.

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 10:40:21 AM »
"access Pt Breaks that are a couple miles out"  Jee'z, Gar, I'd want a 3/4" leash with two connections - and have pre-positioned a Whaler with a snack bar. If you were closer (I know you can't be.) you could try my Venom.   You got Warren's attention, and I'm sure Bert's mental gears have activated his salivary glands.  Good for you.

Jim

Thx Jim, one of my local Pt's isn't really two miles out, its up the coast about a 3+ mile round trip. Searching for a good fitness touring board that can ride waves, so many times Im out on the 14' Bark cruising and come across waist/chest waves, the Bark kicks my ass, and when its firing you escape the crowds!

8)

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 10:45:14 AM »
Maybe Bert already has one for you, look at the 9"11" 29 5/8 140.4 liter Sunova INSANE

Here's some info from the website:

GENERAL GOAL | THEME OF THE BOARD
A step up for surfing solid over head waves...

WAVE TYPE ||| SIZE IT'S WORKING BEST
Juicy heavy waves..  ||| Head and a half plus..

MANEUVERS IT DOES BEST
Power carves and high speed hacks…

SKILL LEVEL IT'S BEST FOR
Advanced to Pro..

PADDLE POWER
SPEED: Below average due to a healthy rocker..

DIRECTIONAL CONTROL: Good, low rail and narrowness keep it going forward..

OVER WHITE WATER: Also below average due to narrower nose..

WAVE CATCHING ABILITY: Most drops will be late, but every aspect is designed so you stick it (no point getting in earlier only to come unstuck on the way down)

WHAT YOU THOUGHT OF WHEN YOU DESIGNED IT?
The Goal was a board for solid waves, firstly from team guys in Hawaii and South West Australia then advanced customers from there and different parts of the world, James Casey has been invaluable in taking this model and refining it to the next level for radical surfing at Sunset…

WHAT IS POSSIBLY COMPROMISES ON THEN?
No compromises, it just needs to be ridden in the right conditions…

SHAPE DETAILS SUMMARY |
DESIGN INFO
OUTLINE
SLEEK CLEAN OUTLINE, FLYER, PIN-TAIL...

In juicy waves, the biggest priority is firstly making the drop, with the narrower nose, while on one hand maybe the paddle power is not so good, having less nose area does not catch the wind and has less chance of digging a rail at the bottom, the narrower nose blends into a straighter clean curve which carries speed well while the rail is engaged or your drawing a line around a section, the flyer helps to break that drawn out line and allow you to tighten up a turn, square off and pull into a tighter part of the wave or snap under the lip at speed, as you step back onto the pin you can either wash off speed for a stall or attack sections with confidence, knowing the tail will bite…

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 10:46:30 AM »
Thanks all, deff don't want to go to wide but stability is king that I dont want to be all tired/burnt by the time I get out there, its also rarely glassy conditions too. I haven't heard back from Bert yet, deff want his input on this concept.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 11:43:34 AM by rbgar »

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 11:09:55 AM »
I have a 12'1x27x4 pintail carbon custom SUP that I love.  For me it serves the purpose you described.  I am 6'2 230 lbs and wear a full wetsuit much of the year.  I have no trouble with the 27" width and, for me, keeping it narrow is an important part of performance.  This board is great.  It surfs well in a range of wave sizes, can be used in the rec races legally, is a decent downwinder in a pinch.  You are definitely on the right track looking at a board like this.

Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 11:16:32 AM »
I've been thinking about a board like this for years.

30" is too wide and slow for such a long board. I'd go more for 28".

Give it rails that provide plenty of glide for getting into waves early.

It should be able to surf well on any size wave. The Bombora and Insane are designed specifically for giant waves and probably wouldn't do well for everyday surf. Give it just enough rocker but not too much.

Offer a lower volume version for the not so heavy riders. Maybe 140 liters.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 11:22:00 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 11:24:56 AM »
Warren the black handle on your red/orange board looks just like the Blue Planet handle.  Are you guys collaborating?

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 02:44:40 PM »
Warren the black handle on your red/orange board looks just like the Blue Planet handle.  Are you guys collaborating?

Aloha Bean,
We've done several of those installs of Robert's BP SUP Grip on new boards...it's simply a matter of trying to give our clients exactly what they want on their custom boards...
A number of our clients prefer external grips in their preferred location(s)...different strokes for different folks...etc...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2018, 11:52:21 AM »
Very cool Warren, I’m a big fan of the BP grip especially on larger boards.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2018, 01:53:36 PM »
Thought this would be fun and appealing to the big boys out there, and after seeing that beautiful Sunova "Nozza" Search, it got me thinking. Thought I would post here and see where it goes.

My Specs: 6'3", 230#trunking, 53yo, decent all around waterman. I've sent Bert, Tino & Rick an inquiry with my ideas/mods on a custom using the 12' Search 12x30"x4.5" 179L as a starter. I want a 12' board to access Pt Breaks  that are a couple miles out, want it to be a good paddler w/glide and max stability that can surf 2' to 10'. I look fwd to Bert's feedback.

~ Bump width and/or thickness to add stability & volume for my size. Q; does added rail curve help turning?
~ Round pintail
~ 2x leash plugs and a nose GoPro/FCS plug
~ Updated new and improved carry handle?

I've been following this topic thread.

In the posts above mine, WarDog (Warren) has shown my custom built scaled down orange rail colored One World with it's 5 fin boxes and it's specs are 11'1"x30"x4.5" @ 173 Liters. With a 11' board like mine, the 5 fin boxes gives you some good choices fin size wise since the OW is a narrow pin tail. I don't think WarDog (Warren) has ever built a OW as light in liters (173) as my board is. I'm 68 years old, 5'8" tall and (right now) I weigh 144 lbs.

Even though I'm light in weight, I chose the 173 liters of volume for my OW with the 30" width of the board for my cranky lower back and for the waves I usually encounter on the upper Texas coast where go sup surfing. A 6' foot is a tall wave in height where I sup surf since we mostly get 2'-3' waves most of the time. At other times, we get slow roller type of waves and they're 2' in height. My nose kick has the right amount of nose kick too along with my two dual leash plugs.

Since there are places where I carry my OW a long ways, this is why I wanted Robert's BP Sup Grip because of my surgically repaired left and right shoulders. With this type of grip, it is easier for me to carry my sup since my small fingers don't get tired either.

Since you want a 12' sup and mine is 11'1", you might want to talk with WarDog (Warren), tell him what you want specs wise and see if he can design a custom OW for you like he did for me. He might be able to make you a 12' One World. This way, you can have another choice for a custom board.

Incidentally, Warren didn't show top my deck pad in the photos above and if I can remember how to post a photo, I'm going to post my OW with it's deck pad and also the hard to see kick pad at the tail end of the board. And if you look closely at the photo, you can see my BP Sup Grip. Hope this works.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 02:04:11 PM by Night Wing »
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2018, 02:13:38 PM »

~ Round pintail

Since you mentioned a little nose kick, I thought you might like to see what my OW's nose kick looks like on flat water.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal