Author Topic: Flat water Paddles  (Read 1579 times)

Cruisinby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Flat water Paddles
« on: December 18, 2018, 12:27:40 PM »
Are the newer paddles used today that much better than say 5 year and older ?    What paddle area sized paddles being used today for flat water and touring ?    I looking to upgrade my flat water paddle that is 7 yrs old.   

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Flat water Paddles
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 12:47:35 PM »
I would say that in general the answer is no, they're pretty much the same. That said, you could be getting a top notch paddle for a lot less
these days. Not sure what you have, that would help to establish if you're really going to benefit from such an upgrade.

Blade size perception though has changed big time! Going smaller and smaller over the past 5 years. Again, if you'd share you current blade size and
your dimensions you would be able to get a much better answer.
in progress...

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 02:05:10 PM »
Are the newer paddles used today that much better than say 5 year and older ?    What paddle area sized paddles being used today for flat water and touring ?    I looking to upgrade my flat water paddle that is 7 yrs old.

Shorter shafts, smaller blades and lighter construction. That's a huge difference to just 5 years ago. However, if you're not into racing, it's probably not enough for you to worry about.

Cruisinby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 05:25:31 PM »
Currently using one of the old Werner blue fiberglass nitro models,  Im guessing 95 or 100sq inch from 2010 of 11.   I do like the longer length over the short one I use in the surf.   I am not doing any racing, just touring long distance for fun.   I usually have one spreed, fun and more fun unless Im being chased in the water by a 4000 lb elephant seal for entering his feedimg area.   

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 06:17:15 PM »
I had that one few years back. Built like a tank but at 100sqi felt too much after a while
or when windy. It was also about 23oz so on the heavier side.

You could get something in the range of 80-85sqi with a flexi shaft at 17oz range at pretty
good price these days. It will make a big difference in comfort level.

If your happy with the Werner, their new stuff will feel familiar but better,
either the Flow or the Trance depends on how much you want to invest and if the extra
weight cut worth the $50. Their build quality is still top notch.
in progress...

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 02:33:13 AM »
There are two observations that I currently have:

1) Paddlers should match paddle size based on knowing what suits their physiology.
2) That many paddlers are replicating what the pro's use in terms of size yet do not have the physiology to support it. Don't be afraid to downsize.

I'm 6ft 3 and 90kg, of a decent level of fitness (and a competitive amateur athlete) and I'm using a 88sq face. I'll probably go smaller again on my next one.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal