Author Topic: Shout Out To Werner Paddles  (Read 2905 times)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Shout Out To Werner Paddles
« on: November 07, 2018, 10:54:11 AM »
We are always disappointed when a piece of gear fails, and then maybe upset when the manufacturer and / or dealer doesn’t make it right for us.

So I wanted to acknowledge some tremendous customer service I received from Werner paddles. My wife and I just got back from a trip to the Cook Islands. For our trip, I took my inflatable board with me along with my new Werner, three piece travel paddle. This is the new design they have with the “lever lock” system. I had maybe used the paddle once or twice before taking it with me to the Cook Islands. When I went to use the paddle on vacation, the lever lock system failed. I was still able to use the paddle, but it was clearly not functioning the way it should, and for a while I didn’t think I would be able to use it.

So then we returned home and I gave Werner a call. It took me one phone call and one e-mail with a couple of pictures to get this issue resolved. Total time from the first phone call to having the issue resolved was about 1 1/2 hours. Absolutely fantastic customer service.

I’ve always maintained that every business is going to have products that fail. It’s how the business takes care of the customer when a failure occurs that matters to me. And in this case, Werner came through with flying colours.

I should also point out that I’m not affiliated with Werner in any way. Just wanted to acknowledge some fantastic customer service on their part.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
Re: Shout Out To Werner Paddles
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 12:01:36 PM »
Very nice.

I'll add that a Werner rep offered to, and did, personally deliver a demo paddle to me, leaving it for a week. I thought that was a little above and beyond.   
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 12:52:16 PM »
its nice to hear a story about good customer service
keep it up Werner!

singingdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 04:09:37 AM »
They are the real deal. I have been using their paddles for 20 years: whitewater kayaking, touring, and now SUP. I have werner whitewater paddles with 500+ days of abuse on them: still going strong.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 05:57:49 AM »
Good call QB  ...'when someone comes thru.   I like their Rip Stick ...'nice manly shaft.  'Feels especially right in my left hand.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 11:14:04 AM »
Good call QB  ...'when someone comes thru. 

Jim

Kinda ironic that QB doesn't use a QB. My first paddle was a 2- piece fiberglass Werner Ottertail. It's been used a ton by family and friends for 10 years and it's still in good shape.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 11:18:47 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 07:43:43 AM »
Kinda ironic that QB doesn't use a QB.

Too funny! But actually, my main paddle is a ZRE. I bought the Werner for a travel paddle. I like Werner paddles, and have used them for both kayaking and SUP. I just like my ZRE better. I only posted to recognize what I felt was some outstanding customer service.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 10:10:22 PM »
I’d like to get a Werner paddle because of their pedigree, construction and customer  service. But what stops me is:

1. I don’t find the Werner handles very comfortable. The grip encourages a particular angle of the wrist which doesn’t suit me. I wish they had a choice of grips or alternative designs. I’m not sure why they have principally stuck with this one concept for the last 10 years or so rather than evolving and trying other options.

2. No oval shafts, as far as I’m aware. The success for the QB oval tapered shaft amongst top racers should have sent a message to the SUP paddle makers by now, I’d have thought.

3. The connection between the blade and the shaft is not flush. I don’t want a ridge down there, exactly where it may knock against the rail of my board. Let’s have a flush fitting please.

Please sort these issues out, Werner, so that those of us who are willing for fork out lots of money for a high end paddle (but want high end features and clever design solutions in return) can buy Werner.

No doubt everyone will now say how much they love these features. But these are my personal reasons, and I know that I’m not alone. I could potentially benefit from QB having some serious company up there amongst the elite SUP paddle brands, hence why I am bothering to give this feedback.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 08:12:57 AM »
A-10... You made me go look.

1. Agree.  My hand wants to roll over the top. I would prefer the base of my palm set/stay fixed.  I do not have a large hand, but almost all are too narrow to my taste.  I would have a simple, centered (4-way), wide T for them all.

2. Disagree - Sorta.  I am in mainly multi-angled, multi swell situations with an innate instability issue = falling a lot.  The only stick I have broken was an oval.  I like the 'directional' sense provided by the oval, but not the fragility.  (I always carry two paddles on my cart - even if only one board)

3. Agree...  I hadn't really looked.  It's on my desk, and two things bother:  the head of the ferrule is abrupt, sharp and proud of the shaft by 2mm  ..but more disturbing are the blade edges (3mm wide) come all the way up to the head of the ferrule and flare to about 10mm at what would be the base of the shaft.  You can see they trimmed it with a grinder (because it is not symmetrical).  I will soften those edges; I can see places where this general area made contact.

Thanks for pointing that out.   Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal