Author Topic: Remove Water from Board  (Read 8985 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Remove Water from Board
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2018, 07:58:35 AM »
Keep it up Beasho. I've written off a few boards because of the old 'drip in the sun' just wasn't enough. After a lot of repairs, gain 2, drop 1 doesn't cut it.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2018, 08:06:50 AM »
I like the idea of the fish pump injecting dry air at the same time I run the vacuum but if you chill the air through a bong you be creating condensation unless the air is already very dry coming in. Easier way to get dry air...dessicant air dryer needed I think. Buy a jug of dessicant and screw air connections into it and pump through it to the board.
https://www.amazon.com/DRY-Replacement-Desiccant-Indicating-Reusable/dp/B019NN1GBG/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1542038022&sr=8-18&keywords=desiccant+air+dryer
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 08:12:12 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2018, 09:10:09 AM »
Hmmmmm
Maybe attach a moisture absorber by a tube:

Arm & Hammer FGAH14 Moisture Absorber & Max Odor Eliminator Tub, 14 Ounce
by Arm & Hammer
3.5 out of 5 stars 172 customer reviews
| 29 answered questions
Amazon's Choice for "odor eliminators"
Price:    $4.78 Free shipping for Prime members when buying this Add-on Item. 

Combines the power of two natural ingredients - baking soda and calcium Chloride crystals - crystals absorbs excess moisture to eliminate musty odors
    Baking soda neutralizes tough odors and freshens the air also prevents unpleasant smells on fabrics and stored possessions
    Keeps small rooms and areas smelling fresh all year and is septic-safe
    Ideal for us in bathrooms, basements, closets, laundry rooms , and basements
    Lasts up to 60 days and disposable after use
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2018, 06:45:11 PM »
Beasho, I’ll dig up my pics and post up the one I modified for others who may want to try this.  Super simple to change the tubs from push to suck and you’re done.

Also note that you can’t burn these up. They are magnetic so they can run under “load” forever really. It’s not like an electric motor, it’s an oscillating magnet so there’s not a direct pump connection. Super safe.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 06:49:50 PM by surfcowboy »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2018, 06:51:55 PM »
You can buy bulk desiccant packs from shipping supply places and just baked them in the oven to recharge them. Use them over and over. Any local computer or electronics supply has them all over. Bake the packs at low temp on a piece of foil for like 5min and you’re back in business. No need to toss them.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2018, 03:09:30 PM »
You have the air temperature idea backward. You might note clothes dryers have heaters. Yes, cold air can't contain as much moisture as hot. Chilling warm air brings it closer to saturation, meaning there isn't much capability to add moisture, so it won't dry your board. It will also chill the surface of the entrained water which makes it evaporate less. Warm, DRY air is what you want, and if you can't get it dry then just air that has been heated without adding moisture. Failing that, just air.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2018, 11:21:12 PM »
Simple way to get the air dry would be to drop the aquarium pump in the bottom of a container and then pour dessicant over it. Bury it 10" deep.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2018, 06:39:28 AM »
Simple way to get the air dry would be to drop the aquarium pump in the bottom of a container and then pour dessicant over it. Bury it 10" deep.

Yes!!!!

I am using the Input/Output pump and sucking air from the bottom of a half Gallon of Desiccant.  The intake hose was jammed to the bottom of the beads.  The hose is in a hole in the TOP of the bottle that is slightly larger than the black irrigation tubing. 

I was hopeful that this would work but I have been stalled out at 21# for a while.  Targeting 18.4#.

I have been applying various forms of this for several days.  The good news is that there is condensation on the SUCKER side of the board.  The bad news is that it is taking a LONG while and NOT moving the scale. 

Next thought is to potentially carve open the board at the ding.  However if the water logged foam can't be isolated the repair weight may end up equal to the water removed weight.

https://youtu.be/ciMeggbyKX4
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 06:41:32 AM by Beasho »

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2018, 06:53:32 AM »
Defcon five. Parabolic space heater in a small space. Sauna. Hot hot hot.

That's what got the last water out with my little aquarium pump. Try and see.

As usual YMMV!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2018, 06:54:21 AM »
Foobar. Delete would be nice Randy!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 06:56:45 AM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2018, 08:54:28 AM »
You're battling a lot of little issues. First is simply that the path of the air is somewhat fixed--easiest path--anywhere there is water gets somewhat blocked by water in interstices between the EPS cells so air flow is a small fraction of total. Second, the water is now mostly inside the little EPS cells. What you got at first is the stuff that was so saturated and localized it would almost slosh. Third, given time and movement the water spreads throughout the structure. You can get some of that, but it takes forever. And finally, if it's salt water the EPS has lots of hydrophilic minerals now, and your evaporation increases the concentration and makes them work even better. If you do cut the board open and dig out some EPS you should taste it--it will be super salty. Any future leak will find the open arms of ionization potential.

And yup, if you hack you'll add some weight. How much is up to your skill level. I use DW's technique of prewetting the cloth on a table and scraping off the excess epoxy. Replace the gouged foam with something light and dry (EPS), minimize gluing--you don't need much, though I know you love that Gorilla. Stick to a few layers of prewet, let set hard, sand, and do two very light hotcoats and you might stay less than the weight you removed. But I doubt it. And if you don't seal the pinholes you'll be back to wet board sooner or later.

I wish someone made 1.5 pound closed cell foam that wouldn't delam if you look at it crosseyed.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2018, 09:21:34 AM »
Check out Varial blanks. A much better mousetrap. Currently only in shorter lengths.
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2018, 09:37:09 AM »
Yeah, I've looked at them and other closed cell blanks, They look good, but I doubt they'll ever be available in useful sizes.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2018, 10:01:38 AM »
Rumor has it they may make some beeg wans for Infinity..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2018, 12:39:50 PM »
You're battling a lot of little issues. First is simply that the path of the air is somewhat fixed--easiest path--anywhere there is water gets somewhat blocked by water . . .

All feared true.  I may go down the extraction path.

There was one ding, from the airlines, on the bottom of the board that I repaired long ago.  It was crappy epoxy but covered with packaging tape.  Started spouting in the sun.  Bad, bad old ding.

I think it is the culprit for long term leakage and likely source of most weight.  It would be great if we could MRI these things and find the source of problem.  I do have a FLIR camera maybe some way to differentiate from heat patterns  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal