Author Topic: Remove Water from Board  (Read 8993 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Remove Water from Board
« on: November 07, 2018, 05:33:40 AM »
Old Topic - New Thread

I found this link from the Board Lady 10 years ago.  Anybody have any faster remedies?

With my SUP's I wouldn't worry much but this board came out of the UPS Truck at 18.4# and it needs to fly with LOW swing weight.   

I added straps so + 1.5#.  Latest measurement was 23.2#  HELP!!!!!

PS: Just 2 dings caused this.  One to the tail - Fixed.  And a paddle whack crack to the nose.

https://boardlady.com/waterextraction.htm

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Remove Water from Board
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 06:08:19 AM »
I’ve had good luck attaching vacuum pump to ding, with goretex plug removed. Air sucks into bung loudly, water flies out of ding. Just need to keep water from getting sucked into pump.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 06:18:49 AM »
I built the vacuum press from Joe Woodworker for this and for builds. I need to build a dropleg for it though...almost sucked water into the pump last time.
https://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/welcome.htm
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 06:21:56 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 07:28:12 AM »
Here is my vac chugging away.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 12:56:48 PM »
Based on info I got from an Aussie site I did the following which is bass ackwards from many.

Loose vent water enters. A tiny cheap pump for a fish tank with the hose inserted chugs away. A warm environment is best. The water evaporates and is carried out by the airflow.

No drilling, no high pressure, kinda slow.

However 💥 after two days of put put put..Voila, a full half pound of weight from the water absorbed vanished.

The vent was replaced. And I did learn exactly how much Hexatraction Octagons weigh.

Worked a treat. I didn't check the vent - my bad!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 02:11:02 PM »
Loose vent water enters. A tiny cheap pump for a fish tank with the hose inserted chugs away. A warm environment is best. The water evaporates and is carried out by the airflow.

No drilling, no high pressure, kinda slow. . .

OK! - We may have something here. 

Rather than buying a FULL-TILT vacuum system.  Can you use an Aquarium pump? 

Put a hose on the pump INTAKE, e.g. low pressure side, and then use the CHEAP aquarium pump to apply a small vacuum to the board similar to the pictures above.  This might save a few hundred bucks and work for intermediate term water removal (e.g. 1 to 2 weeks).  If you fry the pump consider it disposable.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 03:37:02 PM »
Here is my vac chugging away.
That looks like a re-purposed pool cue rack.. Now it's a vacuum pump rack? Nice.....
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 05:02:20 PM »
Very close TD, in this case a fishing pole rack ;D

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 05:23:53 AM »
. . . .
OK! - We may have something here. 

Rather than buying a FULL-TILT vacuum system.  Can you use an Aquarium pump? 

Put a hose on the pump INTAKE, e.g. low pressure side, and then use the CHEAP aquarium pump to apply a small vacuum to the board similar to the pictures above.  This might save a few hundred bucks and work for intermediate term water removal (e.g. 1 to 2 weeks).  If you fry the pump consider it disposable.

Like Raindrops from Heaven COLA's, back from the dead, pinged me on the SeaBreeze forum:

"Hi Beasho, I stumbled upon your question on vacuum pumps.

Using a fishtank pump is easy, but not all of them can work: you need to open them an reverse the valves, it is not possible on all models, and the pressure is very weak.
Howto: https://www.instructables.com/id/Vacuum-Pump-from-Aquarium-Air-Pump/

Some are ready to use: https://www.amazon.com/Tom-Aquatics-Aqua-Lifter-Dosing-Pump/dp/B001EUI390

I use now a cheap reversible airbrush pump by Wiltec, it has a decent pressure and a solid build:
https://www.wiltec.de/airbrush-mini-compressor-and-vacuum-pump-in-one-device-as20w.html

Here I used 2 fishtank pumps: one to pull (on the ding) one to push (replacing the vent)
The board was kept at 40C / 50C to keep the water molecules mobile

But you will never be able to get all the water out if the water has stayed many days in the board. Once the humidity is set in, it is over. You will spend more in electricity trying to extract the last pounds of water for months than just reselling the board and buying a new one.
"
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 05:25:51 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 05:38:38 AM »
After having the board sit in the SUN and letting it drain vertically it dropped a single pound.

The straps weigh ~ 6 oz.  So the net weight here would be ~22.3#.

I'll remove the straps later. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 05:56:07 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 05:59:03 AM »
Hooked up the $30 aquarium pump from Amazon.  Couldn't wait for the fish tank tubing to be delivered so I used some irrigation tubing.

I had a theory that there might also be some residual water in the tail from a ding I repaired 2 months ago.  I drilled a fresh 11/64" hole near the ding at the "Bottom" of the board and put the pump on.

For the first 20 minutes NOTHING.  I went surfing and came back.  After 2 hours and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THM975K-ygk

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 06:00:30 AM »
Figured I would attempt to accelerate things using natural heat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=947izf2gYPc

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 06:05:54 AM »
At this point I was emboldened.  Anywhere there was a ding, that might have let some water in, I was drilling out and draining.

Bottom of the board.  If I am going to take the time to do this I might as well try to pull it all out.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 06:14:01 AM »
This was the best discovery of the Day - COLAS you are a genius. 

I am halfway to home - 21.2# without Straps.

Targeting 18.4#

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 06:49:26 AM »
Next Level Thinking:

COLAS has suggested that this will reach a MINIMUM extraction point.  Say with 1# of water still in the board.

This is unacceptable so I am going to challenge this crew with thinking outside the box.

1) Water in a Vacuum will boil aka evaporate 100%
2) A Vacuum would likely crush the board BUT a true pump would be able to better approximate a Vacuum and likely extract MORE water
3) Cold air does NOT hold moisture.  Therefore REALLY cold air could be a great desiccant.

Could a combination of these pieces FULLY Dry out the Board?

The thinking is to get a second pump (Like COLAS did) but bubbling the input AIR through an ICE BATH.  Like an old fashioned Bong.  By cooling the incoming air to 32 degrees the moisture would have to drop.  Then pipe the COLD, DRY air INTO the vent of the board at positive pressure. 

Run the extractor pump(s) from the ding area.  Cold dry air in, slightly more moist air out and VOILA you dry the board from the inside out.  Do this in the sun and you might have a triple whammy.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 06:51:44 AM by Beasho »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal