Author Topic: Outline of a sprint board  (Read 3845 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Outline of a sprint board
« on: December 24, 2018, 07:42:06 AM »
Revisiting the ISA Championship was very interesting to see the boards taking 1st on the sprint races.

Especially on the men side, against recent conventional wisdom where sprint shape is a pin nose/wide tail,
the board that seem to give extra gear to its rider was a wide nose/pulled-in tail with least amount of waterline.

Just makes me wonder how compromised are these shapes from main stream manufacturers.

On the women side, though a main stream brand, the one board that doesn't follow conventional wisdom (Maliko)
with pulled-out nose / pulled-in tail and I'm pretty sure the widest board on the field.
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
Re: Outline of a sprint board
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 09:04:55 AM »
I would not think that the Maliko that was used would be the production construction and weight. too heavy to accelerate quickly I would think.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 09:59:38 AM »
I can't say for sure, but her board did have all the markings of a production board, including the usual production measurements on the left side.
Regardless, this is still a board that doesn't follow the conventional sprint shape.
in progress...

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 10:41:56 AM »
The Maliko that Tarryn used was production - the Maliko shape is great for sprinting - it's a planing hull design which lifts and goes on plane for short distances with a strong paddler. Hence the great success of Casper and others on that board in shorter sprint disciplines - it's usually the first board at first buoy. But distance racing is another story.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 12:46:23 PM »
Makes sense to me, the best way to go faster than the hull speed of a 14' board is to create enough dynamic lift to slide on top of the water and reduce the wetted surface area.  This can only be maintained for a short time by very strong paddlers but I guess it works for sprints.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 12:49:49 PM »
Well mine as become my go-to board for almost everything and i have to say that I find it a fast board for my limited aptitudes. That said I am never on flat water no wind no current so that might be different there. Best CAD 2,200 I have spent.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 01:48:23 PM »
Straight rails make a huge difference in drag, but are fairly horrid for stability and turning.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 03:09:34 PM »
Makes me think a good downwind board with some minor tweaks might be a better
sprint board than the Starboard Sprint (which begs a reasoning for the moniker).
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 03:32:28 PM »
You'd have to ditch the rocker--or at least most of it. It cracks me up that people think a 17' V1 SIC would be an advantage in flat water paddling. 17 feet of pain.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 03:45:25 PM »
You'd have to ditch the rocker--or at least most of it. It cracks me up that people think a 17' V1 SIC would be an advantage in flat water paddling. 17 feet of pain.

I so so agree.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 04:01:06 PM »

I was more thinking along the line of the 14 range rather, say Bayonet 14 for example, Very fast, not so much rocker early to plane. A good template to start with.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 04:52:31 PM by burchas »
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 07:29:50 PM »
The SIC Bullet 14v1 will go plenty fast over very short distances despite lots of rocker if you have the power. It was actually sprinting that board that first made me realise the potential of planing-type boards for short sprints. But I do mean *short*. If we raced over even maybe 100m more than we usually do, the designs of the most effective boards would probably be quite different.

The Starboard Sprint might be great for a “sprint” that is 1 mile long. Not so great for 1-200m or less.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal