Author Topic: If you are wondering why I'm desperate to learn to downwind foil the Gorge...  (Read 5212 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Keep at it Bill.

I have been a fan of bigger wings for a while.  Most people want to go small and struggle.  Like an old guy flailing his arms on a 5' 6" shortboard. 

I have been having success using the IWA with a smaller tail in BIG waves.  Up to 10 foot faces.  Most people probably downgrade to a smaller foil but the smaller (KAI) foil flies like crap.  Go big and learn how to deal with it.

Add to this the observation that skilled people are finding lines that others can't make work and you realize there is a heck of lot to learn.  Being in shape NO DOUBT HELPS but having the hope that you can use mind over matter may be all you need to fire the stoke.

skideeppow

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I saw on another video TJ grabbed some fishing line with his foil, stopped him dead.

I have used that Supskin suit.  I am a big guy, and it was super tight on me.  It is a true Euro fit. 

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
I have been having success using the IWA with a smaller tail in BIG waves. 

what smaller tail?  did you cut doen the IWA tail or are you running the KAI tail?

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
With your foilsurf and downwind experience, I am sure you will get it, Bill.  I think you are right on the bigger wings, Beasho.  I foil surfed the IWA wing for five hours yesterday and it is night and day from my M160... more controlled and can turn much sooner on the drop and ride higher in the wave.    Have a M200 and IWA coming now... doh this is an expensive sport!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 11:16:06 AM by 805StandUp »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
I have been having success using the IWA with a smaller tail in BIG waves. 

what smaller tail?  did you cut doen the IWA tail or are you running the KAI tail?

Iwa with Kai tail - YES!  Didn't take too much Jerry Rigging from my original KAI only mast.  Just had to move the screw hole 1/16" with a dremel. 

It is SUPER Pitch-Twitchy in flight.  BUT it will NOT Overfoil when your feet are in the straps.  The Center of Lift moves so far aft I find myself almost riding wheelies off my back foot to keep it flying. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 11:33:56 AM by Beasho »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
FYI, Dave Kalama and a few other team riders have custom cut down rear wings they ride. Alex chops the ends off the bigger one to get the in between size.

I think they call it the Kalama tail wing. My buddy has one. They use it a lot.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
That's such a great stretch of that river. Arguably the best. We used to camp at a secret spot halfway through that canyon in the early 90's. We would windsurf all day in those huge rollers and party/bonfire at night. More than once we needed to make a trip to The Dalles emergency department in the middle of the night. Those were the days. Looks like they have the magic ticket to ride!! I couldn't get XXL Supskin past my quadriceps btw.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
FYI, Dave Kalama and a few other team riders have custom cut down rear wings they ride. Alex chops the ends off the bigger one to get the in between size.

I think they call it the Kalama tail wing. My buddy has one. They use it a lot.

any photos?  I have two of the IWA/MALIKO rear wings and am seriously considering cutting one down.  Was going to take a little off at a time and ride it along the way just to see.  It would be cool to have a decent idea where other people have ended up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal