Author Topic: Video: A closer look at a custom Kalama SUP  (Read 3666 times)

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Video: A closer look at a custom Kalama SUP
« on: October 13, 2018, 03:18:50 PM »
Here is a short video giving you a look at the custom foil SUP Dave Kalama shaped for me this summer. I'm still getting used to the board, but I'm having so much fun flying it.  Mine is 6-1 X 29.5 X ???.  Let me know if you have any questions about the board. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpMXjtb8OmQ&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 03:33:02 PM by Evan Lloyd »

Newps

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Video: A closer look at a custom Kalama SUP
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 03:51:09 PM »
Very nice, love the shape of his boards.  How much do you weigh?
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'4" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 112L
L41 SIMSUP S5 - 7'6" x 27 1/2" x 4 3/16" 106L
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'8" x 31"x 4 1/2" 122L - Modded w/ a King's TUT Tuttle box and using a King's foil.
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'10" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 120L
Starboard Whopper - 10' x 34" x 4 1/3" 171L - w/ FCS GL-1 fins

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 06:27:30 PM »
Very nice, love the shape of his boards.  How much do you weigh?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 07:36:28 PM »
https://youtu.be/TpMXjtb8OmQ

Looks like the forum video embedding has changed again--now it works with youtube share.

I suggest you put screws and washers in the first and last holes on your footstrap mounts. I haven't had a problem with my Kalama board, but the five-hole inserts can break away from the deck with foot pressure. I use a thin stainless countersunk washer and flat countersunk screw so it's all flush when I tighten it into the deck pad. Might never be a problem, but it's an easy bit of preventative maintenance to protect a beautiful board.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 07:49:24 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 11:42:20 PM »
yup +1...two hits with the paddle and a "pak!" with the back foot and youre airborne!  :)

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 07:42:09 AM »
I saw this board and rider in action yesterday.  Recognized the board and the rider was wearing an AZ Cardinals tshirt.  Had to be Evan.  Nice to chat with you out there.  Your foiling is getting really good, especially given you started in June and live in AZ!!  Hope my progress can come close to yours and i live locally. 

Look forward to seeing you out there again.

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 02:06:38 PM »
It was really nice meeting you as well. It’s always cool to meet someone from the Zone out in the water. I’m super jealous that you live so close to such a great surf spot. You’ll going to be scary good in no time.

I was telling my wife that Foil surfing has taken all of the guess work out of driving out from AZ. I used to be really picky about coming to CA. If the conditions were t perfect it usually wasn’t worth the 7 hour drive. With foiling as long as the wind is t too strong, you’re bound to have a good time.

I’m finally starting to really feel good on the Kalama. Taking off the footstraps really opened up what I can do on the board.

I saw this board and rider in action yesterday.  Recognized the board and the rider was wearing an AZ Cardinals tshirt.  Had to be Evan.  Nice to chat with you out there.  Your foiling is getting really good, especially given you started in June and live in AZ!!  Hope my progress can come close to yours and i live locally. 

Look forward to seeing you out there again.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 03:18:56 PM »
I love how quick they come up. I've been pounding away trying to downwind with my 280 foil. If I didn't have the Kalama board I'd just flat out fucking give it up. It's stable when I'm standing in crazy confused water just panting and trying to catch my breath, and then when I catch a bump it's up and flying with one quick movement. How long it stays up is the fundamental problem that follows, and that's down to me. But I can get it off the water by thinking about it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal