Stand Up Paddle > Gear Talk

Hippostick or Ke Nalu: who makes better paddles for surfing?

(1/5) > >>

zacksc:
I have been looking at paddles to use for SUP surfing. Two that kind of stand out to me are the Hippostick blur, designed specifically for surfing, and Ke Nalu. Any thoughts on how they compare? Shaft flexibility is important to me to limit shoulder strain. Also, light weight.

APPST_Paddle:
I have both, they are similar in terms of weight. The KeNalu advantage is the modularity of swapping out parts. 

Far as which one is better, it's really hard because paddles are more individualized. I would say in terms of design/build quality/weight they are pretty similar.

Dwight (DW):
take a look at Black Project.

eastbound:
kenalu mana 82 with xtuf shaft (not the "s" shaft, which os stiffer)

just right for me with bad shoulders--only surf tho, so no idea for other use

i occasionally try others, and it reinforces how much i like this exact config

never tried a hippostick, tho

zacksc:
Thanks for the replies.
With the Ke Nalu, if I started out with a length of 78" for the paddle, would I later be able to unglue it and reduce the length to 77.5"?  Is that something you can do? Can you reduce it by small amounts until it feels dialed in and just right? Can you also buy something if you decide you want it longer again?

For the Ke Nalu, if you reduce the length, what are the difficult steps?  Is it difficult to cut it straight? Is it difficult to cut just a small amount, like 1/2"? Is the unglueing or gluing back together tricky? How do you make sure it doesn't leak?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version