Author Topic: Help w 14 foot open water board board  (Read 7351 times)

singingdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Help w 14 foot open water board board
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2018, 04:23:46 AM »
It seems that this question pops up on almost every 14' board choice thread: "Should I trade stability for incremental increases in flatwater speed?" IMHO, no. The worst case scenario is that you get a board that limits the days you can spend on it. Nothing worse than sitting on shore, with a fast board tied to your roof rack, wishing you could go out in dicey conditions.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2018, 06:38:49 AM »
It seems that this question pops up on almost every 14' board choice thread: "Should I trade stability for incremental increases in flatwater speed?" IMHO, no. The worst case scenario is that you get a board that limits the days you can spend on it. Nothing worse than sitting on shore, with a fast board tied to your roof rack, wishing you could go out in dicey conditions.

This was my thought process. I am probably low intermediate; this was my first year of SUP but I have decades of paddle craft experience. I got the chance to spend some money on something for my 60th birthday and when I think about what I really want to do a lot that I can't now, it's paddling out beyond the breakers to fish and/or tour. I want to do some multi day trips. I don't care about racing. I went with the 30" Naish knowing full well it is one of the slower 14' boards out there and that I don't need near that much volume. I will admit the pricing on this board did help sway me. But the thing that kept coming up in my mind is if I go down to the coast 15 times planning to paddle out beyond the breakers with gear, how many times will I end up sound side or scrubbing the trip? Or maybe worse, going on a day when I will have trouble standing.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2018, 01:53:28 PM »
When I talked to Joe Bark about the Big guy Eliminator being 29.5” wide he said “ falling off isn’t exactly fast”, he was correct as I’ve placed in my local races when faster guys are wiping out.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2018, 02:31:24 PM »
When I talked to Joe Bark about the Big guy Eliminator being 29.5” wide he said “ falling off isn’t exactly fast”, he was correct as I’ve placed in my local races when faster guys are wiping out.
My balance is okay, but what it once was; I am turning 60 and the goal is to avoid decline in my balance. Improving it is not realistic. It isn't bad; I will be fine on a stable board. Anyway, someone said pretty much the same thing to me - any board is faster than swimming.  8)
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2018, 01:28:22 PM »
Stable boards are blessings from heaven. Tippy boards are the devil’s response to your vanity.

gcs

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2019, 06:48:04 PM »
Hello all.  Thanks again for the input.  By the time my boards sold all of the on sale Glides were gone.  I ended up getting an Infinity Wide Aquatic Tour 14.  It serves my purposes well.  It is super stable with plenty of glide.  The Good:  I ride it almost every day in whatever conditions I get thrown at me.  Nice construction it looks and feels good and has Innegra throughout rails, nose and tail.  Very nice SIC like handle.  Volume in nose helps in chop.  Great deck pad that goes all way to tail without anything in the way.  Incredible value shipped for approx $1200.  Packing and shipping seamless.  The Bad:  Weighs 32 lbs.  Little nose and tail kick (but glides so well so..)  Stock fin.  After talking to Mr. Allison (wow he is a knowledgeable finnologist!!)  going to get Thresher 9  fin and will be set.  I would prefer a SIC RS14x28 but cannot find one for $1200 shipped lol.  I was so impressed I also got the 10 4 x 32 regular wide aquatic to replace my Yolo original 10'6 - lower volume, so pretty light and strong.  Ditched stock fins for Farberow flex single.  A sweet surf shape.  Also paddles well getting to the more remote surf spot.  Thanks again for the advice. 
Starboard Allstar 2019 14x28
Infinity Wide Aquatic 10 8
Yolo Original 10 6

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2019, 08:26:04 PM »
That’s awesome. Congrats on both. They are such good values in terms of both design and construction quality.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2019, 04:35:03 AM »
gcs, I like that touring board you got. I'm not a racer, so I don't really waste my time with boards that emphasize speed over utility. Racing kind of stresses me out.  I like big touring hulls which let you glide mile after mile...
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2019, 05:42:46 AM »
Since the above posts, I have turned 60 and got the big board on my birthday. I have been out fishing BTB (beyond the breakers) 3 times so far and going again this weekend. The good news is that it's really stable and handles breakers, chop and big swell. Also it was fairly easy to outfit for fishing. The only negatives are the weight (about 32 pounds) and it's a bitch to fight wind. The vast majority of BTB fishermen are kayakers and that's who I go with. Fortunately some of them are not in great shape or are just lazy and I can generally keep up okay but I drop behind if they kick it up a notch. I have fallen in twice over a mile out and practically walked on water getting back on. It was messing with gear and not paying enough attention. The first time was going for a rod I was trolling with when I got a big hit. :)
EDIT - meant to say that only going in twice is not bad considering how they happened; I have been fine paddling and paying attention.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 05:49:20 AM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2019, 06:54:40 AM »
"Tippy boards are the devil’s response to your vanity."

shorter and shorter surf sups are same--gotta be zen about what what's reasonable and what works--vs diminishing returns of exhausting all energy paddling a sinker
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal