Author Topic: 2019 starboard hyper nut 7'10. Any rider input?  (Read 5930 times)

Geoff C

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
2019 starboard hyper nut 7'10. Any rider input?
« on: June 04, 2019, 05:08:15 PM »
Hi all,
 I'm in the market for a new board more dedicated for surf. I've been riding a fanatic all wave 9'2" X31.5" for the past 6 years. Great board but I need something a bit snappier in the waves. I tried a 7'11" x 31" kings today which was fun. conditions were waist high, mushy and a little choppy today. the board was a bit unstable but I managed fine. once on a wave it was fun and very maneuverable. However I noticed the stability was still a bit  iffy. The reasons for this to me are obvious. I did like the board but I have a lot of old war wounds that make stability a factor for me ( broken pelvis, toes, ribs etc etc lol) I am an intermediate/advanced sup surfer 5'7" 165 lbs and just looking for opinions on the hyper nut. I surf cape cod and rhode island mostly. most of our conditions on  average can be mushy , just looking for a board with stability, shorter size and something that is very "skatey" on the waves. Any and all advice is appreciated.
Geoff C
Geoff C.

surfsupla

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 starboard hyper nut 7'10. Any rider input?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 05:58:51 PM »
Ive been on the shorter sup journey the past years. Started with CL used specials. Ended up selling those and replaced with customs that I love. Went from the laird 10'6"x32" surfer, down to a 9'6"x29" focus classic. To a too small kings (multiple) too small infinity, boards that were dawgs etc.. etc.. Long story short my sweet spot I have found is the mid 8' range, between 29"-30.5" wide, from 4"-4.5" (depending on final volume) with enough rocker to keep the nose from getting buried and low enough volume to have the water lap my feet.  Have an 8'10"x30.5" killer assassin that I love. and a 8'3"x29.5" portal phantom that I also love but am still getting to know.

I think that is a huge drop to make in one board but if you are committed it is certainly doable. The first few sessions just might be painful. I have no experience with the hypernut. The sunova Creek certainly does look interesting in that range. Erik from portal is on the east coast and he can custom make anything you want and the phantom really is an amazing board.

Long story short the length and width are not the end all be all. Volume, rocker, rails, tail design, bottom contours all come into play to make the magic board, along with construction. I love me a durable board I do not have to baby. Right now Im on the single concave to double concave at the tail kick. For reference I am 5'9" and about 200 pounds.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 06:20:01 PM »
Geoff, Is that King's for sale at the Pumphouse?
I believe I know the original owner!

Could be the original CB3 Innegra. Still going strong! It responds to changes in fin size for stability..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 07:21:38 PM »
I am 5'7 and 185 lbs and bought the Carbon 7'4x30x106L Hypernut 2-in-1 as my first foil board.  I found that in addition to foiling it, I loved surfing it in anything from 1 foot to head high (though I have had it to up to 1.5 OH) waves and it performs really well in mushy, slopy waves.  Everything you heard about them allowing you to surf a much shorter board and having stability is true.  It allows you to shred small waves that you would be just taking a couple turns on with a bigger board.  The only cautions I would give you is that it does not perform as well in critical waves with its wide nose and tail (which doesn't sound like what you are surfing and it also requires you to get used to later takeoffs with its smaller size. 

My only other 2 cents is that I feel like the Hypernut works best when it is right-sized to its user and wondering if you might be better off looking at the 7'6 Hypernut at 115L so that it might not feel like a small cork and it would be easier to dig the rail?  That said, I like my boards floating at the surface as opposed to on top of the water.  I do recommend you demo one if you have a chance to before you buy so that you make the right decision as it is a unique board.

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 03:47:59 AM »
hey Geoff, I have the 2019 HN 7'10", which i got after my much older 8'0 HN finally got kinda smashed up on a sandbar smack. i really like these HNs. I use them in all conditions, though i'm rarely out in more than OH. i'm 6'3", 200 lbs give or take, and the stability is fantastic...take it out in the choppiest crap imaginable. it took me a few sessions to dial in to the 7'10" as the redesign in 2019 did make it somewhat different than my old 8'0. But the thing surfs so well (for me). I really feel i can snap this thing around. The glide isn't great on these boards, but at these lengths, that's expected. and yeah, later takeoffs, but you get used to that.

After trying and buying so many different boards, I don't even look anymore...i'm set with this one and to me, that says it all. A buddy of mine has the older 7'8" model, loves it, and he is 6'0" 180 lbs.  I liked his 7'8" too, but found the stability a bit more challenging. His board is around 118L, my new one is 130L.  I've owned the Allwave, and these HN boards (for me) are far superior.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 06:58:10 PM »
Hi all,
 I'm in the market for a new board more dedicated for surf. I've been riding a fanatic all wave 9'2" X31.5" for the past 6 years. Great board but I need something a bit snappier in the waves. I tried a 7'11" x 31" kings today which was fun. conditions were waist high, mushy and a little choppy today. the board was a bit unstable but I managed fine. once on a wave it was fun and very maneuverable. However I noticed the stability was still a bit  iffy. The reasons for this to me are obvious. I did like the board but I have a lot of old war wounds that make stability a factor for me ( broken pelvis, toes, ribs etc etc lol) I am an intermediate/advanced sup surfer 5'7" 165 lbs and just looking for opinions on the hyper nut. I surf cape cod and rhode island mostly. most of our conditions on  average can be mushy , just looking for a board with stability, shorter size and something that is very "skatey" on the waves. Any and all advice is appreciated.
Geoff C

you are spot on. I owned the 7'4 and my only regret was i went too low volume. It really delivered what you are looking for.   If you get a deal- its a great board.  At retail  (carbon) its one of the more obnoxiously priced boards out there, I do agree with below that you could prob size down one notch and be fine.  EIther way both models wont feel as 'corky and fat' as the allwave.  The allwave was great years ago.  Its past its prime vs other competitors at the same price point these days IMHO . (I owned a 9'4)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal