Author Topic: Capetown downwinders  (Read 2897 times)

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Capetown downwinders
« on: October 31, 2018, 09:16:00 PM »
Hi, I'll be heading to Capetown for a conference in December and am hoping to get in a run or two. I was wondering if anyone on the zone has contact info for shops which rent boards and run shuttles.  I'll be staying near the convention center.  Thanks!

atlanticsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Capetown downwinders
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 03:41:42 AM »
A couple of options (and you should try both).

On the False Bay side (Millers Point to Fish hoek), there is a Taxi (called the Millers tax run by Vinnie - he takes surfski's and SUP's). He's on facebook and will get you on whattsapp. He run's regulary over summer (3-4 times per day I reackon in Dec). Good option and a great run.

On the Milnerton side (Milnerton to Big Bay in Blouberg), also will be regular runs with Sup Fanatics (Adrian Van Varik run's it) over this period and you can get added to the whattsapp group when you are there.

Re: Downwind board hire- speak to Gary or Ty or Tarryn from Xpressions on the Beach. They will have a lot options on Downwind boards and can also help you on helping you organising.

PM me if you want emails - you'll have fun and a good time to be in Cape Town for downwinds
naish glide (2011) 14', sic bullet 17'4" (currently use), naish maliko 14', coreban dart pro 14' (currently use)

Coreban Longboard style SUP 9'6" custom, Signature 3D custom 7'8

think evo I, Fenn Swordfish S (currently use)

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 12:27:31 PM »
A couple of options (and you should try both).

On the False Bay side (Millers Point to Fish hoek), there is a Taxi (called the Millers tax run by Vinnie - he takes surfski's and SUP's). He's on facebook and will get you on whattsapp. He run's regulary over summer (3-4 times per day I reackon in Dec). Good option and a great run.

On the Milnerton side (Milnerton to Big Bay in Blouberg), also will be regular runs with Sup Fanatics (Adrian Van Varik run's it) over this period and you can get added to the whattsapp group when you are there.

Re: Downwind board hire- speak to Gary or Ty or Tarryn from Xpressions on the Beach. They will have a lot options on Downwind boards and can also help you on helping you organising.

PM me if you want emails - you'll have fun and a good time to be in Cape Town for downwinds

Many thanks. I'll PM you. Can't wait to hit both of those runs! The videos from Capetown were what first got me stoked about the sport.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 12:59:54 PM »
I was in Cape Town last year in early December and managed to do the Milnerton to Blouberg run. Gary van Rooyen at Xpressions set me up with a board and paddle and it was on his trailer when I got to the beach. It's a very impressive group of paddlers they have there and the weekly "race" is well attended with Sup and Ski. It's a world class run and one you will remember if its windy. It's a beach launch and the finish is in a protected area so hope for a small surf day for the launch while on a borrowed board. I would suggest bringing your own leash, wetsuit and maybe impact vest. The run is straight down the beach and easy exits until the finish. I suggest looking at google earth and viewing Blouberg beach to see the finish area. It's a gap in the rocks and then past some heavy kelp to the beach. There is another gap to a beach just before it in front of the tall building you can see from the start. I started to aim for that gap until I realized it was further down. Gary is a wonderful guy and was a tremendous help. The South Africans are awesome folks and have some of the best paddlers in the world. Too bad it's so far away or I'd be going there every year. Good luck, be safe and have lots of fun!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal