Author Topic: On your knees, or on your feet?  (Read 19440 times)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: On your knees, or on your feet?
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2018, 09:01:36 AM »
That video was hard to watch. Them boys need more time in the harbor just learning how to stand on their freakin' boards before trying to head out in what is otherwise relatively easy whitewater to get through.

Surf stance a little heavier on the nose, stick the nose 6" to a foot under the top of the foam in a form of a "duck dive" while standing, and right on through they would have gone....EZ-PZ.  :)

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

sailwave

• HMB - OB surf patrol
  • Waikiki Status
  • HMB - OB surf patrol
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2018, 07:24:46 PM »
Only two ways out in the surf make sense to me, prone or stand up. Knees are only better for a very small range of wave size/shape and the worst probability of injury of the three. Good to get a little shoulder prone paddle cross training anyway.
185 lb, 5' 10"
Starboard 9' Pro  (windsup option)
Mistral Pacifico Wave 11' (windsup option)
Starboard 8'5" Pocket Rocket (windsup option)
Naish Hover Crossover 7'4" (windfoil, wingfoil, SUP foil, SUP)

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2018, 08:21:51 PM »
Yeah there's a reason nobody else is out.  There area about 10 better/easier spots within a couple miles.  Having SUP surfed many days in that area I can say there is definitely enough water moving around to be a pain in the ass, but those guys are awful! 

Fully agree with them having too few liters for their skill level, but more importantly they need to learn to prone paddle.  They are paddling like they are crossing a 6" deep reef - but more likely they just didn't come from a surfing background and never learned to paddle.

ospreysup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2018, 09:24:40 PM »

Clay posted this video a while back. I think he does an excellent job of studying the topic and putting a video together on it. At the 6:05 mark he gives his take on knee paddling. 

Hi!

I have had a flat spell the past few weeks and looking forward to a good swell.  Plenty of time to work on this idea I have been chewing on for a while.

I enjoyed putting this video together and am pleased with the outcome. I hope it is helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeo_SgCWvLI

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2018, 08:45:12 AM »

There's no question that I can't get up quickly enough to be doing anything significant on my knees. Any slower and I'll need a walker railing.

We have a buddy with a really bad knee. He has to get way on the outside before he can stand up. It’s so painful watching him trying to get to his feet I almost have to look away. One of our other buddies pointed out he looks a lot like, and moves a lot like Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler.

Most important is being on your feet going through the whitewater, and not wobbling around when you need to be picking up speed and getting the timing of your paddle strokes right--you have to be reaching over the foam when it hits your feet.
[/quote]

Absolutely.
If I have momentum when I reach the oncoming waves, I step back, plant that last stroke to climb over, and LAND on a forward stroke on the backside to keep going. Just grabbing the water acts as a brace. This is a common move in whitewater paddling coming off a drop.
If after making it over a few waves I’ve lost my momentum for the rest of the incoming waves in the set, I’ll do the same as above except for often times having to land on a low brace leading into a forward stroke because since I’ve lost my momentum I’m being surfed backwards on top off the pile. The low brace stabilizes me until I can go back into my forward stroke.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2018, 08:51:13 AM »
whatever one's thoughts about knee paddling vs prone, it's notable that knee paddling is much quicker than prone paddling----since concept is to get outside quickly
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal