Author Topic: On your knees, or on your feet?  (Read 19441 times)

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
On your knees, or on your feet?
« on: October 26, 2018, 04:55:51 AM »
I’ve been SUP surfing for almost 6 years now. And as I’m sure we all remember, there was quite a bit of animosity for the SUP crowd around then. Having come from a paddling background and not a surfing background, I admit to having had some trepidation the first times I showed up at our local surf break. So I thought (naively and mistakenly, of course) that I might get at least a little respect if I paddled out standing up. We are on stand up paddleboards, right? I figured being on my knees would just make me more of a target for the haters derision. So I’ve always paddled out standing up, no matter the conditions. Now having good paddling skills certainly was an advantage for me. And early on I realized I enjoy the fight out. It helps me get my feet under me and my groove going. On the days when the inside is thumping, I get a very single minded determination about making it out without falling. Oh, and of course the proner crowd doesn’t give a shit either way.

Now I realize that age, physical limitations, balance issues, board size, etc, are all factors that come in to play. But I think we should be upright if possible.  Doing so, in my opinion, forces you to develop the skill set that only makes being on the outside and catching waves that much easier.

I’m not sure it really matters, but for reference, I’m 60, 185 lbs and my main boards are from 7’6” to 9’2”, 26-27.5” wide, all under 100 liters.

So, I’m curious. Laying down, kneeling, or standing, how do you get out?

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: On your knees, or on your feet?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 05:31:07 AM »
Prone or on my feet, just depends on conditions, wave periods, size, etc. Usually a mix of both, I'll prone when I know there's some whitewater that I'll have to stop for and dive under, then hop to my feet to make a last rush over incoming waves, or weight back and pop over. Sometimes I paddle prone just to give my legs some rest.

Never on my knees, it's kinda pointless as I feel more stable standing up, and all it does is create knee dings in your board.

So, yes if you are surfing, never paddle out on your knees IMO.

For reference, I'm 37, 6'0, 170 lbs. and ride between 100-110L for my primary boards, I have a 160L big floaty noserider.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 06:08:16 AM »
I'm 61 and 170lbs.

I can't prone paddle. My shoulders and neck can't take it. I try to stand up as much as possible and only paddle on my knees when I'm exhausted or need to get out of the danger zone in a hurry.

I find it nearly impossible to paddle over the whitewater on my knees. I usually get hit in the stomach and chest pretty hard by it and rarely make it over successfully that way.

Paddling over while standing is easier for me but I often fall. That's why I hate beach breaks. Too much wasted energy trying to get back out. I spend 99% of my time at point or reef breaks where I don't have to deal with much whitewater.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 06:35:02 AM »
We have a big, talented SUP crew on Cape Cod.
The ripper SUPsters frequently kneel down to chill between waves, paddling out or just chatting.

When you're 70 and can't sit on your board (hips won't open wide enough to sit down)
The only rest I get is the occasional knee paddle out.

I do whatever I feel like doing, I am not concerned with what people think.
Why try to fit in a box defined by a label?

I fall over a lot
My friends yell "it's called standup Rick!"  ;D ;D

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 06:48:51 AM »
LOL, Rick.

I find myself more and more kneepaddling on the way out to the point break as
long as there is a clear channel or very small amounts of white water.  Just a warmup
of different muscles - I think kneepaddling uses the stomach more.  If a larger ball
of white water is coming, I usually hop up to my feet to go over it.  As others said,
I find it difficult to go over larger whitewater on my knees without risking getting clobbered
by the front of the board kicking up and/or me ending up tanking into the water - I'm much
better on my feet.   I usually only paddle on my knees for a couple hundred yards or less
as a warmup before I hop up.  Sometimes if I'm caught inside and tired I'll just float a bit
on my knees, but I usually hop up if any sizeable whitewater comes my way.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

supnsurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 08:16:07 AM »
I do what ever gets me out to have fun, depending on the size, I will prone with paddle under chest or on my knees. or whatever it takes. 
Rawson 8'8" Impala

L41 8'8"

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 08:21:00 AM »
I try to stand mostly because it's also my balance training but I love the fight too. I practice it often so despite my shitty balance I'm pretty good at it. To me it's a big part of the enjoyment. That said....it all depends. If I'm a bit tired and there is a lull I'd miss if I didn't motor out on my knees instead of standing....I'm motoring for the shoulder to get outside the next set.....then sucking wind for a minute.

There can actually be some danger in being too good at it....I paddled out almost hair dry in massive Maria waves last fall....into surf that was beyond my abilities and almost killed me..... :o

Not that I care but I think some of the prone surfers around do understand the difficulty and appreciate it...they're happy to see that you can control your board.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 08:23:27 AM »
The only time I knee paddle is just before I stand up or planning on standing up soon. I've surfed my whole life, so prone paddling feels more natural. In big surf, I'll prone paddle if I'm in the impact zone. Plus I'm about 5'5 on my knees, so whats the point. I stand up 90% of the time, but on long lulls between sets, I'll sit and BS with my friends. Specially on my short board. I was out on my short board a few days ago, and had to have a paddle in the water at all times. Constantly bracing right to left. Everyone else is just standing there, with a lot more volume, completely floating on the surface. I ditched my short board and grabbed my 10'r. Ahhhhh. To just stand and not have to continually brace is where I'm at these days  ;D
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 09:17:44 AM »
Sounds like the lead in at a head-banger concert, only backwards. "On your feet or on your knees for Metallica!!"

OK, maybe that just me.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 10:03:07 AM »
I kneel a lot paddling out and don’t really care what other people in the line up think of it. Like Biggreen says, they don’t really give a shit anyway.  I look for calm spots to get up in a creaky old man sort of way.

Badda-boom badda-bing, I’m up.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 11:37:53 AM »
My knees have been reconstructed three times. And the right tibfib broke in five places. Ever see the Joe Theisman vid?

Prone with the paddle at my chest or standing tall and proud!

Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 12:19:38 PM »
On my Rockaway beach break high frequency wind swell, I do a lot of knee paddling if I am in the white water zone. I wait until I see a lull, pop on to my board, and knee paddle like hell. In the time it takes to stand and balance, I feel like I can get in 3 or 4 strokes. Once up, I generally try and get over the waves standing. Although in bigger foam balls, I jump off and grab the handle. I am getting more and more comfortable standing over the foam, and this topic is making me want to stand up more. I don't much like prone paddling, as I was never a surfer, and my board is 32" wide...

ps., I just finished my first year of SUP surfing...

Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 01:26:00 PM »
I'm 61 and 170lbs.

I can't prone paddle. My shoulders and neck can't take it.

I find it nearly impossible to paddle over the whitewater on my knees.

Ditto. Having been a carpenter for 38 years, my shoulders, particularly my right one, are hard pressed to do certain things. Since my right side is my bottom hand for paddling it makes it ok. Just reaching up overhead is painful.

And I’m impressed to see people make it over whitewater on their knees. I can’t develop any power in my stroke that way.

I’m glad to hear pretty much everyone goes out standing. And I get the limitations for those that struggle with it. Stoney, I find it particularly impressive you go out standing, because I well remember your talking of your balance and vertigo issues. But I could see it being a good exercise, and I love that you enjoy the fight out as well!

As for cred from the prone crowd, a buddy of mine was right. He told me showing up and surfing boards I’ve built myself would be what would get me instant cred and some minor respect from the proners....and he was absolutely right. Initially that was what went further than anything in my favor.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 04:57:49 PM »
On my Rockaway beach break high frequency wind swell, I do a lot of knee paddling if I am in the white water zone. I wait until I see a lull, pop on to my board, and knee paddle like hell. In the time it takes to stand and balance, I feel like I can get in 3 or 4 strokes. Once up, I generally try and get over the waves standing. Although in bigger foam balls, I jump off and grab the handle. I am getting more and more comfortable standing over the foam, and this topic is making me want to stand up more. I don't much like prone paddling, as I was never a surfer, and my board is 32" wide...

ps., I just finished my first year of SUP surfing...

Sean, we've got to get you out to the Hudson. Head up my way for some great flatwater.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

supnsurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 05:05:32 PM »
. Ever see the Joe Theisman vid?

Big , I remember that game, still kringe 

« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 05:07:55 PM by supnsurf »
Rawson 8'8" Impala

L41 8'8"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal