Author Topic: The new Portal Phantom  (Read 6248 times)

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
The new Portal Phantom
« on: October 24, 2018, 11:27:40 AM »
Looks like it surfs good.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The new Portal Phantom
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 12:00:04 PM »
It's interesting how less he ripped without the paddle. Looks like a fun shape.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 01:28:47 PM »
Because it is tailored to paddle-enhanced surfing?  As a fan of rounded pins, I am kind of digging the lines, rails and rocker of the board... though it does remind me of a funboard.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 02:32:20 PM »
What caught my eye about this sup, no deck pad. Is it a sup or a prone surf board?

Anyhow, the guy surfs it really well.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 02:44:01 PM »
nice board and vid  ;)

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 02:51:03 PM »
It is a SUP board. Erik was an instructor down in Costa Rica at Blue Zone SUP and ran the podcast Paddlewoo, so he is a dedicated SUP surfer. He did come from prone surfing though.

I actually spoke with Erik about the lack of deck pad on the board that he brought to the the APP Long Island surfing event, and he just doesn't like 'em. He will put them on, if you want. Either a full pad, or a middle pad/stomp pad.

I think Fisher Grant surfed a prototype of the Phantom for the competition. I also saw him prone surfing on it quite nicely after the event...

He recently relocated to Rhode Island, and its really nice to have a local shaper. Hopefully he will have a demo...

–sean
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 02:53:52 PM by supsean »
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 03:03:49 PM »
+1 on not liking a deck pad and the shape of this board.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

supnsurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 03:28:34 PM »
I wonder what the size of that board is ? It would be fun to have a board you could surf and SUP well . 
Rawson 8'8" Impala

L41 8'8"

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 04:32:07 PM »
I wonder what the size of that board is ? It would be fun to have a board you could surf and SUP well .

Interestingly I emailed Erik earlier to find out.  Here is his response:

"I'm riding a 7.7 x 26.5 at 88L and a 7.11 x 27.5 at 100L."

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 06:39:18 PM »
Yeah, it’s a funboard.

It’s a shame that over the last 10-12 years SUP surfing hasn’t developed its own unique style and moves. This guy is an excellent SUP surfer, but what he is doing would be unremarkable by prone surfing standards. Furthermore, we are aping shortboarding, where we’d have inherently more success aping longboarding. Silly, really, IMO, and weakens the USP of SUP.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 07:18:34 PM »
Because it is tailored to paddle-enhanced surfing?  As a fan of rounded pins, I am kind of digging the lines, rails and rocker of the board... though it does remind me of a funboard.
Definitely funboard size. He does better sup surfing because he's got a good paddle anchored cutback--my favorite turn, and the source of every broken shaft I've ever sat on while falling. He turns from the rail and tail. Of course, we're just seeing a sample, but better longboarders turn a lot from the nose and middle of the board and go back to the tail mostly to come off the lip or to stall the board. Shortboarders turn from one place all the time, kind of like what he's doing, parked behind the handle. Nothing wrong with that, but it's kind of limiting. So I sort of agree with what A10 is saying. There isn't a SUP style, except at the outside edge with Zane and his buddies. And that's more shortboard slashing than something we can really claim. As much as I respect everything Kai does, I think his surfing is even a little more shortboard-y and aimed at what a contest judge wants to see than anything with the character that he could undoubtedly bring to the sport. Maybe we'll get there when people calm down a bit about being on boards that sink past their knees when they stop moving.

Those little slope-y mushburgers aren't going to show a lot of drama no matter how he surfs it.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 07:27:14 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 07:23:04 PM »
Funboard nose planshape. Not a needle.
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 12:28:01 PM »
Definitely funboard size. He does better sup surfing because he's got a good paddle anchored cutback--my favorite turn, and the source of every broken shaft I've ever sat on while falling. He turns from the rail and tail. Of course, we're just seeing a sample, but better longboarders turn a lot from the nose and middle of the board and go back to the tail mostly to come off the lip or to stall the board. Shortboarders turn from one place all the time, kind of like what he's doing, parked behind the handle. Nothing wrong with that, but it's kind of limiting. So I sort of agree with what A10 is saying. There isn't a SUP style, except at the outside edge with Zane and his buddies. And that's more shortboard slashing than something we can really claim. As much as I respect everything Kai does, I think his surfing is even a little more shortboard-y and aimed at what a contest judge wants to see than anything with the character that he could undoubtedly bring to the sport. Maybe we'll get there when people calm down a bit about being on boards that sink past their knees when they stop moving.

Those little slope-y mushburgers aren't going to show a lot of drama no matter how he surfs it.

Agree--the paddle driven cutback is one of the most fun things to do on the SUP!  Interestingly, Erik used to live in Nosara and surf low volume boards until he started making his own boards and went up some in volume.  I am actually surprised that everyone initially started to make blown-up shortboards for surf SUPs as opposed to boards shaped more like this one.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 01:25:06 PM by 805StandUp »

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 12:46:19 PM »
Step down rails is the way to go and it wont be long till everyone will be building that way.

BrentP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 04:50:09 PM »
Guys like Dave Daum have been doing step rails for quite awhile with Daniel Hughes boards. I've only tried and angled rail i like the looks of the step. Both Riviera and Infinity used to make a mid length kinda board i think that NUGG was 8' x 28" similar shape you could nose ride it and rip it off the tail fun board!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal