Author Topic: Two Interesting Weight Control Articles  (Read 15721 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Two Interesting Weight Control Articles
« on: October 21, 2018, 07:08:24 AM »
I've been playing at intermittent fasting for some time with modest success, or maybe huge success since I haven't gained any weight despite a somewhat lower level of exercise. But the slow progress caused me to abandon some of the effort--really stupid, I didn't get heavy in a month, it took years. I recently came across two articles in Quartz that have me interested again, in part because they have a bit of useful data behind them, but also because they simply make a lot of sense. I'm going to get serious again.

https://qz.com/1419105/a-diet-guru-explains-why-you-should-eat-dinner-at-2pm/

https://qz.com/quartzy/1428139/a-fasting-experts-tips-for-making-it-to-your-next-meal/
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Two Interesting Weight Control Articles
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 01:06:50 PM »
I read thru the stuff and it is interesting.  But I think one of the major challenges that was not touched on,  is the importance of having a partner that is willing to work with you and is basically on the same page with your goals and objectives. If my wife wasn't also willing to stick with me on our exercise and eating program....I don't think it could happen. We encourage and support each other in our goals.
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 01:34:42 PM »
My wife and I started the Keto diet in late July. In addition, I chose to give intermittent fasting a try and have been doing it for 3 months. I do 18:6 pretty much every day. I have black coffee when I get up but don’t eat my first meal until around 1PM. Dinner by 7 at the latest, no snacks. Two meals a day. It’s much easier than it might sound. Drinking a lot of water helps a lot. I started at 195 back in July and I’m now at 162 and have more energy than I’ve felt in a long time. I also never experience the crash after a meal. I attribute a lot of this to being in ketosis but intermittent fasting has really opened my eyes to how I feel in between meals.

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 04:27:26 PM »
The change in scheduling and routine is what I think would make this extremely tough for me. At 67 I feel pretty set in my routine. For example,  I generally am up at 7:30 and start with several very strong black drip coffee. (maybe 3 cups total in the following hour. Then if hungry I'll have maybe a scrambled egg and toast, or maybe just 1/2 banana with some raisins, costco cashew crunch and almond milk. Within an hour I am ready for a good BM and I count on this. Then I'm ready for either a morning paddle session or a fitness walk. When I get back it's close to lunchtime and I will be hungry.  Lunch is usually either homemade veggie soup or maybe a tuna melt without cheese on rye bread. Lunch is usually about 500 calories and I have green tea afterwards to fill in the spaces. Dinner is most often at 6- 6:30 and it is usually a pretty healthy home cooked meal.....and I should say I am used to a cocktail of grapefruit juice with vodka prior to dinner and at least 2 glasses of red wine after dinner. Both my wife and I have been able to maintain our desired weight for almost 2 years now sticking to this routine. We both lost 30 lbs once we started standup paddling back in 2014 and are just about where we would like to be weight-wise. (I would not mind getting down another 5 lbs.....but I think I would have to give up all alcohol to make it and that is not something we are both willing to give up at this time):.......
Again,  I would have to emphasize that if we didn't share the same goals and habits I don't think we could have done it. 

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 12:03:15 AM »
Try doing intermittent fasting when training for actual performance and you'll realise it's a fools errand real fast. It's well cited now as a means to keep you slimmer but if you want to get the best physically out of yourself I would really not recommend it.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 02:38:43 AM »
Try doing intermittent fasting when training for actual performance and you'll realise it's a fools errand real fast. It's well cited now as a means to keep you slimmer but if you want to get the best physically out of yourself I would really not recommend it.
Is there any good evidence on the relative performance effects of a high carb (and low fat) diet vs a high fat (and low carb) one?

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 02:51:54 AM »
Is there any good evidence on the relative performance effects of a high carb (and low fat) diet vs a high fat (and low carb) one?

If you mean good evidence in terms of peer reviewed quality stuff, not really. The problem is the participants are not always of the relevant type. This being said, it's my weakest knowledge area and one I'm not well read in.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 03:29:15 AM »
go vegan--the weight'll just fall off you
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 07:26:08 AM »
I just took over the kitchen duties. I've been focusing on upping my cooking skills but I need to start putting the control of the meals and what's in the cupboards to good use. I'm enjoying the cooking but need to put more focus on healthy choices. I'm more physically active now and have already started losing weight. I'm just going to make sure what we have available to eat is healthy and lower in calories.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 07:55:34 AM »
UK, how do you suppose carrying an extra 40 pounds affects performance?

Bob, spend a little time looking into low carb/no carb and intermittent fasting, which simply means narrowing the timeframe that you eat within. I'm working on 18/6 which just means no breakfast and eat dinner early. No snacks, none, zero.

I'd wandered away from this and started eating bread and pastries again. My energy level dropped and I was hungry all the time. I didn't gain any weight, but I was visibly less muscular. My Withings scale said my fat percentage was climbing slowly--I'm not sure how much I trust that sensor system but I'm not going to bother with tank weighing when I can just look in a mirror and see my body changing.  Went back to it and my energy level is back, I'm sleeping better, and I'm never hungry. It's very odd.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 08:07:29 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 07:57:41 AM »

Sure, that's not going to help   ;D but then I'd argue that there are alternative methods of weight reduction that are also worth considering. My comment was in reference to those who may be looking to race rather than just to have better health or lifestyle.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 08:10:30 AM »

Sure, that's not going to help   ;D but then I'd argue that there are alternative methods of weight reduction that are also worth considering. My comment was in reference to those who may be looking to race rather than just to have better health or lifestyle.

Yeah, I agree. There are definitely better ways to lose weight and make a lifestyle change than intermittent fasting. It's more a short-term fix, or possibly a solution to fix intestional issues, etc.

I made diet/exercise changes roughly 4 years ago, I was 35 and not really fat, but definitely more skinny-fat. Not exactly tone, basically 6'0, 185-190 lbs and relied on running and kiteboarding for my exercise needs and eating a rather poor diet. Fast forward to today, I'm a much stronger, leaner, 165-170 lbs. and I can surf/paddle/kite far longer and at a better performance rate than before. It's mostly diet and building a strong core/legs. I've gone through cycles of a lot of gym/lifting work, and more mobility/bodyweight exercises (more the latter). You just have to find what works.

I've tried some concepts of intermittent fasting, essentially limiting the hours I ate as discussed. It just simply did not work, my energy level was down, I didn't really see any gains, and it's a pretty horrible way to live day to day (for me). Now, I wake up at roughly 5 am, and eat as soon as I get out of bed (followed by gym/surf/paddling) - 6 days/week (7 if it's surf). For what we do, I just don't see it being viable. If you want to lose 40 lbs, the main thing is to set small, obtainable goals, track your food intake with MyFitnessPal, cook your own meals, use the 1/3 rule (maybe cut carbs to begin with), etc.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 08:12:24 AM »
my enemy is salt, stones

you and wife may have no issues with blood pressure but, whatever the case, the amt of sodium that is routinely added into the american diet seems nuts---and if you even have minor high blood pressure, like i do, youve got to get rid of salt as much as possible

i succumbed to taking BP med finally 18 months ago (losartan potassium 25 mg)--i realized that the only way to reduce salt exposure is to shop and cook for oneself--carefully--and bp meds are a slippery slope--many begin with a starter med like me, think they are then licensed to eat poorly, and then spiral into taking more and more and many differtent BP meds with many crappy side effects--in the hope that my starter dose is my permanent dose, i try to be salt vigilant

example--whole foods "365" house brand canned organic black beans--2 servings per can at 800mg sodium ea=1600mg------whole foods "365" house brand canned organic black beans "NO SALT ADDED"=20mg sodium in entire can

keep in mind i am trying to keep my sodium at or under 1000mg per day

eating out? all bets have to be off--

but yeah, stones, you eat in often, you shop and cook for yourself? all better

basically i started shopping/coooking to avoid salt---then i realized that, since i was now in control, why not go to best quality ingredients? then my daighters convinced me to try vegan, and the rest was history

and keep in mind i cheat---prolly had 10 portions of meat in 18 months---and i do eat good quality wild fish occasionally--minimal to zero dairy! but with anything close to a vegan diet, you will drop weight and find all inflammation you experience is lessened
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 08:54:15 AM »
We rarely eat out and find that when we do we really notice how salty the food is. It may taste good at first,  but not long after eating you really notice the difference and start to crave water!
There is more than enough salt in food without having to add it when cooking. The biggest downfall to trying to cook healthy and eat better is that it is much more expensive. Even doing a successful garden is expensive. (we did have a bumper crop of mini red peppers,  sun gold tomatoes and numerous kinds of potatoes ) I only wish we could grow ground round.....I like my meat and potatoes!!)

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2018, 02:04:21 PM »
I have have been eating like this for almost 10 years.  I absolutely love it.  Depending on my work schedule etc depends on how I eat in terms of schedule.  Sometimes it is 18fast/6eat, sometimes it is 16/8 or even 15/9.  Like I said it all depends.  I have no problem eating like this while training in multiple sports and working, or just working without any sports (Don't like these times).  I eat healthy when I do eat, 80% of the time primal/paleo type. Sometimes I count my calories and sometimes I don't.  When I started it, I was working out 4 days a week and stuck with a limited menu, overseas work.  I only lost maybe 3 lbs over a 2 months.  When I got back to healthier food.  I dropped another 10lbs in the next 2 months. But honestly eating healthier was my goal.  The benefits of insulin the article talks about was enough to make me give it a try.

I have heard people complain about not  being able to get enough food intake during the feeding hours.  I have never found that to be true.  From times of counting calories, I could always  over eat easily if I wanted.

there were times when I worked nightshifts where it was easy for me to have a snack around 9 or 10 and then a big meal around 1-2 am and I was done. EZPZ.

Now depending on your goals and your activity level, will depend on how much you want to eat.  There is a whole workout system around this with a website leangains.com.   Basically there are a bunch of articles there that explain this whole concept of IF and leaning out or bulking up or body recompositioning. 

It is something you have to get used to.  Start by eating your breakfast a hour later each week until you are taking your first meal at noon.  Some people like to have their eating window in the morning, some prefer it at night.  i prefer mine at night.  I don't eat until lunch every day and I have no problem with big workouts in the morning like a couple hours of surfing or 90 minutes of Thai boxing or weightlifting. 

I like it because I dont worry about food in the morning.  I live on carbonated water. I like the carbonation.  But you also dont have to be strict to letter either as I described before.  If I am with friends or  family and there is big delicious breakfast being made, oh hell yeah I am gonna get some of it.  It is no big deal if you don't follow it to the letter, the diet police are not going to come arrest you.   It is just the way I eat now and I dont get grumpy trying to find food in the morning or like I used to be if I did not get breakfast.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal