Author Topic: Frozen foil wing fix - Video  (Read 2389 times)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
Frozen foil wing fix - Video
« on: October 20, 2018, 06:27:06 PM »
I had a carbon wing frozen on an aluminum fuse.  After a week of failed attempts I was bummed it might be stuck on their for good.

After taking a break and spitballing some ideas with a friend I finally got the wing off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYhDdQumWzA

I also thought about a winch or something but was concerned about high speed flying foil parts.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Frozen foil wing fix - Video
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 12:08:14 AM »
Nice video. 
Another idea could be only freezing the aluminum fuselage while leaving the wing at room temp or warmer using a hair dryer on low heat. Sinking the aluminum in crushed dry ice should maximize the temp deferential.

Liquid nitrogen will even get the aluminum colder and srink that aluminum down fast if that's available, but it's very dangerous to handle without training and the right equipment.
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 07:21:56 AM »
Liquid nitrogen would also make the aluminum so brittle that it would shatter if struck, but if you didn't break it, once it warmed again it would be a tiny bit stronger.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 09:04:03 AM »
I've found white vinegar to work really well at dissolving mineral deposits.  I've used it to unfreeze fin bolts/t-nuts in on my windsurf boards.  Just let it soak over night.  I'm not sure if it would work in this case but it's pretty cheap and easy to try and a lot less risky than other methods.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 03:24:43 PM »
Liquid nitrogen would also make the aluminum so brittle that it would shatter if struck, but if you didn't break it, once it warmed again it would be a tiny bit stronger.

Yeah good point, takes some experience to use that stuff safely.

Most of the time i used it, the parts would fall apart under there own weight when you put heat were it needed to go. We also used plastic punches with a hammer if we had to tap things apart.
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 07:13:22 PM »
Oh, and Clay, if you ever have to bang on that thing again put a bolt with a plastic sleeve on it in that fuselage hole (or a few wraps of aluminum tape if you can't find a plastic sleeve) tighten the nut down hard with a flat perpendicular to the shaft, set a dull chisel against the flat and pound away. You could also make a wooden U that fits snugly to the fuselage, slip that on so the force is being applied to the junction instead of to the entire wing. You could screw the U to that table.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 07:56:47 PM »
All great ideas, thanks for sharing.   Last year I didn't even know that the foil parts could get stuck, learned the hard way with a frozen bolt.   Seems like there is little info on this topic, so I welcome all ideas.

Vinegar sounds wonderful, thanks Avery.  If this had not worked I was going to try dissolving the corrosion...

Anyone heard of or have any experience with ACF-50?  Supposedly it will both prevent and "eat" already corroded parts?
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 09:13:01 PM »
ACF 50 is the best fix it elixir on the planet.

“We buy it by the 55 gallon drum said the sea plane pilot “

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,26537.msg274029.html#msg274029

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal