Author Topic: Straps and broken ankle  (Read 4894 times)

IRideYellow

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Straps and broken ankle
« on: October 18, 2018, 07:25:24 PM »
Was talking to Stretch today, who will install strap inserts on a SUP that I'm learning to foil on.  He mentioned kite-surfers usually have both feet in straps to avoid a broken ankle.  At this time I want to only have my front foot in a strap since I'm still a foil newb and don't need another item on the pre-flight checklist

Is breaking an ankle a possibility when foilboarding with only the front foot strapped in? 

Also, anyone carved up a yoga EVA foam block  to duplicate Roberts foot hooks?

Thanks
Starboard WidePoint 8'10, Sunova 8'10 Speeed (Sold), Wardog  7'10 Jammer,  L41 8'8 S3 (sold), Naish Mana 10 (sold), 3 Wavestorm 9'6

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Straps and broken ankle
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 09:40:04 PM »
Years ago I was windsurfing and my back foot came out of it's footstrap just before I crashed. I broke my right foot, 2nd metatarsal in 5 places. I was on crutches for months and it took a year before I could walk without a limp. 20 years later I  still must wear orthotics.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 09:56:41 PM »
I carve up the Manduka Recycled yoga blocks for my foot hooks.  Similar or same density as the NSI foot hooks.

The only thing that scares me more than footstraps is 1 footstrap, seems like a knee would be in jeopardy.   
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 01:16:57 AM »

norcom

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 01:44:58 PM »
I've kite surfed with one strap on my surfboard for a few years because that was my preference. I kept my strap tight enough where I can get just enough foot for some leverage but not enough to jam it in there. Just tighten the strap where only your toes can get in. I always wear booties and they make releasing the foot from straps harder. Broke my left ankle while mountainbiking and wearing SPD shoes, didn't unclip fast enough while riding off a skinny. Got screwed for life.  ;) Swore I'd never ride clipped in again but I missed the efficiency and went back on clippless six months later. Back in the saddle clipped in for over ten years.

It really depends on how much leverage you want. You can get hurt with anything that attaches you to these things but you can also get hurt without the attachment. Start out where you can't get the foot jammed up in the strap or try the hooks (I didn't like them). Ejecting has to be learned into an instinct and not a thought process.

IRideYellow

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 12:53:56 PM »
Using SPDs is a good analogy.  I've MTB for years with SPDs and remember looking like a cat that someone put a harness on when I first start using them..  So I'll go naked then with hooks and finally with straps, if skills warrant.

Thanks all
Starboard WidePoint 8'10, Sunova 8'10 Speeed (Sold), Wardog  7'10 Jammer,  L41 8'8 S3 (sold), Naish Mana 10 (sold), 3 Wavestorm 9'6

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 06:55:39 AM »
Like Norcom says: use straps so just your toes fit in. That way you come out any direction. In any fall.

Never use a strap that your foot fits in past your arch.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 05:16:38 AM »
You guys got me scared now! Just finished putting straps on the new Fugly.  Now I'm not so sure.  Liking the notion that when not putting your foot in past your arch you are less likely to hurt yourself.  Having never used straps I'm not sure.  Just hoping I put the inserts in the right place.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 05:55:49 AM »
I love the yoga block hook idea, thanks Clay. I'm going to add a set to Mr. Fugly. I haven't had too many problems releasing from my front stap only lashup, but it only takes once. I've broken my toes and feet so many times they all sort of run together. Never broken an ankle but I tore a bunch of the tendons up. My feet look like I got a mismatched pair. Windsurfing, motorcycle racing and skateboarding.

I hate to be clipped in to a mountain bike--not that fond of it on road bikes. I use shin-shredders on my MTB, toe clips with loose straps on my road bike and just regular pedals on my electrics instead. Scrapes heal faster than bones.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 10:06:32 AM »
The problem with footstraps is that your foot is shaped like a wedge of cheese and the straps are a simple loop. If you make the straps loose, you still can push your foot in until it's tight. They need to taper the straps so that pushing your foot in doesn't make it too tight. Or better yet, make them like a clog so your foot can only go in so far.

I've seen some kiting straps that are tapered.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 03:32:30 PM »
After Clay's post about carving toe hooks from yoga blocks I happened to be close to NSI this afternoon and dropped in to get some hard foam. And found these. Perfect for Mr. Fugly. They still have the foam ones, but they call these version 2.01. Polycarbonate plastic in a fabric/foam sleeve. Lots of adjustment holes. They're going on to Fugly tonight. Or maybe I'll wait and put them on after we get to Maui.

Lots of ways to attach them. Clever folks these NSI peeps.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 03:42:44 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

IRideYellow

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 04:46:26 PM »
Pono, I looked at that first pic for a bit trying to pic out the yoga blocks while wondering why your Christmas socks were in the pic.  But I finally saw the hooks. 

Looking forward to a report on them.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 05:11:37 PM »
 ;D

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 07:09:41 AM »
Repost of Front Strap only minus the Facebook filter.

I believe foot hooks should ONLY be a short learning tool to get you to Footstraps.  All the top SUP Foilers, and now some prone guys, are using Footstraps.

But I haven't used foot hooks.  Robert Stehlik has gone through that progression and might comment on the benefits of straps vs. foot hooks.

https://youtu.be/00kIKBPNBlA
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 07:12:19 AM by Beasho »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 08:30:31 AM »
You're probably right, but I'm not going to be one of them. I like the way my front footstrap feels, but I'm a clumsy oaf, and I'm likely to go down with my foot trapped sooner or later. Considering the mess I've made out of my feet with 70 years of abuse (yeah, I figure I started fucking them up at age 2) I'm not certain a doctor would know how to put them back together. So yup, going to hooks.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal