Author Topic: RSPro Stripes Rail Savers - Stand Up Paddle Board Protection  (Read 15367 times)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: RSPro Stripes Rail Savers - Stand Up Paddle Board Protection
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2018, 07:23:45 AM »
I am getting a new board and planning to put the tape on before I ever put it on the rack. A group I paddled with over the summer pretty much convinced me. We met at a lake and paddled flat water and a lot of people had very nice racing boards and did do some recreational racing. I never heard any comments about speed, just paddle rash, lousy racks and drops while trying to carry too many things. I am fairly new to this and have lousy racks. This my first expensive board.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2018, 12:33:27 PM »
It protects my board.
I can't tell the deference in speed and also I haven't been winning races  :)

Stokage

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2018, 12:00:18 PM »
I wish I could know if there was an effect on board performance, but I figure after a year of hard use on a board there is always some whack or slight crack in a rail that takes on some water before I realize its there and with the tape if the water doesn't get in the performance will surely be better going forward then. Anyway, I am by no means ripping it up anyway.I am just the scientific type and I  figured some of the guys would have had an opinion if they felt a difference.

And SURFERCOOK, the video of you all suited up in seemingly cold cold conditions(brutal for most especially myself) for me just sums up how much we love this that we will put ourselves through all that for a wave. Thanks for that. Really says it all. Next time I find myself trying to explain my addiction to someone who doesn't get it, I will show your video. 

ospreysup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2018, 07:57:59 PM »
I will probably get criticized for this and I am by no means an expert but one of the added benefits I enjoy from the RS Pro is a real time check on my paddle efficiency. I know if my handle is is scraping the tape (you can hear it) my paddle is deep enough and that I am pulling along the board. If my paddle blade scrapes the tape I am not deep enough. I can also check that I am getting the paddle efficiently out of the water and before I get past my feet by following the sound. I don't intentionally scrape my board with the shaft of the handle nor do I do it on every stroke but I will when I just want to check in with my stroke or in windier conditions when paddle efficiency matters getting into a wave and I want to get this must bang per stroke. The tape also really helped in learning the J stroke.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2018, 08:10:38 PM »
Why would anyone criticize that? I do it all the time. I sound like a kid with corduroy pants.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2018, 03:39:25 AM »
Same here.   8)
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2018, 10:50:48 AM »
ZIP ZIP ZIP--sound of paddling in, esp if balance is as mine typically is........
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2018, 10:50:56 AM »
Z
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 10:56:42 AM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2018, 09:25:32 AM »
Al the comments about temps have me worried about getting it right, but I want to do it in the next few days as I will put the new board on the racks on Friday and use it both days this weekend. Board is under the house and it is 54 degrees (I put my digital meat thermometer probe against the hull until it stabilized). That's the nose which is at the crawlspace door. It might be 4 or 5 degrees warmer at the tail, but I am not counting on it. I have two options for where to apply it. One is the garage where I probably couldn't heat to more than 60. The other is inside at around 70, but I would need to bring it in, apply it and take it back out pretty quickly as the only place I can bring a 14' board in is the entry hall. The tape is inside at 70, of course. I can set it near a space heater and get it to around 80 for a little while if that helps. The tape is 83" or roughly 7' and the board is 14', so the rail is a little more than that. So, what 3' from the nose? I guess I will hop on and reach with the paddle and put it slightly back of that? I don't think I am going to hit the side until I pull the paddle back at least a little.

Thoughts? Suggestions about where to put it on (garage, which I can get to about 60 but have it there for a while or house at about 70 where it needs to be a quick in and out) and how far back from the nose would be appreciated.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2018, 07:05:23 PM »
Decision got way easier after some more measuring and figuring out who will be out of the house when. It can be brought down the hall into the kitchen and set on the table moved out in the middle of the room and sit there a while before being done. I have a set of the foam blocks for hauling a light kayak roof top without a rack that I can set at each end of the 6' (I think) very sturdy table so it will be supported well. Probably crank the heat up a little also.

Watched the videos at the start of this thread and will use the suggested placement and dry method.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2018, 07:41:40 PM »
Good luck, Glide. MAY THE TAPE BE WITH YOU.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2018, 08:16:16 PM »
Thanks. It seems like everyone agrees it's a good idea to have it but no one pretends it's all that easy to get it right.  A couple of my young adult kids will be around that are better at this sort of stuff and will help. It's my birthday tomorrow (about an hour), so it seems more than reasonable to ask. That's actually what the new board is for - I wanted it for my 60th birthday because of the statement that makes. I still want outdoor recreational toys that require a little bit of athleticism.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2018, 04:23:04 AM »
You might try heating the tape in some warm water first. Then wipe it dry just before applying it. I read that somewhere and thought it might be worth trying on my next board.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2018, 06:55:35 AM »
That's an interesting idea. The thing I keep coming back to in my mind is why it makes all that much difference about the tape temperature. I get how it would if you just pulled it out out the freezer and the temperature was dramatically different. But watching that first video, where he lays it out, rolls it backwards to get it to lay straighter, lays it out again, then measures and finally starts peeling an applying but not too quickly, I can't help but think that the thin ribbon of tape and paper has got to be pretty darn close to room temperature when it is applied.

The board is inside and the heat is at 75. It will sit for at least a couple of hours before the tape is put on.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

supthecreek

« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2018, 08:12:25 AM »
I live in New England, so in winter, when When I apply any tape to a board,
I always bring them in for a few days to let the inside of the board get to room temperature.

Then, I leave them inside for 24 hours to completely cure for proper adhesion.

This video shows my super simple, foolproof method.

The video application takes longer, because I want it to be easily understood..

If not making a video, it takes me 2 minutes per rail.
There are never ANY bubbles or kinks.

The key is to relax and let the tape fall naturally
and position the tape with only one finger pressing down on the middle of the tape. (vid shows how)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal