Author Topic: RSPro Stripes Rail Savers - Stand Up Paddle Board Protection  (Read 15240 times)

Stew

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: RSPro Stripes Rail Savers - Stand Up Paddle Board Protection
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2018, 12:05:09 AM »
I wish that there was a coloured tape that I could get that could be used full length.

I have some paint chips on my board and the easiest solution would be a tape band along the whole border, covering the current dings and stopping any others.

I don't see why it was only suggested to use rail tape on the front section!

The front section is where you're supposed to be doing the paddling, and the notion is that the tape protects against paddle hits. But yeah. that kind of ignores reality and doesn't do much for the kind of dings that are most common--loading and unloading. RSPro does a great job of protecting against dropping your board on it's rail. I did the same thing Eastbound did. A bit expensive--about $100, but worth it when your board cost you four grand, which is kind of the going price for custom SIC.

If your board isn't a 14' or greater than 1 1/2 pieces of RSPro will do the full rail on both sides. I like to match or contrast the color. I have a black and red RSPro strip on my 17 V2 and it looks gorgeous. And yes, it's covering three rail dings that were painful to look at.

Yeah, I know i was intended for stopping paddle strikes but the amount of other things that can cause dings is bonkers - for that bit of extra cost I would have just done the lot. Now I have to take off and redo so not a cheap option.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2018, 07:19:46 AM »
Take it off carefully and you can reuse it. I have one set of RSPro that's been on three different boards. The last time I did that it pulled a chip off on one side. I laid the tape out on a table with weights sitting on wax paper and worked the chip off with a knife.

You might also be able to just join up another piece without taking off the tape you already have. Just raise the end and cut it off, do a matching cut on the second piece and lay it down. The adhesive recovers it's grip if you haven't totally gummed it up with oily fingerprints.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2018, 07:45:55 AM »
I use the wet method. I use a warm room, a drop (and I mean a drop) of washing up liquid in a bucket of hot water and I then dowse the boards in water too. I then unpeel the RSPro from its backing paper and continually dunk it in a bucket of warm water. It's so wet, it won't stick to itself. I then position it, squeegee it out using an old credit card or equivalent to remove the bubbles and may may adjustments on its position. Everything is so wet, you can do this for some time. Once I'm finally happy on position and got all of the bubbles out, I'll then lightly heat it using a hair dryer to help evaporate any remaining water and to reactivate the adhesive and then job done !

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2018, 07:58:36 AM »
Same than I use. I have done five or six boards so far without any problem.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2018, 01:10:34 PM »
Lotta rail saver tape stoke here! I love it! Sooooo....I finally did the application and it went really well. Warmed my living room to 70F and let the board and tape acclimate a bit. Also unfurled the tape and kinda dragged it over the kitchen counter edge to reverse the coil. Then laid it out flat for a coupla hrs to ease the tension on said coil. Went w/the suggestion to start at the middle and work forward to the nose and then backwards to the tail w/branding in rear. Dry application so a coupla minor tiny bubbles that my ocd quickly dismissed after about 15 mins.
  I hafta say I'm very stoked w/this stuff. I paddled the board out after it set for a few hrs in the heated room and it held real well. Especially considering that it's pretty chilly here now in NJ. Air was about 45F w/a strong offshore wind dishin' out some chills, water about 60F. I've a feeling the RSP tape is gonna hold throughout the winter here which will get REALLY REALLY cold.
Here da pics. Waves were bonkers for my first official RSP sesh!

20181029_121520 by surfercook, on Flickr

20181029_121535 by surfercook, on Flickr

vlcsnap-2018-10-29-15h59m21s151 (2) by surfercook, on Flickr

vlcsnap-2018-10-29-15h35m15s728 (2) by surfercook, on Flickr

vlcsnap-2018-10-29-15h54m45s279 (2) by surfercook, on Flickr
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 01:14:21 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2018, 02:43:51 PM »
Good job.

Winter won’t bother the tape. I’ve left mine in snow, no problem at all. The tape will probably outlast your board. Maybe even the next one you transfer it to. It’s expensive (after all, it is from Europe, and virtually everything here is expensive compared to the US). But it really is very good indeed.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2018, 02:50:22 PM »

One thing I like about the dry method is that it's easier to make the tape conform to the curve of the rocker. With the wet method, the tape just wants to stay straight.

Yes, my experience too.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2018, 04:27:36 PM »
Done wet done dry. My experiences have led to me always using the wet method.

Never had issues following the rocker line when damp with drop of soap. More problems with dry.

Back of the envelope seems to be fifty fifty. Try and see what works for you!

YMMV!

Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2018, 11:53:55 AM »
I've a feeling the RSP tape is gonna hold throughout the winter here which will get REALLY REALLY cold.

Hold through the winter??  You should include your RSPro tape in your will. It will outlast you. I have some that's almost as old as my underwear.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2018, 12:39:30 PM »
Dont' forget SC, the application of RS Pro on the rails voids the nose-repair warranty. ;D

But seriously, the tape job looks great, stoked you are getting more miles from the old girl!

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2018, 08:27:49 AM »
Dont' forget SC, the application of RS Pro on the rails voids the nose-repair warranty. ;D
lmao!  ;D

But seriously, the tape job looks great, stoked you are getting more miles from the old girl!
She's goin' strong. Couple got away from her though...probably due to pilot error though.  :P

https://app.soloshot.com/video/f1733a82-bea3-450b-b76c-47cca23d878d

« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 09:08:15 AM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

Stokage

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2018, 04:54:54 PM »
I see all you guys with a lot of SUP surf experience pumped up about the tape. I just put RSP on my new L41 7-8 ST. Came out great. did the soapy water way.
My question is has anyone seen any difference in surf performance? I don't trust myself to know one way or the other as all that stuff gets into your head.
Any thoughts on that?

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2018, 07:22:30 PM »
Hold through the winter??  You should include your RSPro tape in your will. It will outlast you. I have some that's almost as old as my underwear.

lol...Ponowear

Has anyone seen any difference in surf performance? I don't trust myself to know one way or the other as all that stuff gets into your head.
Any thoughts on that?

I don't notice a difference. But one of my surfing buddies says he doesn't ever put it on any of his sups. Thinks it'll slow the board down. I argued the merits of it for protection but he wasn't sold.

Here's the board in action w/taped up.
https://youtu.be/w2Lzfk0Io8w?t=257

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2018, 05:55:01 AM »
RSP claims that the rough sharkskinlike surface on the tape actually makes the board go faster.   8)

I'd be willing to bet that if you covered the entire board with RSP, it would not slow the board down at all.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 05:58:25 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2018, 06:28:12 AM »
cookie--tomorrow nj looks like it could be world class--today the nj cams looks like frothing boiling deathwater--i assume you will be milking it tomorrow
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal