Author Topic: RSPro Stripes Rail Savers - Stand Up Paddle Board Protection  (Read 15358 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: RSPro Stripes Rail Savers - Stand Up Paddle Board Protection
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2018, 02:58:06 PM »
I like the looks of the black tape on Ricks board. Even if there were air bubbles, most of them would not be visible.

With clear, there will almost always be visible air bubbles which can sometimes be difficult to get rid of. Not the kind of bubbles that form a mound. Those are easy to remove, usually by just pushing them to the edge. The tough ones are perfectly flat with a micro thin layer of air under the tape that you can see through the tape but not feel. These require a lot of rubbing with your hands and/or with something smooth like a Bic lighter. With the solid colors, you wouldn't even know they were there.

I've put clear RSP on probably six boards now. I've tried both the wet and dry methods. None of them went on as easy as what Rick just showed. There is always a lot of finish work to be done after laying down the clear tape to make it perfectly clear and bubble free. I would be willing to bet that there is air under his tape. You just can't see it because of the solid color. I think that's what I'm going to use from now on.

The clear Hex A Traction looked good. I've never used that.

One word of warning when taping the Sunova boards. Be extremely careful if you decide to remove the tape. The letters on the rail are decals and they can easily come off with the tape which happened to me. Heating the tape with a hair dryer might help loosen the adhesion.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 03:17:23 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2018, 08:29:45 PM »
Actually, heating makes the adhesive aggressive.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2018, 05:24:10 AM »
so how best to peel rsp, pb?

since youre a chronic re-user.....

ive ripped a lot of factory paint peeling back for repair, etc
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT