Author Topic: Setups: Hydrofoil behind the boat: 2nd-3rd-4th wake back  (Read 11191 times)

surf4soul

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Setups: Hydrofoil behind the boat: 2nd-3rd-4th wake back
« on: October 16, 2018, 01:48:39 PM »
Any other hydrofoilers out there playing past the first wake? What is your favorite speed, ballast, wedge configuration? What is your favorite foil?
So far we have tried 6 different wings behind the boat. For the first wake we like the Slingshot H2 wing, for 2nd wake++ we like the lift 200.
Boat speed 12.2mph, surf gate deployed, wedge down, balast even and full (750's rear, 500 center, 500 front). Axis A24 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5UYmA1AVuc

we are playing with different boat/board/foil wing setups. I have been trying to foil the 2nd and 3rd wake back and still don't feel like i have found the optimal setup.

Wings tried:
Liquid force Impulse (same as Cloud IX S24 or Thewakefoil AK) 24" mast. This is the wing used on the embedded video above
Liquid force Rocket (same as thewakefoil V1) 24" & 36" mast
Neil Pryde Glide Surf L and M 28" mast
Slingshot H2 24" & 28" mast
Slingshot H4 24" & 28" mast
Lift 200 28" mast
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 01:59:50 PM by surf4soul »

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Re: Setups: Hydrofoil behind the boat: 2nd-3rd-4th wake back
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 08:07:59 PM »
That's some beautifully done wake foiling! and that wave the boat is producing is amazing! Nice floater/roof ride you pulled off too.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 09:05:10 AM »
Looking good!

Have you seen this:

https://youtu.be/wT8upKMwRFI
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Slappysan

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 06:56:03 PM »
What are your thoughts on the NP Glide L and M foils? Very interested in reviews in them.

Slappysan

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 10:52:36 AM »
I've tried foiling the LF Rocket Foil behind the boat but I found that because you can't really pump it you can't control your speed and end up running too far forwards then sink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTkGJDuYx0Y

surf4soul

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 12:41:09 PM »
What are your thoughts on the NP Glide L and M foils? Very interested in reviews in them.
We started with their Large wing and it was massive at over 1600 cmSq, i had a hard time with it both behind the boat and in the ocean. 
Here are a few waves on the Large NP I stole from the surfcam at Sano.

The medium wing worked great at 1225 cmSq. They have a lightweight cost effective and well designed solution. You can adjust the back wing which has been a fun thing for us to tweak. Dollar for dollar the best setup in my opinion. Super high quality with a price point under 900 for a full setup. They very similar to gofoil

I've tried foiling the LF Rocket Foil behind the boat
LF Rocket Foil: Without a doubt the hardest foil we have tried behind the boat. We had the same issue as you did, just couldn't keep the foil flying. Hope you can try again with a more suitable wing.

Looking good!Have you seen this:

https://youtu.be/wT8upKMwRFI

Yes love this video. Goals!

Slappysan

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 05:03:50 PM »
Thanks for the info on the Glide. I'm thinking about getting the L and adding the S wing. L for tiny bumps and dock pumping (and heavy weight friends) and S for faster waves and kitesurfing (I'm 165 lbs).

I love that foam ball you caught at 0:15 and then easily made it back to the critical section.

surf4soul

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 10:25:28 AM »
The great thing about the NP Large kit is it comes with a small and a large rear wing so you will be ready for your Small wing. I still think you will probably want to add a Medium to your quiver. I'm 240lb and still found the Large to be a beast. The Medium is about the same size as the Lift 200 Glide.

I am still stuck on my twintip kiting, but I think it's time to try a foil out there. How do you like it?

surf4soul

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 11:05:24 PM »
Flashing back to this post a year later. Have learned so much about boat setup, ballast, board and wing combination. Turning the wake down and creating a longer rolling wave that barely breaks works much better for first wake. Behind the boat my favorite wing to date is the Lift200 and in the ocean it's an Axis 92 or Signature series setup.

With ballast I only fill the rear lockers to 30% of each 750lb bag. Middle i fill all the way at 500lb and front also full at 500lb.
I do not drop the surf wedge so it keeps the waves from breaking and lengthens it.

Here is the fruit of the changes to contrast to the same boat and rider from 1 year back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTrhIyaa_wU

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 07:52:49 AM »
Killing it!  that set up looks sweet.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal