Author Topic: As SUP wave riders are we scared of "regular" surfers?  (Read 4261 times)

SUPuFaka

• Waikiki Status
  • It is what it is.
    • View Profile
As SUP wave riders are we scared of "regular" surfers?
« on: October 16, 2018, 10:54:39 AM »
it seems some are always trying to prove something to surfers....i see more and more people trying to be progressive and aggressive but still i see those same people barking and arguing with surfers in the line up. ..

Me I pay them NO attention at all.  and surf for me and no one else.........

Will we always be in the shadow of other craft in the line up ??
C4 Waterman- raimanas world 9'8 - malolo 14- subvector 9'6

devon_sup_surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: As SUP wave riders are we scared of "regular" surfers?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 12:51:32 PM »
I'm a little scared of hitting them I suppose.

my board is twice the mass and size of any of theirs. it's also much longer and the leash is hugely long too.

And ultimately I'm less maneuverable that a surfer.

I think if you're someone who likes or needs attention then you will want it from other water users, regardless of your craft. If you're not- then you don't care what others think.

I must admit though- throwing a big sup around as if it's a short board probably gets some attention and must feel nice. I wouldn't know of course!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 01:49:04 PM »
I just go surf....do what common courtesy tells me. I'm only amongst others if I know I'm in control so I don't worry about hitting anyone. I did almost have a collision when dropped in on last week but that's not on me. Take your turn like anyone else, show respect, but take no shit.

Shadow?
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 01:55:52 PM »
Yeah, I mean everyone is surfing, as long as you follow the rules, there shouldn't be a problem.

Now with that said - you have to have some common sense/courtesy. You are on a SUP that can catch way more waves than a typical surfer, it's a great advantage, but.................you can also become a giant a$$hole and ruin everyone's time if you decide to pick off every set wave and paddle after every wave possible.

Be polite, give up more than your share of waves (you will still catch more than prone surfers), and be cogniant of the size/power/mass of your board when paddling.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 02:25:30 PM »
Anyone that is paddling for every set wave is an asshole. I'm kind of tired of hearing that WE can become giant assholes.....it's not the board it's the surfer. I always wait my turn but when it comes I take it. I don't take more waves than other surfers but I'm not giving up a wave that is reasonably and rightfully mine just because I'm on a SUP. Why should there be expectation that I should give up more than my share?
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 02:32:05 PM »
So I guess when I got to my local today, site of the recent Quick Pro, with the spot  big and walling up doing a slightly overhead and thick closeout/almost makeble tube with 70+ frothers shoulder to shoulder, was the moment to be scared. Not one standie in the lineup.

This spot is a close in break but it’s big outside brother was just starting to show at the back corner and had a huge current running through it holding off any takers.

A patient upwind and upcurrent paddle slog along the hundred meter line up finally brought me to the foam field marking the last set. Finally a wave arrived with no one near or directly inside of me, walhala. To be clear, I was now further up the beach, not further outside the pack.

So what, I've got a paddle in my hands. Just catch it clean and surf it. I was able to connect through to the inside and actually back doored into the inside break.

That last commitment on the inside meant a walk back up the beach for the long paddle back past everyone again, and you know what?  Nobody bit or barked.
After five more like that and the outside corner finally starting to fill in I called it a day.

Got home and told my wife I just had one of the best surfs of my life.
“You always say that” is what I heard behind me as I went off the hot shower.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 04:40:49 PM »
For the past year or so the vibe has been pretty good. I think SUP numbers are down and foil number are up. Some SUPer's have gone back to prone as well. Everyone is mixing it up. I don't feel the tension like I used to. The parking at SanO is mixed now to because the Dog Patch parking is gone. So ended the parking segregation.  Anyone that knows me knows I'm a friendly guy, just don't get on my bad side. I can get pissed and block someone all day if they get me going. Most of the old timers know me because I grew up right where I surf. My older and younger brothers used to surf locally and a lot of people know them. I almost always know someone if not a bunch of people at local breaks. I rarely surf beyond my local breaks. If I do, it's usually with someone who has local knowledge. I respect the locals at their breaks no matter what they surf. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 05:33:52 PM »
SUP numbers are way down where I surf. A few years ago you could look a mile down the beach and see dozens of stand ups. Now you might see six or eight on a typical day. I know a few who have gone back to prone. I think many gave it up once the newness of the sport wore off.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 07:55:59 PM »
To the topic question:
NO. It never occurs to me that any surfer deserves to surf better waves than me.
I surf as I always have, looking for the best waves, at the best breaks.

At home it is easy.... we all get along really well, and have a lot of very good SUP surfers in our ranks.
It is very usual to have more SUPs in the line-up than surfers.

I also travel quite a bit to surf.
Mostly I go to good breaks, surfed by proners.
Up and down the East Coast and to Thailand this year, plus a lot of New England spots closer to home.

The only concession I make is, I respect certain breaks...
I won't surf them because I know just a few SUPs would ruin them.

Having spent my life traveling to new breaks, I am used to blending into a line-up..... even at well known spots.
That is why I almost always go alone... it's easier to fit in.
I prefer points, not hollow tubes favored by the "A" team surfers.

I move around a line-up a lot, so I am not always surfing the same takeoff spot.

My usual MO is to sit way outside and chase the biggest sets, that everyone will miss anyway.
I am very comfortable weaving though surfers scrambling for the shoulder.
After a good set... I'll sit inside of them and nab off the one's they miss.... then move to a new peak.

Getting along in a line-up isn't difficult, if you surf a break... and crowd, that matches your ability.

You have to earn respect in every line-up.
Obey the rules....
"etiquette" is a fantasy that I have never witnessed in a line-up anywhere.... there are rules.
Surfers will give a bunch of sh*t to anyone who breaks the rules.... it's how the rules are enforce.

Note: following the rules won't get you any waves, it will simply keep you out of trouble.
You have to earn your waves.... no one is going to give you one, simply because you have waited for "your turn"

The best surfers will always get the best waves.
Don't get in their way, if you want to get along.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 08:04:06 PM »
You might get more waves than the mediocre longboarders. but the good ones get their waves. The shortboarders, not so much unless the waves are right for them. I'm not too concerned about other surfers, I do my best to stay away from them. I'm not fond of longboarders who move into the middle of the takeoff and sit there chatting and act like you're a maniac if you blow through the middle of them. That's my current bitch list, but other than that, who cares. I'm going foiling. Piss off everyone.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 07:02:18 AM »
I thought I was a regular surfer. I started surfing in the mid 60's.

My regular surfing thru out the years included
body surfing
boogie boarding
long boarding
short boarding
back to long boarding
and still long boarding a 10' sup board

Since I have been surfing so long I have a pretty good cutback.
I also like all surfers. Even buttheads.
why would anyone be scared? Its not like surfers
are boogie men.
Learn to surf by rules of line up and that should take
care of most issues if you know how to surf and ride
a wave to its end.

If not stay off the crowded good breaks. Learn at the lesser spots.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 07:28:49 AM »
The first thing a person should learn is how to pull out of a wave. Until then, stay away from everybody.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 09:26:37 AM »
Being scared is on odd question to pose.   In general I have less problem with surfers than SUP surfers.  I generally hang out on the shoulder a bit more than the surfers so not too close to them.  Sometimes they are not too friendly to the good morning or hello,  but then again I'm not the most social one out there.  You need to prove yourself to get any respect.  If you ride a great wave and get hoots from the surfers you know they understand that you are surfing just like them,  not some guy paddling a canoe in the waves.

As far as SUP surfers go,  the only real problem I have is some people always just seem to be in the wrong spot.  (compared to what I'm trying to do)  When it's a total novice SUP surfer,   I pretty much ignore them after they have missed a couple waves. 

At the spots I surf in Cape Cod and Rhode Island,  It seems like everyone gets along pretty well.   The internet would lead one to believe that there is more trouble out there than there really is.

JP

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 07:30:04 PM »
I think we're fortunate here in NE. More breaks than surfers, more spread out, less competition.
Bob

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 07:59:24 PM »
I have been a prone surfer for >40 years (a kitesurfer for >15 years) and a SUP surfer for >3 years. As a novice SUP surfer, I do try to stay away from surfers especially those I know, because I think they will not appreciate me, I don't want to compete with them and I don't want to have to worry about killing them.
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal