Author Topic: 2018 Infinity Whiplash 14*25 dugout.  (Read 4564 times)

SupSimcoe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SimcoeSup
    • Email
2018 Infinity Whiplash 14*25 dugout.
« on: October 15, 2018, 02:32:34 PM »
I was not intending to get a new board but my wife was testing the Whiplash dugout that the rep had so she could tell if she wanted the flatdeck version and I spent a lot of time also testing the board.

The first impression was it is nice and quiet on the water, compared to my JL Rail and the Blackfish we also borrowed. The board is also very stable and as you move back the stability only seems to increase. the secondary stability seems endless but the water is too cold to find the limits comfortably so perhaps next year.

Pivot Turns are insanely fast as I can usually do a full turn in 2 strokes as long as the wind is not pushing from the side too much. It is almost too fast as I often find myself having to run forwards to get the turn to stop before I've gone to far.

Speed upwind or no wind- in the flat this is not as fast as my 23 inch wide wood board but it is still about .5-.7mph  faster than my Rail. As the chop increases this board excels as it cuts though with ease and does not slap or ride up the waves as the flatter and wider nose boards do. Again it is faster than my Rail or the other boards I have tried by a small margin in this case. As the chop turns to waves this board is amazing. It just punches through anything with ease.

Speed downwind- I was surprised on how quick this board is when going with the wind and bumps. In 6-10 in chop the catches, punches through the next wave and links another with ease. I found myself at 7-9mph several times in conditions that other boards I've had are only doing 6mph.  As the bumps increase to real downwind again the board is great. The front may pearl but is is a soft entry and is quick to recover. If the pearl is not square the board is stable and does not pitch you off very easily. If you are fast moving back and forth is is almost as good as a true downwind boards in all but the worst lake conditions. One other way to describe this board is stable, predictable and it seems to slow down time. The board give you time to recover and react so there is nothing hitting you out of the blue.

Multifin- I tried the board with the Infinity Angry 4 fins and I love the ventral for going slightly off center or directly to the side in large waves and wind. Without the ventra; the large sides of the dugout can easily be pushed off course but with the ventral this is kept in check. You do have to change sides as I find the paddle torque  affects my course more than without it.
I found that the 3 fins in the rear did not do much for speed but was very stable. I will do more testing with this in the next few months before the water freezes.

Drafting the board- My wife has the flatdeck and there is not much to draft. A proper trim and it seems most of the wake is muted and is more like my Rail which is a pintail. It may be one if the hardest to draft and I will let you know if the multi fin actually affects this when I put the fins on my wife's board.

Overall I love this board and the only reason I got it is I like speed and especially stability when the water and conditions are getting colder.
SUP Lake Simcoe
Clearwood VLZ 14*23 hollow wood- self-built
Starboard 2021 Sprint 14*19.75
Kenalu Mana 82
Quickblade UV 82 Carbon
SUP Reviews  http://simcoesup.blogspot.ca/

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2018 Infinity Whiplash 14*25 dugout.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 04:08:45 PM »
Great review Simcoe. I had the same board earlier this summer and echo everything you said. I was not a fan of dugouts a couple of years ago but they have grown on me. The 14x25 Whiplash that I owned was so stable that I knew I could go narrower without sacrificing much in the stability department. Despite being marketed as a flat-water board, it really can handle much more than that and definitely catches some bumps with ease.

I recently got a custom 2019 Whiplash dugout, 14x23.5 and it's amazingly stable. Infinity will only be offering a dugout version in their 2019 production lineup and I think you will see more of their team riders using this board in various conditions. There are some subtle changes to the 2019 version that enhance an already rock-solid design. I hope to put together a more in-depth review with pictures and video in the next couple of months.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal