Author Topic: Advice about Peru  (Read 2754 times)

NEsurfSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Advice about Peru
« on: October 15, 2018, 01:31:06 PM »
Hello fellow zoners. 
I will be heading to Peru for work in a little under a month.  I will be in the Lima area for a week working, but am thinking of taking my two piece Creek and spending up to a week elsewhere in Peru afterwards.  I have only surfed one day in the North (Los Organos, near Mancora), and one day in Lima (Miraflores).   I know Peru is considered the "land of left handers", but I was told that they are predominantly north of Lima, and that there are a number of good right handers to the South of Lima.

Does anyone have some advice in this regard?  Where might there be some SUP-friendly right handers that I could get to from Lima?  Also, any advice on a place to stay.....etc?

Thanks in advance
One piece "electric" Creek 9'4"
Two piece Sunova Creek 9'4"
CoreVac Cannibal Blade 8'8
Angulo surfa 9'8
Naish Mana 10'
Red Sport 11'
2014 Naish Glide 14'
Werner nitro
Black project three part paddle

NEsurfSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Advice about Peru
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 09:00:38 AM »
I have done a little more research, and am bumping this post up with a little more specific question.
Has anyone surfed (SUP or prone) in the Punta Hermosa area about 1.5 hours South of Lima?  If so, how was it, and did you stay at one of the "surf camps"?  If so, any recommendations?

Thanks
Angulo surfa 9'8
Naish Mana 10'
Red Sport 11'
2014 Naish Glide 14'
Werner nitro

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 11:41:34 AM »
Not that this helps, but you got me looking along the coast in that area just to see what it's like. It looks pretty nice and clean, city wise.  Barranquito in the Barranco District I think?
https://magicseaweed.com/Barranquito-Surf-Report/2268/

My cousin lives in a beach town just north of Santiago, Chile. He's not a surfer but he tells me there's surf there if we ever come visit him. I checked out the beaches near his house as well. Tall steel fencing around everything with police cars parked in most of the beach parking lots. It doesn't look like the safest place in general, but the beaches did look clean.   

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 11:52:02 AM »
Looks like this is the spot in Miraflores..
It's not overhead to me!

NEsurfSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 02:55:57 PM »
Talldude:  Thanks for the reply and help with the research.  Miraflores is where I surfed once while in transit in Lima two years ago.  I was able to rent a decent surf SUP down at the beach.  There was a swell, but it was pretty lumpy.  Miraflores is supposed to be one of the safest areas within the Lima city limits.  I may well be there for the work part of the next trip I am taking, but was thinking of getting out of the city.  Hence looking at Punta Hermosa.

I have been to the coast of Chile West and North of Santiago, and there definitely is surf.  I spent some time in Valparaiso and Vina del Mar, and drove North of that.  The coast reminded me of California in some ways, and there were a number of (wetsuited) surfers along the coast.  A number of places along that coast seemed pretty affluent, so I am surprised to hear it may not be (relatively) safe.

Thanks again for helping with the research.

NEsurfSUP
Angulo surfa 9'8
Naish Mana 10'
Red Sport 11'
2014 Naish Glide 14'
Werner nitro

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 03:29:08 PM »
We'll have to visit my cousin in Chile. He's originally from Huntington Beach, and has said there is a resemblance to California. He and his wife live in Vina del Mar and they own property to the south that looks like the coast of Oregon. He's a professor and has in the past worked at the university of Santiago. He says it's really safe there, but it seems like there are iron fences around everything and bars on most of the first floor windows. I wonder why?
It's not overhead to me!

NEsurfSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 03:48:52 PM »
Earthquakes and tsunamis? ;)

Joking aside, it was a nice coastline, and I did flatwater paddle in Valparaiso harbor (there was a SUP rental place there).
Angulo surfa 9'8
Naish Mana 10'
Red Sport 11'
2014 Naish Glide 14'
Werner nitro

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal