Author Topic: Admitting you have gone too advanced too quickly.........  (Read 10546 times)

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Admitting you have gone too advanced too quickly.........
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2018, 11:57:38 AM »
My fave boards are the ones that I don’t have to think about them when I’m out....I just go and surf. I’ve tried lower volume, narrower more advanced shapes and spent too much time concentrating on managing them into position, keeping upright and dreading mucking up take offs. For me that’s no fun....I just stick to boards that are easier to handle and get shed loads of waves....I improve that way. Once you get bored or find one that has got just too easy then i know it’s time for something else. I keep my boards on the higher volume end...suits me better.

Haggis

• Haggis
  • Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2018, 07:10:25 PM »
Had the same problem, went from 10ft whopper to 9 5 whopper then after some bad advice bought a jimmy lewis world wide . What a mistake,  board was well made and light, but was very CORKY,   to me corky and unstable are the same but apparently  they are not . For me it took the fun out of being on the water or in it with the WW.  Now riding a jp 8 8 widebody and its good, but i still think the 9 5 whopper is the one for me, 6ft and 95kgs.
 ;D
whopper 9 5
jl ww
jp widebody

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2018, 08:39:58 PM »
can somebody explain what corky mean?
Is it wobbly side to side or tip front and back or is it the board is generally unstable to stand on?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2018, 10:16:06 PM »
Corky to me is a board with too much volume in the wrong spots. I've surfed a few boards that were short board shaped (pulled in nose and tail), but wider than normal, high in volume, and lighter than usual. When you bury the rail, it doesn't hold. It's like you're trying to push a balloon under water, but it doesn't want to stay. Just surfs Funky...
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supthecreek

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2018, 05:45:16 AM »
can somebody explain what corky mean?
Is it wobbly side to side or tip front and back or is it the board is generally unstable to stand on?

Corky to me:
Thick rails that feel stable because they don't sink easily..... most folks start out on them because they feel more solid in the water.
"Corky" is what happens when you dip one side into the water.
Once under, all that volume pops back up quickly and causes the rider to wobble the other side under the water.
Controlling the wobbles gives the board a feeling like a cork..... push it down and it "pops" back quickly.
right/left/right/left until you settle down.
Similar to over steering a car on ice.

Boards with less volume on the rails, feel tippier when you first get on one, because the rails sink so easily.
Soon you realize that the low volume rails don't "pop" back up quickly at all, so the board wobbles much less on recovery.
The overall movement of a thin railed board is more subtle

I used to love fat rail boards and felt very comfortable on them...
now that I am used to thin rail boards....
fat rails feel very "corky" to me because of the "over correction" from a dip.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2018, 12:43:59 PM »
I’ve been on a JL WW.....certainly not corky imho....it’s a board that is pretty wobbly though....more than the dims would suggest. But it is pretty high performance imho with low volume fish tail and pointy nose. I was on the 8 ft 5.

I did have a corky board that had too much volume all round for its length...sat high in the water and wobbly too...sold that one within a couple of months.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 01:19:22 PM by coldsup »

devon_sup_surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2018, 11:04:12 PM »
Hi guys

I thought I would update this thread as I have finally made a decision. Thanks to everyone for their advice.

After a couple more very frustrating sessions on my acid- on fat shallow waves in semi choppy conditions i spent 99% of the time sitting down and caught just 2-3 shoulder high waves. I missed dozens. The board just wouldn't catch them and it was so tippy I couldn't paddle properly for them either.

So- a bargain board turned up locally and I snapped it up. It's a starboard converse. 9' 30" 137L.

After my first session yesterday- Wave numbers were totally reversed. I spent 99% of the time standing, caught dozens of waves and fell over just a couple of times.

On the wave (6-7' faces, fairly shallow) the board caught them easily. Glide was very reasonable and she seemed happy with the wave size. There's a reasonable amount of rocker on the nose, almost none on the tail and she has thick chunky rails all along- except for the tail section which is really quite thin and has a sharper rail.

As with most boards- having my rear foot on the tail pad really made the board come alive and it turned surprisingly well. I think it will really teach me to do this.

Cons-

Quite heavy in the basic wood construction. You're aware of the weight as you try and turn it.

Quite slow on the wave. Generating speed wasn't that easy- partly because if the weight. I missed a couple of close out sections that im certain i wouldnt even have noticed on my acid. She does have a large centre fin as a thruster setup at the moment- I'm wondering if a quad setup will work better and make her a bit faster.

Is she corky? I suppose she is a little. But at least I can stand on the damn thing.

Finally I'm not sure how well she will cope with steeper waves. That fat nose and minimal tail rocker may mean she struggles I'm not sure. It may be that if the waves are steep and large enough to require the acid- but the water too rough for it- I may just have to find a more suitable beach.

Conclusion- well she doesn't totally solve my situation- but she's a vast improvement and medium term solution. I will experiment with fins in the hope she can be a bit quicker- but I could do with learning how to generate more speed and really getting my rear foot right back to turn so that's no bad thing..I just love the wave count.

Volume wise i could lose 10L and enjoy thinner rails i think- especially if i shed a few kg of weight- and medium- long term I would like to replace her with a performance longboard and a shorter skateboard type board. But at the moment- the wave count is just winning it for me :D

Thanks again for everyone's advice.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal