Author Topic: Surf Etiquette reminder  (Read 7154 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Surf Etiquette reminder
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 05:33:56 AM »
Be predictable, head straight for the broken wave behind the rider...
wait and go behind the surfer  just take the white water hit and hang on to your board

That tactic doesn't always work well at point breaks because if you fall taking the whitewater, you then become an obstacle to the person on the next wave.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 07:01:25 AM »
True, if you try to hold your position.  That's why you need to boogie it in to the inside on the whitewash.  Then make the longer paddle out.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 07:04:46 AM »
Right, or in the case of a point break, the walk up the beach.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 07:39:37 AM »
Be the bigger person - Avoid collision at all costs.

When we are on SUP's we have a HUGE advantage.  We catch 2X++ as many as the laydown lackeys.

When I surf with laydown guys, and see that they are good, I will paddle over and say -

"Take every wave you want.  If I take off deep and you can catch the wave wide - Go For It!  I will go into the pit.  If you're inside I will kick out." 

Usually this is enough to break the ice and make friends.  If you're a good surfer and say this they will respect you.  If you are NOT good and say this they probably will not know what to make of it . . .  and respect you more

The sad reality is that 1/2 of the people on SUP's are not following rules and are wave hogs and 2/3's of the people on laydown boards are just the same.  I am ONLY giving the edge to the SUP guys because most of us are aware that everyone hates us and that we have a huge DORK bulls-eye on our chests.  The majority of laydown guys are only there because they bought a long board after seeing a picture of Mick Fanning in Men's Journal.

This 100% is how I approach the lineup. I've been riding consistently at the same spot for 3 or 4 years now. I used to longboard, I moved to a SUP mostly because of our waves and I just genuinely like to maximize my days in the water. I like to think I've built up a respect level based on that same attitude. Look, you are on a SUP you can literally out-paddle 95% of the surfers in 95% of the conditions (I'm generalizing but you get the point).

I make it a point to paddle out to a new spot off to the shoulder of the main break and to let quite a few waves go, especially set waves. Why - because again, we can literally catch anything, so you will get your waves. If your goal is quantity, paddle by yourself somewhere.

With regard to the OP, it's definitely tougher not being able to manuever as quick with whitewater to get out of the way on the inside, but I know that as soon as I end a wave I look out the back for someone catching a wave. Paddle prone hard for the whitewater if need be. I've seen way too many times SUP's where they just stand there waiting to get back on their boards and just yell to get the surfer's attention instead of doing their best to get out of the way.

This really is our biggest issue when it comes to SUP and growing the sport with regard to surfing. I love the sport, but dear lord, if you don't know etiquette go off by yourself.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2018, 09:21:18 AM »
As a beginner/intermediate, I tried recently to go near other surfers on a peak, and for the most part I did okay. But I quickly realized that there are situations that I am not in control--especially when paddling out. So I have been again surfing off of the peak--often way off of the peak. Unfortunately, this makes my progression difficult, as the Rockaway beach break is brutal unless you are near the Jetty. Also, as a lone paddler, I still want to be fairly near the surfers, for safety sake, and not take off down the beach for the really lonely spots that look better down the beach.

It keeps my wave count down, but safety first.

Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2018, 10:49:54 AM »
wait and go behind the surfer  just take the white water hit and hang on to your board

That tactic doesn't always work well at point breaks because if you fall taking the whitewater, you then become an obstacle to the person on the next wave.

how so?? if youre paddling out (especially on a point break, where the waves and where/how they break are predictable) and you turn into the whitewater to provide clearance to the face for a surfer on the wave, you will surface in front of the next wave's whitewater, likely even further from the face than with the first wave. if there's no one on that wave, paddle like a mofo to get the face and avoid the hit--if there's someone on the next wave just take the hit again.

with a beach break, occasionally the waves will realign, so that if you turn into the whitewater when paddling out, there's a chance that when you surface, you'll be in front of the face of the next wave--- but that would be pretty uncommon in beach break even, for waves to realign so much, from one wave to the next.

and whatever the case, with the wave in front of you, if there's a guy on the face, and you risk confusing or blocking him, paddle to the whitewater so he has the whole face, and isnt guessing which way to try to get around you--and re the next wave, deal with that too--but with the first wave, dont just block a guy because, in the effort to get out of that guy's way, you might possibly block the guy on the next wave, in case it turns out there is actually a guy on the next wave.

and what bean said: make it obvious early that you are going to the white--lets the guy on the wave operate with zero worry re you--and the obviousness will be apparent to everyone at the break who can see---if you make it obvious that you are trying to do the right thing, shit will go better overall---and you make a collision or injury least likely

i surf often as the sole sup in the lineup--if there's a problem that involves a sup, the groupthink tends to indict the supper--i work hard to be known as the guy who always gets out of the way, always keeps board away from others, never drops a guy (obvi), etc--and at my local, i now know most locals, and they know i strive to do the right thing--gotta err on the side of etiquette as a supper, given the hate---gotta counter the hate unfortunately--but once countered, shit goes much better, if not quite well
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 10:52:13 AM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2018, 02:02:43 PM »

i surf often as the sole sup in the lineup--if there's a problem that involves a sup, the groupthink tends to indict the supper--i work hard to be known as the guy who always gets out of the way, always keeps board away from others, never drops a guy (obvi), etc--and at my local, i now know most locals, and they know i strive to do the right thing--gotta err on the side of etiquette as a supper, given the hate---gotta counter the hate unfortunately--but once countered, shit goes much better, if not quite well

Same, I've had surfers approach me to go talk to another SUP'er a few times, and it generally ended in me getting rather pissed and telling him to basically stay away from all surfers. It's always one of 2 attitudes/problems:

1. I have no clue about surf etiquette or just any sense about waves breaking at all. Quite a few don't understand that if a wave is breaking who's on the inside, wtf?

2. Surfers are all a$$holes, and they are out to get me because I'm on a SUP.

It's the most aggreviating thing ever. So, basically if a surfer cuts me off because either he's being a jackass or doesn't know any better, I generally let it go (well once). If a SUP does it to me or anyone else, I say something.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2018, 02:04:35 PM »
also, i get more waves than any surfer at my local--every session--and way more waves than most--i tend not to sweat someone taking a wave that shd be mine or dropping me--and if a guy apologises, i always say--dont worry, i get tons of waves

i do, however, quickly mark the many idiots who paddle for every wave and never take one--i simply eliminate them from the equation when i consider what to go for

and on that, if a wave is yours, and you paddle for it, go for the drop--if you take every wave you paddle for, you will be less likely to have issues

if your skills arent suffiicient to take all or most the waves you paddle for, you shd not be in a crowded lineup

and some lineups are so crowded it would be ridiculous to be in the mix at all on an sup--at B90 St Rockaway the other day the crowd by the jetty peak was so thick i asked "are they all holding hands?" --sucked bc, but for the jetty peak, it was full closeout--i rode a bunch of closeouts--whatever
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2018, 03:07:07 AM »
Miss your wave, back to the end of the rotation.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2018, 08:54:14 AM »
bean's posts are spot on--and a good example of short and sweet

maybe an example i shd aspire to!!

ha!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2018, 09:11:07 AM »
Line-up? Rotation?

That's the way it should be!

Crazy wave count SUP guys who never surfed are, unfortunately, usually part of the problem, not of the solution..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2018, 07:36:14 AM »
Drives me nuts when a guy goes for a wave...misses it....then just goes for the next wave despite the fact that someone is already waiting and positioned for it. I only take mulligans when nobody else is there.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2018, 09:42:46 PM »
Well at apredictable point break you can usually be way wide of the shoulder and face and give a hoot to rider as they by    my earler post was meant to describe conditions more akin to  typical shifty peaks where channels are not predictable  consitenly   
 My point is do whatever you  need to do to stay out of riders way   
In my experience that is the main area where mnew surfers  dont know  the rules of the line up   i have told many new grems  that     and there is no way they can paddle faster than a rideron a wave so   why  try to out run him/her over the  face of the wave

"  its just a good wsy to get hurt or worse a ding in your board"
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal