Author Topic: Surf Etiquette reminder  (Read 7156 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Surf Etiquette reminder
« on: October 12, 2018, 05:47:13 PM »
Just a reminder to all those who surf.

It is the responsibility of every surfer to get out of the way of the person riding the wave.

I see way too many people who seem to expect the person riding the wave to go around them. If the guy on the wave has to make evasive maneuvers to avoid hitting you, then you have just ruined the wave for him. At least make an effort to get out of the way.  ::)

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Surf Etiquette reminder
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 06:35:43 PM »
So you’re paddling out. Guy is taking a right coming down the line. He seems far enough away, but you can tell there’s no way in hell you’ll make it past in front of him before he’s on top of you. And if you decide you’re going to paddle to the right and try and pass behind him you realize you’re just putting the two of you on a collision course. What do you do? I’ve at times paused, and gratefully received a signal from the oncoming surfer as to what they want me to do. But often it seems like the choice of paths is not entirely clear cut. Anyone else?

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 06:46:55 PM »
Be predictable, head straight for the broken wave behind the rider...

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 07:06:53 PM »
Yes, the default common courtesy is to go behind the person on the wave.  The person riding the wave should expect you to do that, and as Bean said, make it obvious and predictable that you are going behind him/her.  If, as you said, you are far enough ahead of the rider so that trying to go behind him would put you on a collision course, then you probably have time to hurry past in front.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 07:08:57 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 02:06:42 AM »
In the heat of the moment, for sure at a shifting beachbreak, it can get close. Anyone can screw up the decision by accident.

But the points given above are clear. Sometimes you have to just stop paddling, let the surfer go by and wear the wave on your head.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 02:39:13 AM »
The problem is those who don't even make an attempt to get out of the way. We all have close calls now and then, but to just sit there or stand there selfishly waiting for a wave is moronic.

and what about those people on the inside who paddle for the wave and don't even look back to see that you're on the wave and are about to run them over. I've had to do some quick maneuvers to avoid collision in those cases.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 05:32:52 AM »
Be the bigger person - Avoid collision at all costs.

When we are on SUP's we have a HUGE advantage.  We catch 2X++ as many as the laydown lackeys.

When I surf with laydown guys, and see that they are good, I will paddle over and say -

"Take every wave you want.  If I take off deep and you can catch the wave wide - Go For It!  I will go into the pit.  If you're inside I will kick out." 

Usually this is enough to break the ice and make friends.  If you're a good surfer and say this they will respect you.  If you are NOT good and say this they probably will not know what to make of it . . .  and respect you more

The sad reality is that 1/2 of the people on SUP's are not following rules and are wave hogs and 2/3's of the people on laydown boards are just the same.  I am ONLY giving the edge to the SUP guys because most of us are aware that everyone hates us and that we have a huge DORK bulls-eye on our chests.  The majority of laydown guys are only there because they bought a long board after seeing a picture of Mick Fanning in Men's Journal. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 05:37:49 AM by Beasho »

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 06:44:44 AM »
Spot on Beasho, i always communicate to my prone buddies that are struggling on marginal “normal” days go for it as I can get anything I want and it’s no problem. Now on head plus days everyone needs to behave and pls don’t be wave hogs, I make it a point to let many set wave go thru, most good prone guys will acknowledge this by not snaking you.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 11:57:37 AM »
Just beware of who you are talking to.  Some might find the “take any wave you want” talk a little patronizing. 

Stand up paddlers can be disconnected from the lineup, we drift differently and we are more apt to move around.  Surfers sometimes see this as aggressive positioning, and maybe even snaking, especially if there is a defined takeoff spot.  Lately, when the lineup is near full, I’ll paddle out and sit down for a couple.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 12:10:13 PM »
I've always done the same Beasho...I know I'll get my share of waves and it is most definitely the best way to break the ice but it only goes so far. we still have to deal with the dickheads...I had a great wave ruined by a guy dropping in last Sunday. Sometimes it doesn't matter how nice/thoughtful you might be.

Same day I had an incident that involved the original post and the concerns posted after. I was walking out pushing my board in front of me when A shortboarder got a wave...I could see his path was likely to cross me so I starting pushing the board parallel to the beach to get behind him....I was hooting for him because he was crouched low tucked into a little tube. Just as he was about to pass by just outside of me the wave closed on him and drove him into me...I was able to just shove my board behind him. I don't know how we didn't hit...I whacked his board with my arm but that was it and we both came up inches from each other. After assuring each other we were fine and our boards were OK we laughed about it...told him I wished I'd had a GOPro running because his ride was sick up until that point. He said that he saw me trying to get behind him and that's when he went for the tube....1st one he had managed that day....we fist bumped and parted..... :)

I paddle around a lot especially a beach breaks, Sunday was crowded at Nantasket....I go from spot to spot just to spread it out and as the changing tide dictates but I always wait a few sets at each spot if there are others inside. I usually wait until a big set has cleared the lineup before taking my 1st at a spot.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 12:19:32 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 02:19:11 PM »
I have found that the number of individuals CAPABLE of courtesy to be limited around my l'il ole stomping grounds of Privates and Sharks.  They either don't know or don't care.

I practice defensive as much as possible, but still not possible to avoid every incident.  I yield to whoever comes down the line, but sometimes guys who aren't that skilled catch powerful waves and they don't maneuver, just steamroll.

Fog and large waves are the worst because guys who can't maneuver will just fly on in on faith through the stuff.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 09:14:36 PM »

Exactly. Also if you’re on the inside and someone is in position and paddling for a wave and you’re in their path MOVE.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 06:25:01 AM »
yep--exactly what bean said--early on, make it clear you are paddling to take the hit

now do surfers provide same clearance to sups on the wave as they do for laydown bro's and sis's, or as i meticulously provide them?

closest i ever got to a fight in the water was when a local bully brazenly dropped me and we both wiped out--where he then started yelling at me about it--i went nuts and fortunately the guy thought i was nuts, so he paddled away--no winning in physical fights at my age, or any age, really--one can get injured badly, or, perhaps worse, accidentally seriously injure someone else
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 06:37:00 AM »
Yup.....very fortunate that I grew up before the days of cell phones everything being captured on video. If I had been born during the Viking ages I'd have been a berserker. I think back on how I was and I realize how lucky I was. I still have to keep a lid on it...but at least I have a lid now.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 10:41:47 PM »
wait and go behind the surfer  just take the white water hit and hang on to your board 
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal