Author Topic: Paddle for surfing, what is a good choice?  (Read 7778 times)

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Paddle for surfing, what is a good choice?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2018, 07:04:58 PM »
Update - got the Werner Rip Stick 79 and had it out for a 2-hr session. Definitely works for me & checks all my boxes - shaft has good flex & coupled with the small blade, felt easy on my shoulders. No lack of power for me at only 165 lbs.

The leverlock adjustable with t-grip is nice, too, allowing for adjustability on the fly (unlike the hot glue I'd gotten used to). I cut the shaft so that it starts at head high & adjusts 8" up from there. Obviously the leverlock system adds some weight to the equation, but I like being able to adjust 1-3" between boards, etc.

The paddle weighs 20.3 oz., with the leverlock accounting for 6.75 oz of that total. Not in the super duper ultralight category, but I'm fine with it for surfing as I don't do distance touring or racing at all these days.

If I ever dial it in for one specific board, I can always order a carbon handle and glue it in, too. That would cut the weight substantially. So if you get the one-piece, it will be in the ultralight category.

Solid option in the low $300 range. I don't paddle surf that often these days so I didn't feel like dropping $400+ on a Black Project or new Ke Nalu.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 07:06:42 PM by Fog City Rider »
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2018, 05:10:28 PM »
Thanks everybody. I just got back to this, sorry about the delay. I am actually thinking about the hippostick blur at this point. 82 sq inches, I believe, designed for surfing. Anybody have any thoughts on the Blur Pro? Is the shaft flexy?  I would like a flexible shaft to diminish shoulder strain.

Also, here is a weird thing. I am 5'10.5", that is, 70.5" tall, and my current paddle, which feels right to me, is 79.5". (I actually dialed in on this length using a Kialoa with an adjustable T-top.)  Is that crazy that my preferred paddle length is so long? Maybe I need to revisit that? (I want to be sure before I spend $400.)

PS. I ride a pretty long board, 10' infinity new deal.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2018, 07:08:31 PM »
My surf paddle(s) are 4" over my head. My distance / racing paddle is 14" over my head. Pretty much set that way for over 5 years now. I've gone shorter (chin high) with my surf paddle but it caused back pain and felt awkward. I gave it a few months before I realized it wasn't better for me to go that short. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2018, 07:09:25 PM »
Thanks everybody. I just got back to this, sorry about the delay. I am actually thinking about the hippostick blur at this point. 82 sq inches, I believe, designed for surfing. Anybody have any thoughts on the Blur Pro? Is the shaft flexy?  I would like a flexible shaft to diminish shoulder strain.

Also, here is a weird thing. I am 5'10.5", that is, 70.5" tall, and my current paddle, which feels right to me, is 79.5". (I actually dialed in on this length using a Kialoa with an adjustable T-top.)  Is that crazy that my preferred paddle length is so long? Maybe I need to revisit that? (I want to be sure before I spend $400.)

PS. I ride a pretty long board, 10' infinity new deal.

Yeah, you definitely need to try a shorter paddle. I'm around head high on my paddle and 6' tall. A longer paddle doesn't allow you to bend your knees properly and to get low on a wave, and it throws your stance off. Have someone film you if possible.

I'll agree with TallDude, I went down too short (for me around nose or so) and it caused a bit of back pain. Head high seems to be the sweet spot (although I could probably go down another inch).
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2018, 06:04:56 AM »
Thanks APPST. I realize you are correct. My problem is I want to get a lighter paddle now, and I am not what length to get exactly. (Like how much shorter to go.) With a Ke Nalu, can I change the length every week by unglueing and cutting until it seems right? Is that a realistic thing to do?

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2018, 07:12:06 AM »
If you get the extended handle you cut just once....if you cut the shaft so that it's head high with the handle all the way in all you need to do is heat it and adjust until you find what you like. The extended handle allows for 10" of adjustment...more than enough for most needs.
If you don't get the extended handle then you start long and take off small amounts until you find what you like....not as simple and there is a risk of going too short....but if you do then you buy an extended handle.... :)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2018, 08:59:02 AM »
Thanks a lot Stoneaxe. This is really helpful!!! I replied on the other post.

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2018, 10:08:23 AM »
    I ended up getting a Ke Nalu and I have to say it is an awesome paddle. Much much better that anything I have used in the past. Not to name names, but I have had a lot of paddles. Originally I was thinking that I would not get a Ke Nalu, because I did not want to mess with hot glue. Then a few people mentioned how great Ke Nalu paddles are. I am glad I took the plunge. The feel of the blade is beyond awesome. (Manu 82 sq inch). The xTuf shaft feels just right to me. Not too flexible at all and I glad I did not get the xTufS, which is stiffer. The handle is nice. The overall feel of the paddle is really beyond what I thought possible. I felt like I was surfing a smaller board than I actually was, because the paddle just makes everything feel nimble and responsive.
    I really appreciate all the people who pushed me toward Ke Nalu. I feel pretty confident that it is a lot better than the V-drive or really any other paddle, including the hippostick. Learning how to hot glue is totally worth it.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2018, 07:26:48 AM »
Update - got the Werner Rip Stick 79 and had it out for a 2-hr session. Definitely works for me & checks all my boxes - shaft has good flex & coupled with the small blade, felt easy on my shoulders. No lack of power for me at only 165 lbs.

The leverlock adjustable with t-grip is nice, too, allowing for adjustability on the fly (unlike the hot glue I'd gotten used to). I cut the shaft so that it starts at head high & adjusts 8" up from there. Obviously the leverlock system adds some weight to the equation, but I like being able to adjust 1-3" between boards, etc.

The paddle weighs 20.3 oz., with the leverlock accounting for 6.75 oz of that total. Not in the super duper ultralight category, but I'm fine with it for surfing as I don't do distance touring or racing at all these days.

If I ever dial it in for one specific board, I can always order a carbon handle and glue it in, too. That would cut the weight substantially. So if you get the one-piece, it will be in the ultralight category.

Solid option in the low $300 range. I don't paddle surf that often these days so I didn't feel like dropping $400+ on a Black Project or new Ke Nalu.

I just received my Rip Stick 79 1-piece with the smaller shaft, I went with 73" in length (1" OH) just to make sure I wasn't going too short with the smaller blade. I'll post a more complete review later (when we get surf this weekend), but I took it out on flatwater yesterday afternoon along with my normal Hippostick surf paddle and compared back and forth.

It's pretty interesting the contrast, the thing that stood out the most was that the smaller shaft felt lighter and more agile in my hands. The downside is the handle is a bit too small, it would be nice to have a normal handle with a smaller shaft. It's definitely faster in/out for high cadence, which is what I wanted. I also felt like I was getting a nice solid catch and smooth in/out with it. I simulated some quick starts as if catching a wave, and it's preferable to my Hippostick. Going back to the Hippostick felt like swinging an axe compared to the smaller blade (89 sq. in Hippostick to 79 sq in. Rip Stick).

So, all in all, I'm initially pleased, it's basically like changing gears, and I think in the long run it will help with surfing and my shoulder pain.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2018, 10:25:17 AM »
I just picked up a Quickblade V drive 91 last week at their sample blem sale.  Man what a difference versus the generic adjustable paddle that i had.  They custom sized it for my height.  It has the oval tapered shaft with some extra grippiness on the shaft.  Not sure what they did but feels like scales or something that makes it easy to hold on to and not slip.  the paddle design with the scoop seems to work better too and the size/weight helps my cadence.  Really happy with my decision to upgrade my paddle. 

Jim is a really good guy too, he showed me around the shop.  If you are in the area, you should check them out.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal