Author Topic: Paddle for surfing, what is a good choice?  (Read 7782 times)

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Paddle for surfing, what is a good choice?
« on: October 12, 2018, 02:30:21 PM »
I am interested in getting a really good, kind of high-end paddle for SUP surfing. Someone steered me toward a quickblade V drive with like an 81 area. (I weight about 160 lbs.) Interestingly, they suggested that the V Drive Vector Net might be preferable to the V Drive All Carbon due to more flex. Also, any advice on whether an EVA grip is a good idea? And is an oval shaft preferable to a round shaft?
I also heard that ZRE makes really good paddles. Probably lots of other places too. What do you recommend for a high-end surf paddle?

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Paddle for surfing, what is a good choice?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 02:53:56 PM »
Any of those brand you mentioned are good. Just make sure you get the right flex shaft and blade size to your height to weight ratio? Best to ask the question direct to the brand you choose?

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 03:14:33 PM »
Go with kenalu. Their parts interchangeability is awesome. You break quickblade blade you might as well toss it in the garbage. And I own 4 qb paddles. Their new shaft is too slippery too - they used to be better.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 03:37:42 PM »
Thanks. So like a Mana 82 or something? Do you like their ergo T handle? What about shaft?

Is that more of a race paddle or a surf paddle?

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 05:37:20 PM »
The Mana and Konihi are designed for race but I know people that love them in the surf.  I’ve used Ke Nalu since the first shipment hit the mainland and my preference for surf is the Wiki Elite 74 blade, xTuf S shaft and the Ergo T. With this combo you have an extremely lightweight paddle. You can swap out for an xTuf blade but for me the Elite holds up fine. If you’re in SoCal you can try mine.

I think EVA grips are a personal preference. I used to use oval shaft paddles mainly because the blades flutter and I needed it for control but it’s not an issue with Ke Nalu. I can almost paddle open palm and still get a good pull through the water. The texture on the shaft is great and I never get blisters but if you don’t like it you can sand it down with some very light grade sandpaper.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 05:41:07 PM by capobeachboy »
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 09:50:03 AM »
The Konihi can be tough to handle in surf, especially for bracing--the side wings on the back of the blade catch the surface. Some people love it, I kind of got used to it, but I still don't like it. Great for downwind and racing though. The Mana has wings too, but they're shorter and more subtle, so I don't notice them, I use a Mana 90 to surf. The biggest advantage to the Mana is if I screw up the catch the Mana kind of self-corrects, whereas the Konihi just punishes you. Any of the original blades are fine for surfing, if your technique is good then the Wiki is great, if you tend to get a little sloppy when you're going for a wave then the Maliko is a better choice. The Molokai is a monster, the only person I know of that still uses it is Devin Blish--who probably weighs 120#. Go figure. She accelerates out of the hole like an F1 car, rarely misses a wave and blows my doors off downwinding, so I'm not giving her any paddle advice.

I think EVA or anything soft on a handle or shaft is a mistake. You wind up squeezing the grip, and that's the opposite of what you want to do. Relaxed hands is the goal.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 09:52:16 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Mil-Surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 12:43:09 PM »
Check out 27North paddles. Absolute bomb proof surf paddles. I have had the Kevlar paddle for 4 years now and it still looks brand new.  Comes with a lifetime warranty.
Jimmy Lewis Destroyer
7’7”x29”@100ltrs

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 01:48:18 PM »
Where are you located Zack. Not sure what opportunities you may have to demo but I think paddle preference is more personal than boards....especially once you start talking blade size and flex. Lots of good brands...not sure you go wrong with any of the better ones. I'm partial to Ke Nalu too but I have a bias since its all I've paddled since Pono and Lane started the Co. and haven't tried any others lately. As mentioned the interchangeability of the Ke Nalus is awesome.

Funny, I loved the Konihi for distance and race...but didn't like it for surf because of the catching and bracing issue.....but now it's all I use.....nothing braces better than the backside of a Konihi...like sticking it in cement. Once you learn to use it to advantage its great and I no longer catch the wings. I think we naturally get used to using what we have and problems can become features with time. I can't remember the last time I used my Maliko, been at least a year and I should give away my Molokai. Things change....it's all I used to use.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 03:23:50 PM »
Check out 27North paddles. Absolute bomb proof surf paddles. I have had the Kevlar paddle for 4 years now and it still looks brand new.  Comes with a lifetime warranty.

+1. I snapped one of their Kevlar paddles and they replaced it straight up. Best warranty in the industry.

devon_sup_surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 03:28:56 PM »
I have destroyed 5 paddles since i started surfing in 3 years.

I have snapped clean in half 2 plastic ones and one v rubbish fibreglass one. Just by putting some real power behind them.

I have also broken one full carbon SIC (£££) and one Nash carbon fibreglass mix (£££)

The SIC snapped when it got caught between the fins of my board and the wave power torqued it in half. The naish got hit hard by the board and snapped. Both bad luck. I'm hard on gear.

I love the confidence a decent carbon paddle gives me in the water. It makes a huge difference. I will never surf without a carbon paddle if I can avoid it.

If I surf daily for a week- I get inflammation of my elbow. Carbon is tough on the joints.

Surfing is tough on kit. I wouldn't want to surf with a £400 paddle. Not when a £150 will work just as well.

Carbon is tough on joints. Flex helps a paddle. Use a shaft with at least medium flex. More may well be better here.

I now use a Gong paddle. For £150 it's fine.

I would buy the warranty Kevlar paddle if I could but I'm UK so not an option.

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 06:54:01 PM »
I'm using a Chinook Thrust (v-drive imitation) 92 all carbon for surf. This is my first paddle with an oval shaft and I love the self positioning feature for quickly and automatically (85% of the time) getting the paddle in the right orientation. I will buy a Chinook Thrust (v-drive imitation) 82 3 piece travel paddle for a trip to Maui in late Nov and will see if I like the smaller paddle area for quicker strokes. Don't really know much about shaft stiffness for surfing but trying to learn more. I am guessing the oval carbon shaft in above paddle is quite stiff.
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 08:06:09 PM »
I used a Ke Nalu Xtuf(s) shaft with the adjustable Ergo T handle off & on for 6 years, from the learning stages to the intermediate stage in the surf. Started with a Maliko blade, went down to a Ho'ola 84.

I used Werners extensively throughout my paddling career, but always went back to the Ke Nalu for surfing because of the flexy shaft, smaller blade, & adjustable handle.

Lost the Ke Nalu a couple weeks ago (sh*t happens) & impulsively ordered a Werner Rip Stick 79 w/ their new leverlok adjustable system. The Werner shaft used to be too stiff, but apparently they've softened this one up. Hopefully it's good.

San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 05:24:53 AM »
I'll throw my 2 cents in - I've tried both the 27N paddles and the KeNalu, as well as what I'm paddling now - a Hippostick Al Pro 8.0.

Paddles are very individualized, so if you can't demo one, I'd look at the features you are interested in. I'll add in I've broken 2 paddles before the KeNalu and Hippostick, no issues with either of those.

KeNalu is great because of the modularity, the downside being that I've had handles that eventually leak/move. It's not a huge deal, you just re-glue, and it could just be me not gluing properly. Case in point with modularity, I started with a bigger blade (95 sq in), when I moved down to in blade size, I bought an extended handle and re-purposed it for my race/distance paddle.

27N is rock solid, nice guys, and I really liked how the paddle performed, but that Kevlar comes at the cost of weight. KeNalu/Hippostick will be in the 14-15oz range mostly, 27N is 20oz.

Hippostick is my primary surf paddle right now, mainly because when I tried several paddles back to back (QB, my Kenalu at the time, and one other against the Hippo) I liked the Hippo better.

The main things to look at beyond that is blade size, I'm in the mid 80's at 78kg/170 lbs. and length obviously - I'm even with my head, and I'm 6'0".
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 10:41:16 AM »
We sell alot of different(QB, Kialoa, Chinook ect...) Paddles and they are all good BUT...
NO ONE HAS EVER COMPLAINED ABOUT A KENALU PADDLE.

It is that simple

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

JVM

• Halifax Paddlesurf
  • Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Halifax Paddlesurf
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2018, 01:34:54 PM »
Not sure if you have a Blackfish paddle dealer in you area. They have a full carbon 1 piece Nootka coming for 2019 for $399 CAD
DEALER FOR--------------------------------
INFINITY BOARDS
ONE STAND UP BOARDS
SUNOVA SUP
AXIS FOILS
VISSLA
ISURUS
BLACKFISH PADDLES
BLACK PROJECT FINS AND PADDLES

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal