Author Topic: Ireland.....Wow! Had I known....  (Read 5870 times)

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Ireland.....Wow! Had I known....
« on: October 11, 2018, 08:51:09 AM »
Just spent the last 10 days vacationing in Ireland and had no clue that the country had such surf trip potential!  I had heard prior to going that there where a couple of surf spots on our route (Dublin to Galway on the West Coast then south around the country for the next week back to Dublin).  And I hear up in northern Ireland its downright top notch big wave stuff.

One of the stops was in Dingle at Inch Beach where the pic was taken, but as we drove south I saw more and more beach and point breaks.....clean, glassy, chest high breaks...most with nobody out....

Next time the suit goes with me!!!!  and maybe a two-piece Creek!!!!  ;)

Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Ireland.....Wow! Had I known....
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 09:02:44 AM »
Yeah, Mullaghmore has some big waves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1hnZM32b3c
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 09:45:52 AM »
Cold. Not a fan of Cold.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 11:20:32 AM »
Awesome Todd, glad you saw some of the surf potential, as well as the Guiness distillery and amazing Irish charm. :)

It looks like a really good right point break, out and to the right of Inch Beach.

Lots of formidable rock cliffs with only the occasional sand beach.... hows the access to the empty points you saw?

2-piece Sunova Creek is made for that kind of trip!

Cold is great crowd control

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 02:54:08 PM »
PB:  Water temp doesn't look too bad.....the temp swing is from the high 40's to 60 degrees F years round.  Hell, we've got a 40-70 degree swing here in the Northeast!  ;)

Creek: I said Inch Beach was in Dingle...it's actually just East and inside what they call the Dingle Pennisula.  What's crazy is there are soooooo many points and different last masses that jut out into the ocean in all directions that it results in conditions varying from flat to head high all within an hours drive or so on any given day - also means that it almost never really matters which way the wind is blowing cuz one could find offshore conditions super easy.  Access looks like it could be interesting....but I saw many accessible spots at a relatively short walk along the way.  There are, however, some cliffs around over 500' straight ass drop down - just nuts! 

Hoping someone here has more info that just my casual observations....
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 03:16:20 PM »
I always zoom in on Google Earth and have a look around at any cool place someone posts about!

Looks like a nice right point at Inch Beach  :)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 03:27:29 PM »
I duno, those waves look cold and scary.  Not sure I can sleep tonight just watching that vid.   :o
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 03:39:01 PM »
PB:  Water temp doesn't look too bad.....the temp swing is from the high 40's to 60 degrees F years round.  Hell, we've got a 40-70 degree swing here in the Northeast!  ;)

You might notice I no longer live in the Northeast--or stay in the Northwest for the winter. Ireland looks great, I want to spend some time there. Maybe rent a motorcycle and ride all the twisties. But get in the water? I like my nuts where they are. Waiting for them to return seems to take longer these days. Most of the irish songs about the ocean seem to revolve around going down in the cold cold depths. I'm writing one in my head right now:

"Ach, the cold wave pushed him down,
his bonnie lips went blue,
the bubbles passed his staring eyes,
but his freezing heart stayed true.
"

Chorus--dirge sounds, lots of piping and drums.

Chan, give me a hand here. You're Irish. Either that or crazy as hell and overeducated. In other words, Irish chick.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 04:29:51 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 03:45:39 PM »
When the water and air are in the 30's and I'm wearing my winter suit, I feel warmer when I'm out surfing than I do at home.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 05:13:24 PM »
My experience on heading to UK in Scotland for surf trips is that yes indeed in the far north the water is freaking cold  and conditions deteriorate in a hurry.  Have you ever surfed with 18 inches of sea foam on the water?  Timing is critical if you want to head back and surf.  Good news is there are plenty of other things to do if the ocean is a blown out mess.   I did a trip to Iceland this summer.  No surfing.

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 10:04:42 AM »
When the water and air are in the 30's and I'm wearing my winter suit, I feel warmer when I'm out surfing than I do at home.

^^Me too Badger.

" There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes."

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 10:06:38 AM by J-Bird »

GregH

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 03:13:51 PM »
Creek : Well spotted - that is a well known right hander - Inch reefs.
https://magicseaweed.com/Inch-Reefs-Surf-Report/53/
 I surfed it 2 or 3 times a good few years ago in a surf kayak - super long rides - I had a gopro on some waves that were  around 1 minute or more. I paddled out from beach but that would be hard on a big swell. Usual access is down rock and dirt cliff with a rope at the end -would be ok with light wind and Beashos  SUP board sling. waves in Kerry -Southern Ire  are v fickle re wind tide swell angle etc. Wind is biggest factor. Inch reefs gets a small crowd in good conditions - maybe 10-20 guys out.

PB:Temps are ok mostly but v cold from late Dec to Mar - Gulfstream keeps water warmer than u expect.  Windchill and v variable strong winds are main problems. Wearing a windproof sleeveless layer under wetsuit helps! I use 5 4  or 5 3 in winter.
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29
7'7'' x29 SIMSUP,
8'5'' x30 JL WWide,
9'8'' x30 SB Element,
12 6 x?29 SB Surf Race

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 05:50:28 PM »
I spent part of my childhood in Inch.  My family's home is just to the right corner on the google map.  The weather is great during the summer months-hardy folks trunk it.  Rainy and grey most of the year -comfy with the right wetsuit.  Last time we visited we rented from:

https://www.jamieknox.com/.

Its been a few years, but they were great.  I don't like the idea of Bill driving 62km on the Irish side of the road Guinness or whiskey in hand.  He is an amazing driver but you have to be Irish to do that.

Also we say very literary not overeducated in Inch.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 02:00:45 AM »
With my retirement approaching and a surf RV on order I had already seen a pic of the beach on a Sprinter forum. A further google search turned up some shots of the point break. Along with Portugal and Morocco, Ireland is definitely on my radar.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2018, 02:28:49 PM »
I thought the Irish didn't SUP because it's too hard to hold a paddle and a bottle of whiskey at the same time.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal